Mobile Users Love Unlimited Data Plans

HardOCP News

[H] News
And the award for the “no duh” survey of the day goes to these guys. Seriously, who doesn’t want unlimited data?

A survey of more than 800 smartphone users has found that unlimited data plans are their most important preference when making decisions about carriers and devices. The report by the financial research firm Sanford Bernstein found that customers are willing to pay more for the peace of mind of knowing they won't get hit with a huge overage bill.

I love my unlimited T-Mobile data....
This month so far:
5203064148_84940f85fb_b.jpg

Unfortunately most of these unlimited plans are going away, and people upgrading phones are going to get screwed when they auto "upgrade" the data plan to non unlimited.

I wish they'd allow you to convert unused minutes into data.

I have more than 4,000 rollover minutes on AT&T. Give me a choice to exchange every 250 minutes into 100 MB of data usage, or whatever.

Or, just offer a "reverse" phone plan. All calls are pay-by-the-minute, but your $39.99+ per month nets you, let's say, 10 GB of data.

I wish they'd allow you to convert unused minutes into data.

I have more than 4,000 rollover minutes on AT&T. Give me a choice to exchange every 250 minutes into 100 MB of data usage, or whatever.

Or, just offer a "reverse" phone plan. All calls are pay-by-the-minute, but your $39.99+ per month nets you, let's say, 10 GB of data.

absolutely this....

+1

Or how about leaving it unlimited, and charging the idiots who use 25+ GB per month a (well known and pretold) overuse fee.... say $39, similar to late fees for most credit cards? Or just charge $39 more for "super unlimited data" with no possible caps.... since these people are obviously using their mobile as home internet too.

Sometimes the stupidness of these billion dollar companies is mind boggling... how do half of these fat cats make money when they have no brains running their companies it seems? Just sitting around playing golf all week, I take it? Cell plans have become complete nonsense almost.... they think more about profit potential then the stuff customers will actually use and buy.

I've yet to see a company who does a two-stage plan like
<5gig = 40$
>6 gig = 80$
in between is a psychological freebie
per month charge based on what you use

I hooked my dad up with a Samsung Intercept on Virgin Mobile. Phone cost $200 at radio shack, and unlimited data/texting is $25 a month w/300 minutes, $40 w/1200 minutes, $60 w/unlimited minutes. Plus if you know what you're doing you can set up a free VOIP line and make all of your calls from that, and subsequently get unlimited everything for $25 a month. If they carried some higher end phones I'd switch over in a hearbeat.

I'll never give up my iPhone unlimited data. I use 5GB+ almost every month. I can't believe they only sell a 2GB plan as the max now.

I hooked my dad up with a Samsung Intercept on Virgin Mobile. Phone cost $200 at radio shack, and unlimited data/texting is $25 a month w/300 minutes, $40 w/1200 minutes, $60 w/unlimited minutes. Plus if you know what you're doing you can set up a free VOIP line and make all of your calls from that, and subsequently get unlimited everything for $25 a month. If they carried some higher end phones I'd switch over in a hearbeat.

Been meaning to look into virgin mobile for a long, long time now.... Why is it so inexpensive?? How has your experience with it been?

Been meaning to look into virgin mobile for a long, long time now.... Why is it so inexpensive?? How has your experience with it been?

Data speeds are decent, they use sprint as a backbone. He hasn't complained about any issues so far.

Part of the reason it's cheaper is no roaming on Verizon towers. The coverage map is a lot narrower than Verizon or Sprint with Roaming.

That said, I am on Boost, the wife on Virgin. The narrower coverage areas are a con, but for basically a half (or a quarter) of what the same service costs on postpaid...prepaid all the way.

Unfortunately most of these unlimited plans are going away, and people upgrading phones are going to get screwed when they auto "upgrade" the data plan to non unlimited.

That's why you just buy your new phone instead of upgrading through your carrier and keep your current plan.

Part of the reason it's cheaper is no roaming on Verizon towers. The coverage map is a lot narrower than Verizon or Sprint with Roaming.

That said, I am on Boost, the wife on Virgin. The narrower coverage areas are a con, but for basically a half (or a quarter) of what the same service costs on postpaid...prepaid all the way.
Yeah, it really does matter for virgin where you live. For me its not a big deal(good sprint area), but others it really hurts not being able to roam. Overall I love the plan since its so darn cheap with having unlimited data and texting.

Also to those asking about data speeds, on my intercept I usually see anywhere from 60-110KB/s which is decent, it saved me when I was moving and had no internet(wifi tether FTW), the only real complain I have is their latency is high(like 500ms high), but for browsing the web you really won't notice it.

The thing I see wrong with the data caps is the wireless carriers requiring a data plan on so many devices, but then throwing a cap on the data they're forcing you to use with said phone. There's a lot of phones I'd be interested in purchasing, but not for the data plan. It just feels like when AOL was having so many connection issues when they refused to do the network overhaul they should've done--not to say the situation applies to all carriers, but the logic is, um, well, bullshit.

I'm on Sprint and love the unlimited data. Although they do charge me an extra $10 for 4g (which I get hardly anywhere), the price can't be beat. Verizon and AT&T want too much for their data plans.

The problem with "unlimited" plans are that they are NOT unlimited. Normal ISPs and webspace providers do the same crap. They advertise "unlimted" then start banning people for using too much.

Someone has to come down on this false advertising on EVERYONE!.

I understand the need for metering... Just advertise and tier your services in a plain and easy to understand way.

Obviously customers like "unlimited", since I have not seen a carrier bundle in a good call/data monitoring tool. They seem way to eager to provide their own crappy GPS/maping/advertising software for "customer convenience" but neglect to provide the 1 app everyone should expect.... accurate call/data meter.

I'm on Sprint and love the unlimited data. Although they do charge me an extra $10 for 4g (which I get hardly anywhere), the price can't be beat. Verizon and AT&T want too much for their data plans.
I'm convinced Sprint has the best bang for the buck out of the major 4. If it weren't for T-mobile giving me a free vibrant I would have made use of their free mobile to mobile calling and unlimited data for $59/month

Not true with AT&T. I upgraded from an iPhone 3GS to a Samsung Focus WP7 and I was "grandfathered in". As long as I don't cancel that line, I can keep the unlimited data plan for $30 per month.

I changed my phone from an iPhone to a captivate and was able to take my unlimited data plan with me as well.

Back