Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan17

Limp Gawd
Just curious about how someone would become a moderator. What is the process for that?

...Dan

I know i'm not one but...

Its some one hows help full.
Not a a$$hole.
Does not have a thing with the word noob.
Knows what there talking about.
And being a old school [H] member helps.

And as you can see the only thing i have got going is i'm not a a$$hole see i don't have one of those ! logo things. :D

First thing one does is not ask to become one ;)

The process involves the super-secret Admin resort island, two quarts of whiskey, a can of whipped cream, and an eventual invitation made by hijacking the government's mind-control radio system*. Wear your tin-foil beanie or Lethal will psychically devour your brain!

*To the best of my knowledge, only the phrases "Admin" and "eventual invitation" have any grounding in reality. It's possible, though, that I once knew the truth but had the information seared away while my beanie was off during my last haircut. Details on the next Sci-Fi channel special investigation!

Moderators are invited to join the staff because of their participation, helpfulness, and ability to get along well with other members. Having a good knowledge of the area that you moderate is a great help. The requirements are having been on the forums for over a year and being over 18....most of us are way over. The supermods are selected from the mod pool and the Admin are taken from the Supermod pool. The average length of time on the boards for all management personnel was about four years last time I checked.

i walked in the wrong door somewhere in Texas and the next thing i knew i was chained to a desk modding the FS/T forum

(someone call for help.....)

I wasn't asking to be one...you misinterpreted it. I was just curious about how a moderator is chosen.

...Dan

Dan17 said:
I wasn't asking to be one...you misinterpreted it. I was just curious about how a moderator is chosen.

...Dan
.....Oh, thanks.......(is how I would've put it.) ;)

MajorDomo said:
The requirements are having been on the forums for over a year and being over 18....most of us are way over.
heh :p

Follow the Rules
Put the community first
Provide as much knowledge as you can to other members on topics you know a lot about
Defer to wiser members on topics you don't know as much about

If you correct other members, not only explain _what_ is incorrect, but _why_ it's incorrect. Use sound reasoning and data to dispell misconceptions and myths. Lots and lots of links ;)

When debating other members, presume neither that your are totally right nor that the other member(s) are totally wrong.

Use humor and creative illustrations to reinforce what you are trying to say.

Seriously, we're moderators. It's about, well moderation :p the above guides me in my writings here.

DougLite said:
Follow the Rules
Put the community first
Provide as much knowledge as you can to other members on topics you know a lot about
Defer to wiser members on topics you don't know as much about

If you correct other members, not only explain _what_ is incorrect, but _why_ it's incorrect. Use sound reasoning and data to dispell misconceptions and myths. Lots and lots of links ;)

When debating other members, presume neither that your are totally right nor that the other member(s) are totally wrong.

Use humor and creative illustrations to reinforce what you are trying to say.

Seriously, we're moderators. It's about, well moderation :p the above guides me in my writings here.

Nicely said! ...why can't all members be like that? :)

We wouldn't need moderators at all and only a couple of admins if everybody did that ;) :p

Cold Dark Shadow said:
i walked in the wrong door somewhere in Texas and the next thing i knew i was chained to a desk modding the FS/T forum

(someone call for help.....)
lolol

If you correct other members, not only explain _what_ is incorrect, but _why_ it's incorrect

Well I did just that and got 3 messages deleted.

MOD=kids who were picked on in school getting the last laugh.

Sparky said:

How you say it is just as important as what you are saying
keep that in mind

Sparky said:

i dont think making comments like that will help you any lol :p

Sparky said:
Maybe mods who abuse power and bully other users would fit your characterization, but as a whole, that is unfair to the many people who care about the community and want to see more productive discussion. The fact remains that the internet is full of trolls, misinformation, fanboys, idiots, and overly passionate people. There has to be someone to keep the distractions to a minimum, so that productive discussion can flow.

But moderators don't only exist to be forum policemen - look in the many subforums on here, and you'll see it is the mods who are organizing the FAQs and other community based efforts, and helping to keep relevant information organized and in a sane format.

If it is your goal to be a moderator to antagonize other users, then you have misguided intentions, and your chances of ever seeing that mod spot are slim.

In the short time I've been on this forum I've thought the mods and admins are doing an incredible job.

They move things where they belong, keeping the forums in a straight line.
They warn people gently when they screw up, often using humor, instead of nailing them hard right off the bat (shows maturity).
It's very obvious they're very talented in what they do, technically and personally.
They answer questions quickly, more than willing to help people out.
I could go on but I gotta go move the sprinkler.

My hat is off to all of them, God knows it can't be an easy job, and my thanks go to them for taking the time / trouble!

Think what a disaster the [H] would be without them!

P.S. 1 > No I ain't brown nosing LOL I wouldn't have the time to be an admin, even on the .0001% chance I was ever asked.
P.S. 2 > Want to see a place where the mods / admins aren't as good as here? Try vvti.net. More flaming than helping.

I beleive the mods here are doing a nice job as well....from what I've seen, they are "sane". Most put things in a clever way by getting the point accross without offending offenders and the offended in most cases. Things just get done around here. And @sparky, that was a pretty "not smart" comment you made....let's just put it that way. ;)

i think occasionally it is a good idea to let mods have a public display of their civilness and lightheartedness. it makes their moderating actions seem a little more balanced and understandable. i never see moderators real personalities outside of genmay.

this thread seemed to attract their attention

Occasionally the moderators like to post in this forum especially in a thread that is saying something nice about them, rather than the usual fare and I think that is a good thing.

....and altec, I don't remember this thread ever being locked :)

When you have 16k posts, you can change your title to anything you want. Change it to "moderator" and everybody will think you really are :D.

iddqd said:
When you have 16k posts, you can change your title to anything you want. Change it to "moderator" and everybody will think you really are :D.
Cant wait :p

Mods: You are all great. I dont think the [H] could have picked better mods for their respective positions. Each one is an expert at his/her field, and is willing to help even the noobish noob. A+ for the mods! :p

iddqd said:
Well, when you hit that point it automatically changes to something like "choose your own, you deserve it" and then an admin has to actually change the title. So "moderator" would not be an allowed option, nor would something we might deem unacceptable. ;)

I think 'mini-mod' or 'wannabe mod' would replace your first choice :p

iddqd said:

One thing I've noticed throughout all posts made by mods is their sense of humor and their exceptional knowledge about whatever topic they're involved in. If they're wrong, they admit their mistake.

Some mods though play a fatherly role such as Kyle. I think he should change "HardOCP Editor-in-Chief" to "Who's your daddy ?". His role is VERY important. Whether you like it or not I find his presense and his prompt actions necessary for all of us to predict the consequences of certain posts.

It's ridiculous how some people offend or type up things before thinking. Without those mods this forum would turn to a zoo. Especially the Video Card section, AMD processors and Intel Processors.

If you have a question directed at a Mod, send it to him via pm unless you believe that starting a thread will benefit the community. If you don't get a reply then it obviously did not deserve an answer. If you got banned then you need to question your actions and maybe look for another forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back