MIMO worth it?

invalid_

Limp Gawd
Going to buy a new router tonight since my netgear finally died after 3 years. Looking at prices I am seeing a jump to the MIMO. Is it worth the cost? Should I go that route or wirelessG for 30 less?

Thanks for any insight.

In case it matters. The routers needs are:

2 hard wired PC's
1 wireless laptop

I don't think its worth it. Don't you need special wireless cards to work with MIMO?

MIMO is most useful in areas with, believe it or not, multipath issues. Plus, it will hit speeds faster than g (I think it'll do 108Mbps theoretical)

MIMO transmits multiple signals at the same time, hence Multiple Input/Multiple Output.

I'm pretty sure, as it is multiple output, you do need a MIMO card as well. However, you can run g without any limitations, which is very different from the b/g mixed mode.

In my opinion...yes..very much so. My opinion based on setting up a few MIMO wlans...and upgrading a few existings B or G wlans to MIMO. I've seen the difference it makes in distance, and getting that signal down hallways and into other rooms.

Not long ago, I did a wireless network at a small school...still a decent sized building built all open beam with exposed air ducts, hung flourescent lights, cinder block walls, rows of lockers in the hallways. I did a site survey based on G...and planned on 3x WAPs. I installed a single Pre-N WAP and got the complete coverage I would have used 3x G WAPs for.

You dont NEED MIMO NICs...you can use old B and G NICs and still benefit from the big increase in range. You only need MIMO NICs to benefit from the full speed...which since most WLANs are for internet access...is usually a "who cares" point.

The price these days is barely more than G products...so "why not"?

Stick with units based on Airgos True MIMO chipset..not others. It's consistantly outperformed other MIMO chipsets in most comparisons.

Back