Modding Active Shutter Glasses to 2D Left or Right Only

You could then play 2 player games split screen, without the other person peering at the other side of the screen and seeing what your up to.

You could then play 2 player games split screen, without the other person peering at the other side of the screen and seeing what your up to.

It would be very cool if you could do this so that each player gets a full screen view, too.

Now there's a thought. Actually this is a way to do split screen without spliting the screen, that has so practicality to it.

Well, everything is about timing with shutter glasses, so if a monitor does 240 hz. There can be 4 players if each pair display a different 1/4 timing.

Also it might be possible to do 2 player full screen with 3d while they see other views.

now increase that to 480hz. 4 players full screen and 3d.

Well, everything is about timing with shutter glasses, so if a monitor does 240 hz. There can be 4 players if each pair display a different 1/4 timing.

Also it might be possible to do 2 player full screen with 3d while they see other views.

now increase that to 480hz. 4 players full screen and 3d.

I'm not sure if it's as free a solution as you suggest (ie. simply by upping the refresh rate to include more features.) As your refresh rate doubles, you certainly will be able to double the amount of players (or include 3d) and maintain that minimum Hz per player (or eye), but you are also progressively halving the time slice for which each frame is getting displayed to a single person (or eye). This would introduce tons of flicker as the % of every second that's completely blacked out to each person (or eye) would get doubled each time.

Hmm, how about you can use the Xbox/PS3 while your wife watches a TV show, or the kids use the Wii?

Hmm, how about you can use the Xbox/PS3 while your wife watches a TV show, or the kids use the Wii?
You still have the issue of sound - unless you have earphones or something. If everyone's playing the same game, sounds are similar enough that it's not a problem.

Although, I think I saw a mock up of 3D glasses with built in headphones.

Yeah, multiple independent feeds is the only actually useful use-case I can think of for it. And, yeah, you'd have to have headphones for each. (Or at least good sound-isolation headphones for one, and speakers for the second.)

As for 480 Hz = 4 players in 3D? Absolutely. No flicker would be involved since all four players would get 60 Hz. It would be very dim, or you'd have to have an insanely bright monitor, though, since each eye would get only 1/8 the light. Simple math:
60 Hz per eye, *2 eyes for 3D = 120 Hz per player.
120 Hz per player * 4 players = 480 Hz.

Yes, I thought about this. And yes, it has been patented.

Two players on one screen without splitting the screen in half is the idea.

Sony patented it.

Yes, I thought about this. And yes, it has been patented.

Two players on one screen without splitting the screen in half is the idea.

Sony patented it.

Be nice for people with two kids if one kid could just play game A while the other plays game B...

That way, once and for all, you could finally get both kids to just STFU...

Be nice for people with two kids if one kid could just play game A while the other plays game B...

That way, once and for all, you could finally get both kids to just STFU...

epf4.jpg
epf3.jpg
epf1.jpg

I think this would be something very valuable to those who deal with sensitive documents or data on their screen. This could potentially prevent what they are working on from being visible to anyone not with shutter glasses synched to their screen. I would really like to see this in a real-world scenario of sorts.

Back