MIT dome at night

fugu

[H]F Junkie
I picked up a tripod a few months ago but haven't had much of a chance to use it. I had some time the other night though, so here's one of the shots I took.

132000863_9b9b28c449_o.jpg

That's pretty awesome. Do you go to MIT? My gf and I live right across the river - she's a grad student at BU.

Slartibartfast said:
That's pretty awesome. Do you go to MIT? My gf and I live right across the river - she's a grad student at BU.

I'm an alum, I'm still living in Cambridge though.

Very nice colors, neat how the sky is filled with purple. Exposure time on that? It also looks a little crooked to the right to me, not sure how much time you spent PP'ing it.

10 second exposure. From what I can tell in photoshop it's pretty straight.

wow..nice.

some parts almost look like they were painted
(well, to me it seems that way at least )

pretty impressive

that's a really sweet picture! the way the colors turned out is very impressive.

did you use a pretimed 10 second shutter? or did you use one of those remote triggers and just hold it down for the duration? what kind of camera? how did you avoid overexposing the building with the floodlights on it?

losers at mit rejected me... oh well.

Wow, nice. I was hoping maybe you would have caught some MIT hijinks on the dome with it...but still an awesome picture. I was going to go to MIT but decided on Northeastern. Small world.

fugu said:
10 second exposure. From what I can tell in photoshop it's pretty straight.

Yea, your right. The bottom looks normal but something with the top half of the building confused my eyes I suppose. Great shot once again.

Lime said:
I was going to go to MIT but decided on Northeastern.
Wooo! Going there now :cool:

Wow, great shot. Maybe I've been staring at it too long but it kind of looks like it's a painting. haha.

kleptophobiac said:
that's a really sweet picture! the way the colors turned out is very impressive.

did you use a pretimed 10 second shutter? or did you use one of those remote triggers and just hold it down for the duration? what kind of camera? how did you avoid overexposing the building with the floodlights on it?

losers at mit rejected me... oh well.

20D, used a preset 10 second exposure and had to take a couple shots before I got it right. I used Rawshooter to convert and dropped the highlight contrast to -100, otherwise the "of tech" part would have been blown out

Yes it is a very nice shot indeed and, I like the colors myself.

I always found it funny that you guys have all these "smart" people up there- and they can't even spell Massachusetts and Institute correctly on their buildings.. ;) :D [/sarcasm]

Really nice pic!

wow, nice picture. i go to northeastern as well...its definately a far cry from MIT lol

Nice pic. It reminds me of the time my Physics professor put a small tent on it and made it look like a female mammory (back in his college days). I believe he called it the "Great Breast of Knowledge." First link at google.

The color is from the wavelength of the type of lighting the building uses the the human eye picks it up differently than the camera picks it up. The purple is far better than some of the uglier colors different wavelengths of light generate in pictures.

Very nice. Wish I was smart enough to go to MIT

What kinda marks would one need to get in?

Back