Mini bluetooth dongles to reach 30 feet?

WarMace

Gawd
I am looking for a bluetooth USB dongle that can deliver A2DP (Stereo Music) to my headphones even when stored in a non-metallic hard case nearby.

Looking at the sleek micro adapters I find it hard to believe they can even broadcast past their own casing.

FUL1_F8T016.jpg
Belkin claims they can reach up to 30'.

Can thease devices really deliver? Or is it wishful thinking?

Since internal wireless cards can't even be seen, they must have uber poor reception.

Walls, obstacles will degrade reception. 30' of unobstructed view to the dongle is plausible, but being conservative I'd say 20'.

Even though the internal ones are hidden, they have a respectable antenna. Where the one above is the size of a chicklet.

313-5190.jpg

I can now see that Newegg advertises the range on their adapters. Even though my run is 4' if I get their most powerful antenna, I should get signal through my hard case.

I'd say 15' unobstructed, 5' obstructed, depending on obstruction, lol. Mind you, these are plain guesses, taking into account personal experiences with a very limited number of USB BT dongles. I'd ask a BT engineer, but I'm not at work right now. :p

My Mogo is able to keep a BT headset connection to my kitchen, prolly 10-15? feet away with 2 walls in between. Cost $10 at Buy.com. Internal wireless cards also have FAR greater range than BT dongles.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back