Mini-ITX Core 2 Solo system

Desdichado

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for a mini-itx or smaller form factor motherboard that includes a pre-soldered u2200/u2100 or u13/14/1500. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

That's along the lines of what I'm looking for, the problem is that because of the power limitations of the system (it's solar powered and runs 24/7 with batteries) I basically need to use one of the ULV processors.

I think the upcoming Intel Atom platform should be a better choice than these core solo for mini-itx mother board.

I have contacted both intel about the Atom, and Via about the Isaiah. However solutions based on those platforms are not going to be widely available for a while, to the best of my knowledge. I need to have these systems built within the next couple weeks.

I can't say specifically, because I'm a consultant, and these are for a client. They are going to be monitoring systems that record and transmit audio data. essentially, they need to be as low power as possible, decently fast while running winrar, and mini-itx form factor, and the mobo-cpu combo can't cost more than say $800. The solar panels and batteries cost a fortune, so the whole system needs to be under 25W running full out doing rar compression.

I'm currently using the J7F2 model listed http://www.jetwaycomputer.com/VIA2.html. Specifically, the J7F2WE1G5. It does well with the power consumption, but doesn't have as much horsepower as I would like.

You could get a mini-ITX MB with a mobile processor. That will get you into the laptop power consumption range. There are some ULV versions of the laptop CPUs.

Search for "socket 479" or "socket P" ITX motherboards and for Intel mobile processors. Pricier than a generic desktop MB+CPU, but decent speeds with little power required.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do, All the ulv ones are mobiles. The problem is that all the ulv devices are BGA, so I need to find them pre-mounted. There are an abundance of socket 479 and P systems in the 20-30W range, but these require to much power.

The problem is that all the ulv devices are BGA

I didn't realize that, nor did I recognize the part numbers you mentioned - sorry.

Mini-ITX are hard to find on the web for some reason. Other than a couple of web sites that always show up with the usual set of MBs (mostly Via it seems), the others are not too numerous. I also see occasional press releases on the next great mini- (nano/pico) ITX MB but they never seem to show up for sale. I've been looking for something in the 20-30W range (not too seriously). Good luck.

Back