Mixing memory?

Kathy

Limp Gawd
Hi, I have two questions?

1. I'm pretty sure I have Kingston memory in my system, is there a way to tell what make it is without taking it out? Like a program or something? :)

2. If it is Kingston, can I put another stick of 512mb of another brand, or do I have to have the same brand? They will both be 512mb sticks, just not sure if I can do that or not. Thanks!

Kathy

Alright, i'll start off by saying yes, there is a program to tell you what brand your RAM is. Its called CPU-Z and just go to the memory tab and it will say who makes the RAM. In regards to mixing RAM, yes you can, although it may cause stability problems and you will not want to use dual channel. Also, you will have to set the latencies to the lowest common denominator.

Liam said:
Alright, i'll start off by saying yes, there is a program to tell you what brand your RAM is. Its called CPU-Z and just go to the memory tab and it will say who makes the RAM. In regards to mixing RAM, yes you can, although it may cause stability problems and you will not want to use dual channel. Also, you will have to set the latencies to the lowest common denominator.

Ok, thank you Liam!

I downloaded and ran the program you suggested and I was wrong about the type of ram I have, so I'm glad I checked.

It turns out I have (Samsung DDR-SDRAM PC 2700). So I'm a little confussed and not even sure if I'm using the right memory now. I have an Intel D845GBV motherboard and the book says to use (DDR-2100 266). Is this the right stuff I'm using and should I get the same kind? Right now I have a Pen4 226 CPU, but I'm planning on up-grading that to a 2.8 pretty soon, that will max out my MB. Does that make any diffrence?

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it! :)

Kathy

Alright,
I read your mobo's specs and I yes, if you're planning on getting more ram, try to buy samsung pc2100 or higher. If you get higher like pc3200 (for the same price) you'll have an upgrade path to newer mobos and CPU's. Now about upgrading your CPU to a 2.8, its not really worth it at all. If you want to dump some money you should get a new mobo thats supports P4C's and the 800Mhz FSB, and then maybe get a p4 2.8C. For that you'd need to buy new ram, all PC3200. Now, if you dont have any money toss around, just get another stick of ram and you're done.

PS: if you do actually wanna upgrade cpu/mobo/ram i'd steer you towards AMD.

OK, are you saying to buy a stick of 3200 to go with my 2700 that I'm using now? Or are you saying I should buy 2 sticks of 3200? Couldn't I just buy one stick of the same stuff I have now (2700)? Or am I using the wrong ram now?

If i won't see an improvement getting a faster CPU then I'll just stay where I am with that. Maybe I'll just upgrade the ram and my Video card. It's a GF3 Ti-500, would that help me?

Thanks again and sorry I have to ask so many stupid questions. :)

Kathy

Hmm... well with 9800pros at the rock bottom prices, ie 200 or less, you might wanna get a 9800 pro. About the RAM, i'm saying just buy a pc3200 stick, they're the same price as pc2700, and of course they will underclock on your cpu
it will automatically go to pc2100 speeds. Also, what games are you playing? Is your video card strugging? I'm just saying that if all you're playing is quake 3 theres no point in upgrading your cpu.

PS: Looks like we got a chick gamer :D :D :D

OK, I think I get it now, the old 2700 and the new 3200 will both run at 2100 because of my CPU. But your saying it would be a good idea to get the 3200 to use if I up-grade to another MB later on, right? :)

The only real problem I notice with my GF3 is at times some games seem a little choppy. I don't play Quake 3, it moves to fast for me and there's no story to it. My two favorite games so far are, Deus EX 1&2 and System Shock2. FarCry was just ok, but it was real pretty. :) I also liked GTA3 and 4, Max Pane, Soldier of fortune, Alien, Heavy Metal and Recoil. Thats all I can think of right now. And yes, I know I should have been a boy! :eek:

The programs I use most are MS Word and Excel, and Photo Shop. Hope that helps.

Thanks again for all the help!

Kathy

Samsung makes good ram (at least IMO) But id agree with getting the faster memory. Mixing it shouldnt be a problem.

A new video card will depend on your budget, of course. Theres lots of benchmarks online, and lots of reviews.

Ok thank you, is there a video card that you would recommend for my system if money is not a problem? I don't need the best card out there, I just want the best one for my system. :)

Kathy

Alright,
you play some pretty demanding games, like farcry, so i'd say you should drop 205 bucks on a 9800 pro , which by far the best deal out there now.
That will give you a 2-3x performance increase.
GO GET THAT 9800!

I think that sounds pretty good. I really really appreciate all the help and the time you took to answer all my questions. And I'll give you your life back now. :D Thank you so much!

Kathy

Hehe... only problem is my life is these forums; that aint gaming. Too bad i cant get a job, not many jobs for 13 year old here in Canada. Have you decided to get the 9800 pro?

OMG, your 13 and already know this much about computers? I might have to sell mine now. I think I've had a computer all your life :D :D And you still know more then I do. :confused:

Yes, I think I'll order it tomorrow or maybe wait until Monday and think about it over the weekend. But I'll do something for sure by then. Thanks again!

Kathy

Back