Mistake at Work

Astronutty

Limp Gawd
Work has been really slow, they discontinued the company cell I carried, I get every single tech call at my desk 60+ hours a week non-stop, and they are relocating this summer to cheaper facilities, so I can see the writing on the wall... so I go and type in http://192.168.1.1 and attempt to login to the linksys router with the default username and password. Try admin/admin, no go... then try >no username< /admin and get a big red screen saying I am not allowed. 30 seconds later, the boss's son comes up from downstairs and just looks at me. I say "what do you know?" He says "less than yesterday because I told someone something"... I laugh... he then leaves and goes into the office of the other boss's son, then 5 minutes later he is in the HR dept saying something to the lady there...

Lesson # 1: never assume you work with a bunch of PC idiots.
Lesson # 2: don't attempt to login to a company router.
Lesson # 3: have lot's of money in your savings account to get you by till you find another job.

Wish me luck!

I would never mess it up. If I wanted to mess it up, I would walk over to the thing and press the reset switch. If I wanted a flury of activity, I could simply remove a network cable from the server. Again, no ill will or damage was going to be done.

All I wanted to do is see I could login... thats all.

if you are cool w/ the people, then you might be fine.

a preemtive question might be a good idea. go up to someone and be like "i was trying to learn about 'blah blah', so i tried to login, but it wouldn't let me, what do you know about 'blah blah?'" if you act like you were naive and trying to learn something new, then they might cut you some slack.

DragonNOA1 said:
What is there a setting to send an email to failed login attempts?

Might just be syslog. I know the older wired Linksys routers had the ability to dump to a syslog server and that some of the 3rd party firmwares for the 54g allow this as well.

Failed login and the IP the attempt was from would be a simple flag in the syslog system.

You were just verifying the company's router was secure, right?. To prevent evil employees from hax0ring it, right? Sounds innocent enough.

Fint said:
You were just verifying the company's router was secure, right?. To prevent evil employees from hax0ring it, right? Sounds innocent enough.

:)......

in this situation it seems honesty is the best policy
you werent trying to harm anything right?

so i dont see a problem, you were trying to learn..end of story

Back