Mobile A64 w/Pacifica

Josh_B

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey folks,

Sorry if this has already been answered, but does anyone know when the mobile chips will get virtualization? I will replace the CPU on my emachines only when I can get this (useful) feature.

I run multiple OS' and often need to be running Linux and Windows. Running a Vmware machine sucks up too much RAM and the hardware is emulated. I need hardware-level access from all OS' for the development I do.

My shot in the dark guess would be the Manila core. 2Q '06.

Definitely not solid info, but it makes sense to me. Release the desktop/performance chips with Pacifica and Presidio (Orleans and Windsor) then the mobiles.

sleepeeg3 said:
Virtualization? :confused:

Pacifica allows multiple OS' to be run with hardware assistance, as opposed to using a program like VirtualPC or VMware. These applications emulate a stand alone PC and provide just enough of a framework to install additional OS'. The problem is, as always, software emulation is slow and cumbersome.

I doubt that the virtualization technology will be used on the 754 socket, or even a single core solution. I'm pretty sure that one OS runs on one core while the other OS runs on another. Since the 754's don't look to be getting dual core anytime in the future, It seems improbably you will be upgading your laptop to a processor with pacifica.

nope, you're right. it should be for s939/M2 and dual core chips

though smurf, mind telling us more about these chips? i know surprisingly little :(

(cf)Eclipse said:
nope, you're right. it should be for s939/M2 and dual core chips

though smurf, mind telling us more about these chips? i know surprisingly little :(

Fiddlesticks!

:(

Sure, I'll post what I've found thus far. I found release dates in various places, not sure on the reliability, but all fell within the 1H '06 timeframe.

Orleans Core (most likely continuation of regular '64' series):
90nm SoI
Dual Core w/ Presidio Security Technology and Pacifica Virtualization
DDR2 667Mhz Memory Bus, 1000Mhz HTT
1MB L2
Socket M2 (1207)
Release: Q1 '06

Windsor Core (Continue FX series):
90nm SoI
Dual Core w/ Presidio Security Technology and Pacifica Virtualization
2MB L2
Socket M2 (1207)
Release: Q1 '06

Manila Core (Sempron?):
90nm SoI
Dual Core (No info as far as Presidio or Pacifica, but it makes sense to me)
512KB L2
Socket M2 (1207)
Release: Q2 '06

awesome, thanks.

though as speculation, i'm not sure about that ddr2 spec. it'll probably either be faster, or ddr3, if amd can push jedec to get it out in the wild fast enough

what no XDR?

as much as Rambus still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, there XDR memory technology looks pretty sweet

XDR = lots of bandwidth with high latency. exactly the opposite of that a64's need ;)

I havent even seen speculation of DDR3 support for these cores, but that would be awesome.

Memory bus speeds are most probably speculation based on the increases in the recent cores, extrapolated out to these cores. Who knows, they could show up with a 1Ghz fsb :D

All I'm absolutely sure of is that I'll be on the upgrade bandwagon when these babies come out.
/me hopes for a sub $600 Windsor FX chip :p

personally, i'll be happy with a turion. i also read from inq that amd will be making dual core turions for mobile desktops. no doubt a response to yonah. (or however it's spelled)

(cf)Eclipse said:
XDR = lots of bandwidth with high latency. exactly the opposite of that a64's need ;)

I thought that at 800+MHz, Rambus nearly caught up to DDR in terms of latency? Surely at 1066MHz, it had parity with PC3200, at least from what I read?

Am I totally off base? Considering XDR is next gen. stuff, wouldn't the latency have been reduced?

yeah, latencies were getting better, almost on part with typical ddr. the problem was when dual channel ddr systems came to market. that killed the bandwidth advantage rdram had, while keeping the tight latencies. i believe this was back when pc1066 was compared to pc2700. i used to have a system with rdram (pc800) in it. it was solid, but not quite right, mostly due to the latencies. :(

however, it looks like i should keep my mouth shut when i don't know what i'm talking about, a quick search shows that xdr should have far lower latencies than rdram.. but we'll see how everything works out.

though, just because it's newer doesn't mean lower latencies. look at ddr vs ddr2 ;)

DaSmurf said:
Memory bus speeds are most probably speculation based on the increases in the recent cores, extrapolated out to these cores. Who knows, they could show up with a 1Ghz fsb :D

AMD64s have a 1GHz "fsb", it's called HT ;)

well technically the FSB is the link between the cpu and memory controller. in the a64's case, it runs at whatever speed the cpu is.
but yes, the link to the chipset is the ht link. it's actually ddr of sorts, so 2000mhz for 939 and 1600mhz for 754 :D

Back