MMO shmup games?

Harkamus

Supreme [H]ardness
Are there any mmo shmup games besides Valkyrie Sky? I grew up playing shmups like R Type, Gradius, Hubris, etc, and thought that an MMO shmup game would be a neat idea, so I dug around google. All I found was Valkyrie Sky which isn't really that "massive."

I had this basic game concept that could translate well into MMO. The worlds would be persistent of course. Controls would be that of an FPS, using WASD (or arrow keys) to move forward/backwards and strafe. Aiming/firing would be done using the mouse. You would be able to fly around the world as a space ship (or humanoid if you like games like Castle Shikigami) and shoot various monsters/aliens/what have you. There could be world bosses that you would need a raid to take down, similar to the end of stage bosses of a typical vertical or horizontal scrolling shooter. There could be items and crafting to upgrade ship parts (armor/weaponry).

Basically, it would be a shmup that doesn't scroll since you have that 360 degree of movement afforded by FPS controls. PVP would be awesome in this kind of setting. Ship versus ship, or fleet versus fleet.

I remember Sony used to have a similar type "shmup" game, but the controls were more like Asteroids, and felt sluggish. I don't recall there being any kind of bosses or anything. It was strictly PVP. EDIT: Cosmic Rift was the name of it.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Shmup = shoot 'em up like R-Type, Gradius, Ikaruga, Raiden, Castle of Shikigami, etc.

MMO? Planetside...although thats nearly dead, I think they've merged the EU server into the US one, so its on its last legs, shame.

MMO? Planetside...although thats nearly dead, I think they've merged the EU server into the US one, so its on its last legs, shame.

Not first person shooter. Vertical or horizontal shooter.

Did you guys all grow up in the late 90s? :(

Not first person shooter. Vertical or horizontal shooter.

Did you guys all grow up in the late 90s? :(

No, late 70's .... back then we had Pong. Just Pong. Unless your parents spoiled you with an Apple IIc. Which mine didn't.

Anyway, those games are "scrollers" - AKA "side scroller" or "vertical scroller". Sorry, I don't have any to recommend to you.

Years ago I remember there used to be (and it might still be around) a top-down space shooter game that was an MMO. I'm trying to remember the name of it; I think it started with "Star".

Edit: It was called SubSpace.

Last edited:
I think this is something along the lines you are looking for:

http://www.globalagendagame.com

Not close, but thanks for the suggestion (although I'm in closed beta and have actually been invited to their dev studio for in-studio testing; I'm in the same city as their studio).

EDIT: Subspace seems the closest to what I've been looking for, but I don't like the "walls in space" thing.

Back