Missing SYS file? What?

dj_spanmaster

Limp Gawd
My portio.sys file is missing - not on the PC at all - and the interesting story of how I found out is below. I'd skip it. After searching the net, it looks necessary for normal port I/O operations in both Windows and Linux applications, but unavailable for download. I was wondering, do any of you have a copy of portio.sys on your XP boxes? If so, can you email me; I would like to use my shiny new toy. Thank you for your time.

Recently I purchased an RCA Lyra 2820 as a closeout from Sears. Upon hooking it up to my XP box by USB 1.1, it failed to connect correctly. Investigating the Device Manager shows "Unknown Device" under USB connections. I know that particular USB port and cable works - I've used it with my camera. I thought I was again a fool for buying a closeout (burned twice by Best Buy, once by EB) when, flippantly, I checked the "Show Hidden Devices" switch. The dreaded exclamation mark stood next to a non-Plug and Play Driver, the PortIO.sys file. And not just misplaced, but missing totally. So, as it says above, I'll probably be needing it sooner rather than later.

Why not just use System File Checker or look on the win xp cd and expand it to your computer?

No such file on the XP Pro CD - checked it twice.
SFC runs, shows (in Event Viewer) a successful ending - still with no portio.sys file.

Not finding that sys file on any of my XP boxes, perhaps it belongs to some 3rd party software?

ok i think thats an NT file , you may need windows 2000 , or nt 4.0 to find it .

yeah i googled , and its def a NT 4.0 file

Catch22sk8r said:
ok i think thats an NT file , you may need windows 2000 , or nt 4.0 to find it .

yeah i googled , and its def a NT 4.0 file

OP stated he is running XP not 2000 or NT4.0

Ok, at work now on a 2000 box. Lyra has the same issue here that it does on XP, so I'm pretty sure it's the player. Oh yeah, no portio.sys file here either. But as per the RCA Lyra CD: "Windows XP and Windows 2000 should not need drivers from the CD to operate with the RCA Lyra 2820."

SJConsultant said:
Doesn't solve the OPs problem since he is running XP.
No, but it does change the direction, as the OP seems to have this backwards...

But as per the RCA Lyra CD: "Windows XP and Windows 2000 should not need drivers from the CD to operate with the RCA Lyra 2820."

So what do we know? It's an NT file, and 2k and XP do not need drivers. A logical conclusion would be that this file is the driver that isn't needed on XP and 2k, and the OP may be barking up the wrong tree, or something didn't go right with the install.

Are you running the most recent version of the software? Did you install the compact flash drivers (I know it says xp and 2k don't need them)?
http://www.rca.com/content/viewdetail/1,,EI700635,00.html

I tend to download the newest drivers for everything out of habit. I did check the RCA website and followed their instructions, but that didn't get XP to recognize the Lyra. After a telephone conversation with one of Thomson's techs, we came to the conclusion that the Lyra itself has a hardware issue, and they're going to replace it (well, SEARS will).

Back