Mirror's Edge

gsboriqua

Gawd
So i've been playing mirrors edge and I'm having a hard time figuring out the performance issues I'm running into. When the particles start flying I am taking a bigger hit than I thought I would. I was getting single digit frame rates until I renamed PhysXDevice.dll to something else. Performance shot up but its just not as smooth as I thought it would be. Was curious what people are seeing with the game.

Hardware physics enabled in control panel and in game.

System specs:
Q6600
GTX295
8800GT for physics
4 gb of ram
850 PS
Windows 7

Latest physics drivers from Nvidia along with latest WHQL vista drivers. The windows 7 drivers they released dont have an option to enable or disable SLI in the control panel, along with the physx option..

I would say the most likely culprit is Windows 7....as I heard it runs better with a PhysX card.

I have the issues on Vista and finally just turned off the physx bullshit. I was getting 6 fps every time a physx event was triggered. I have the newest drivers for video and physx and the game is patched. there is a thread about it on the official forums. the person on there said its a conflict with other unreal 3 engine games that use physx. he said to uninstall physx and reinstall but that didnt work for me.

Try renaming that dll file. It made it at least playable, just not as smooth as I thought it would be with what I have installed. Might download and install physix 8, currently have 9 installed.

Try renaming that dll file. It made it at least playable, just not as smooth as I thought it would be with what I have installed. Might download and install physix 8, currently have 9 installed.
well I am almost done with the game and I guess I dont really care to see the physx stuff now. IMO its just gimmicky anyway and offers nothing worthy to the game.

Funny you say that, because most of the explosions/particles seem to happen behind me anyway!!

Try using the GTX295 for Physx as well as graphics. Maybe the 8800GT can't keep up with the Physx load - and that is known to tank frame rates.

My GTX260 ran the game fine at 1920 doing both the graphics and Physx.

Try using the GTX295 for Physx as well as graphics. Maybe the 8800GT can't keep up with the Physx load - and that is known to tank frame rates.

have you looked at any reviews because the 9600gt and above are perfect for using as physx. the 8800gt is MORE than enough and should deliver more performance than using a standalone card for graphics and physx. the problem, at least with mirrors edge was described in my earlier post.

It runs flawlessly with PhysX enabled (on my 295.) Performance is perfect. I haven't seen it drop below 60 with everything maxed. (except I do drop AA to 4X, (8X works great, but it will occasionally drop below sync, so the trade-off wasn't worth it to me.)

I was having a small issue for a while right when I upgraded my drivers. It seems there was something lingering after I uninstalled the previous PhysX driver. So, I did a full uninstall/reinstall of the latest PhysX and GeForce drivers, and everything was silky again. You may want to try this. Otherwise like someone else said, it could be Windows 7?

I'm doing the same thing, 55nm 260, runs amazing! I really love this game. Its much better than that Far Cry 2 bullshit they gave away with the 65nm 260's. Do people agree with me on that?

I had the same thing on Windows 7, had to use safe mode + Revo uninstaller to remove my entire nvidia driver (182.06 at the time). People suggested removing the PhysX drivers which was the cause of the problems so I did that too. Once using the advanced cleaning of Revo, I tried Mirrors Edge after talking to your sister in that green place and it didn't slow down anymore. So I reinstalled PhysX and it's good now.

This is all due to physX. Different driver releases, different hardware, and different OS all have wildly different results.

One Nvidia driver package I tried from a month ago killed this game with PhysX until I disabled it. Then a newer release made it smooth again.

Back