Mobile Laptop with Best Battery Life

dashpuppy

Supreme [H]ardness
I am a network tech that uses Mac & pc windows xp& 7. I think i'm going to buy my self a referb 15" Macbook pro, because of the long battery life & ssd drive installed ( my own ) I can't really find any pc laptops i like that are good on battery life, that don't use a stupid 9cell battery that sticks out.

I do like the ThinkPad T510, however the battery life is really not that high, and i cant have a battery that sticks out i hate it and just wont do it. I wonder what the battery life is with the better battery ( non sticking out battery ) on the T510 or T410 with a ssd drive would be.

Battery life IS very important.

Any one recommend one ?

The 13.3" MacBook Pro - the newest one only a few weeks old - is probably the winner with most owners reporting > 10 hours of battery life depending on usage. Pretty amazing machine, really. It's not a Netbook, obviously, so... I don't think you're going to find much that will match or beat that 10 hour mark; I do think there's a particular Asus laptop out now that supposedly gets a solid 8-9 hours consistently but I can't recall the model number at the moment.

But, since you stated you do work with Macs running OSX and PCs with Windows, perhaps such a machine (the MBP) would give you the best of all three worlds: OSX, Windows, and massive battery life as well.

The 13.3" MacBook Pro - the newest one only a few weeks old - is probably the winner with most owners reporting > 10 hours of battery life depending on usage. Pretty amazing machine, really. It's not a Netbook, obviously, so... I don't think you're going to find much that will match or beat that 10 hour mark; I do think there's a particular Asus laptop out now that supposedly gets a solid 8-9 hours consistently but I can't recall the model number at the moment.

But, since you stated you do work with Macs running OSX and PCs with Windows, perhaps such a machine (the MBP) would give you the best of all three worlds: OSX, Windows, and massive battery life as well.

I love the 13" mb pro, but the 15" is better for me, just because i open alot of applications and stuff.

the 15" mb pro, refurbished is $1439 Canadian, then throw in a 160gig ssd and im set for more battery life & speed.!

I have a thinkpad for work with a 13inch screen. I can charge overnight, and use all day without recharging. This usually involves email, web, spreadsheets insterspersed with driving around and parking in macdonalds for their free wifi!!

I reckon I can get 9 hours of this type of use. This on a machine that is 1 year old.

You may want to look at the Hp Envy series of laptops. With the battery slice that does not really stick out it gets insane battery life.

I have a thinkpad for work with a 13inch screen. I can charge overnight, and use all day without recharging. This usually involves email, web, spreadsheets insterspersed with driving around and parking in macdonalds for their free wifi!!

I reckon I can get 9 hours of this type of use. This on a machine that is 1 year old.

Have you heard any thing good about battery life on the Lenovo T410's ? I really like those, but wondering about battery life. What one do you have ?

I do alot TONS AND TONS of RDP work, & wireless router setups and on site stuff, so battery is key, hence why i picked the MPpro 15"

hp dm3t (intel version) and the envy 13 and new envy 14 that is coming out might be decent options. Envy 13 even without the 'slice' battery gets great battery life and is thinner than a macbook.

Lenovo X60s/X61s weighs 3lbs and has 8hrs of battery life. The extended batteries stick out the back some but it's actually very useful as a point to hold on to.
I damn near drop Thinkpads without the junk in the trunk, as I always orient my arm underneath the Thinkpad gripping back around on the battery.

HP Elitebook 6930p has ~14hr battery life.
Asus has a good ULV product too.

Lots of options.

I've been happy with my T500 and 9-cell... sticks out the back but for how much I paid (~$650) I don't really have much to complain about.

Gets about 6-7 hours under normal usage and is pretty damn powerful again for how much I paid.

The downside to the Macbooks that I can see is the non-removable battery, I know friends with Macbook Pros they've used for a year or so and now get less than an hour of battery.

Have you heard any thing good about battery life on the Lenovo T410's ? I really like those, but wondering about battery life.

I have the T410s and it is impressively fast. Word, excel etc are instant. I have the SSD drive and an i5 processor. As for the battery life, I get about 4 hours with some surfing and working in MS office. I will say that it has way more power then you need for MS office so you sacrifice battery run time for performance.

For a Thinkpad also, if you really don't need optical drive get an Ultrabay battery in there instead, which boosts battery life and doesn't stick out.

With my ThinkPad X200 with a 9 cell, if I really pushed it, I could get 9 hours of battery life of light browsing and just having the machine on. Normally, I can get around 7 hours browsing the Internet (on half brightness) or around 5 (on full brightness).

I'm also selling ThinkPad T400 that I was using as my main rig. It's a nice machine but since I just built a desktop I have no use for it. If you are interested we may be able to work something out.

You may want to look at the Hp Envy series of laptops. With the battery slice that does not really stick out it gets insane battery life.
I'd hold off on the Envys. There's a 14" refresh coming in June that addresses a lot of the original issues of the 1st gen. On the battery life side it adds switchable graphics and still gets the battery slice.

Back