Modding normal Radeon x850 Pro to XT?

c00LaS1cE

Limp Gawd
I was thinking about getting this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8747236186&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Q: In your descriptive you mentioned You are bidding on a like-new ATI Radeon x850 Pro 256mb AGP video card, modded to an XT. Please tell me the benefit of this modification. I'm not quite sure what the XT modification entails. Thanks
Jan-05-06

A: The XT uses 16 pixel pipelines and a slightly higher clock speed while the Pro uses only 12 pipes. However, the XT retails for about $150 more than the Pro for this. All I did was a bios flash on the pro which is common practice, giving the performance of the XT for a cheaper cost.

I was considering buying this (I would think that it's the best AGP card in terms of bang for your buck, ~$200 shipped), or possibly getting a brand new one and just doing this myself if it's not too hard. Anyone know how to do that?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
c00LaS1cE said:
I was thinking about getting this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8747236186&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Q: In your descriptive you mentioned You are bidding on a like-new ATI Radeon x850 Pro 256mb AGP video card, modded to an XT. Please tell me the benefit of this modification. I'm not quite sure what the XT modification entails. Thanks
Jan-05-06

A: The XT uses 16 pixel pipelines and a slightly higher clock speed while the Pro uses only 12 pipes. However, the XT retails for about $150 more than the Pro for this. All I did was a bios flash on the pro which is common practice, giving the performance of the XT for a cheaper cost.

I was considering buying this (I would think that it's the best AGP card in terms of bang for your buck, ~$200 shipped), or possibly getting a brand new one and just doing this myself if it's not too hard. Anyone know how to do that?

Get the brand new one...I think they are still 229 at best buy....thats where i got mine and flashed it...but you are gonna need better cooling.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
stca16 said:
Get the brand new one...I think they are still 229 at best buy....thats where i got mine and flashed it...but you are gonna need better cooling.
Well I could buy one off an ebayer that lives near me for $185-$200 no tax of course so thats what I'd do if I bought it new...how do you flash it? And why would I need better cooling? The fan that it comes with isn't good enough?

c00LaS1cE said:
Well I could buy one off an ebayer that lives near me for $185-$200 no tax of course so thats what I'd do if I bought it new...how do you flash it? And why would I need better cooling? The fan that it comes with isn't good enough?

The fan that comes with it *might* work, but it could also make the card run too hot and cause problems. If you can actually wait until you've used the card to decide, that would be ideal, because the possibility exists that the card would be alright. The bios flash enables the other 4 pipes and increases the clock speed substantially-that's why the stock one may no longer be enough.

If you bought a new one, you could google "x850 pro flash x850xt" or something like that and find a hundred guides.

superkdogg said:
The fan that comes with it *might* work, but it could also make the card run too hot and cause problems. If you can actually wait until you've used the card to decide, that would be ideal, because the possibility exists that the card would be alright. The bios flash enables the other 4 pipes and increases the clock speed substantially-that's why the stock one may no longer be enough.

If you bought a new one, you could google "x850 pro flash x850xt" or something like that and find a hundred guides.

As long as he runs that Stock fan @ 100% and the temps don't go past 80c under load, he should be okay. It would be best to make sure the fan runs @ 100% if the temp gets past ... say 55c then just watch it closely and if it starts to heat up faster than the fan can stablize it, back off.

Majin said:
As long as he runs that Stock fan @ 100% and the temps don't go past 80c under load, he should be okay. It would be best to make sure the fan runs @ 100% if the temp gets past ... say 55c then just watch it closely and if it starts to heat up faster than the fan can stablize it, back off.

Yes but the stock fan at 100% is kinda loud dontcha think? Now on the other hand the Zalman at 100% is pretty darn quiet.

i've got the x800 gto 2 flashed to a x850 XT @ 600/600 , it runs pretty damn hot lol 50 c idle , hits 95C while playin alot of games .. an the fan speed is pinned at 100% i've also applied artic silver & lapped the heatsink

CrAzYsPyDeR said:
i've got the x800 gto 2 flashed to a x850 XT @ 600/600 , it runs pretty damn hot lol 50 c idle , hits 95C while playin alot of games .. an the fan speed is pinned at 100% i've also applied artic silver & lapped the heatsink

that is waaaaaaaay to hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

yah its pretty hot but thats what it ran stock too ... so i have no clue , maybe just a bum card cause my buddy got the same exact card as mine i did the same things to it 16 pipe line flash , lapped heatsink , artic silver ... idle his is bout 35C , max it gets is 60C an drops temp real fast

X1600 PRO 256MB DDR2 650MHz/1600Mhz 12pipes

X850 PRO 256MB GDDR3 490MHz/530Mhz 12pipes

which is better :confused: :confused: :confused:

X1600 has SM 3.0 and many new features, it runs faster than the X850 Pro also.

X1600 FTW

Back