Mixing 1333mhz and 1600mhz Ram?

EvilAngel

Gawd
Currently I have a i7 2600k in a Asus P8Z77-V Pro board with 8gb (4gbx2) Corsair 1333mhz ram and just got, as a present, 8gb (4gbx2) Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz ram and a Corsair H60 cooler.

I'm wondering if it is possible to run the 1333mhz ram and the 1600mhz ram together and if it is possible... is it worth it or should i just sell the slower ram and get more 1600mhz ram?

Also since i'm moving away from the stock cooler to the much nicer Corsair H60 i'm interested in overclocking a bit the processor but im not sure how would having mismatched speed ram affect my attempts.

Thanks in advance :D

The faster RAM will be downclocked to DDR3 1333 speeds in order for it to work. AFAIK, no platform will allow you run different speed RAM at their fully rated speed.

Not worth the effort to get more DDR3 1600 RAM.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm not clear on the last part tho, do you think i should just run all the ram i have as 1333mhz instead of trying to sell it and buy more faster ram?

I havent tried to OC for a long while, would running the ram like that limit the OC on the processor or it doesnt matter?

With Sandy Bridge, RAM speeds don't really matter that much. Besides, you're overclocking the processor by adjusting its CPU multiplier -- you won't need to play with the RAM in most cases.

Back