modern warfare 2... if i play will i get banned?

vertigomhs

[H]ard|Gawd
i managed to get a copy of modern warfare 2 early... its legit, and no im not on a modded xbox... do you guys think id get banned for playing it early, despite it being legit?

EDIT: i want to play online, not single player.

you wont get banned but your achievements will be reset on the 10th i know lots of people who go it early

I don't know for certain but I think you'll be fine if you disconnect your 360 while playing

you wont get banned but your achievements will be reset on the 10th i know lots of people who go it early
i thought that was for the leaderboards and not achievements? either way i could care less about both... i just want to get a head start in getting used to the game online.

@Tyler, sorry forgot to mention ive been doing that for single player, but i want to play online, should have been more specific :|

i managed to get a copy of modern warfare 2 early... its legit, and no im not on a modded xbox... do you guys think id get banned for playing it early, despite it being legit?

EDIT: i want to play online, not single player.
How do you think reviewers do it?

ive beat the last gh and rock band before they came out. i dont think youll get in any trouble.

How do you think reviewers do it?

Reviewers have accounts that are known to MS and the publisher, that allow them to you know "review", and not get banned. Sometimes the "review" copy given to them by the publisher is also special and watermarked to prevent early leaks. Also, some real big reviewers like IGN, Gamespot and the like, may also have PartnerNet accounts which gives early exclusive access to unreleased games and such.

Last edited:
well ive been playing it for a few hours, and well i havent been banned yet, hopefully itll stay that way :p

this game is pretty awesome i must say... definitely pick it up ;)

How many people are you really going to be able to play online with anyway?

when I was playing tonight there was 10,000 people online in total... every room I joined was full.

I heard a rumor that someone was playing it in SP, offline with his xbox unplugged from the internet, and supposedly he got banned when he logged back into xbox live.

Again though, this is a rumor so there is a very good chance that he could have been using a modded XBOX and such.

I heard a rumor that someone was playing it in SP, offline with his xbox unplugged from the internet, and supposedly he got banned when he logged back into xbox live.

Again though, this is a rumor so there is a very good chance that he could have been using a modded XBOX and such.

Pure rumor. People find early copies of games all the time (due to stores selling early on accident or ebay sales), it'd be really stupid to ban anyone who tried to play a legit copy.

Play away dude, you'll be fine.

nice to see its fun, but can you just check to see if party chat is restricted in all playlists, or just set ones?

thats the only the thing that has me disappointed about MW2 and it'd be great to hear if its not all :)

nice to see its fun, but can you just check to see if party chat is restricted in all playlists, or just set ones?

thats the only the thing that has me disappointed about MW2 and it'd be great to hear if its not all :)
its restricted on most playlists, the only ones that dont require you to be in game chat (from what i remember) are mercenary team deathmatch, free for all, cage match, and i dont remember if there is more.

its restricted on most playlists, the only ones that dont require you to be in game chat (from what i remember) are mercenary team deathmatch, free for all, cage match, and i dont remember if there is more.

that really sucks :(

oh well, the campaign trailers got me excited, so ill probably just play campaign till l4d2 and assassins creed 2 come out. a bad move on iw's part in my opinion, really killed the online for me

that really sucks :(

oh well, the campaign trailers got me excited, so ill probably just play campaign till l4d2 and assassins creed 2 come out. a bad move on iw's part in my opinion, really killed the online for me
i know, i was pretty bummed out when it asked me to leave the party... and all i do is play search and destroy :(

i know, i was pretty bummed out when it asked me to leave the party... and all i do is play search and destroy :(

same here, thats like the only playlist i played in mw, and i was almost always in party chat since a lot of my friends didnt play mw a lot or didnt like snd.

sucks though, i wish they thought it out more and made separate playlists for ranked and unranked so that you can still talk to friends, instead of just jumping on microsofts new feature and killing party chat for everyone. since for the most part, many people play games like cod for fun, and they usually play it with friends who they want to talk to without hearing other people yelling in the background

same here, thats like the only playlist i played in mw, and i was almost always in party chat since a lot of my friends didnt play mw a lot or didnt like snd.

sucks though, i wish they thought it out more and made separate playlists for ranked and unranked so that you can still talk to friends, instead of just jumping on microsofts new feature and killing party chat for everyone. since for the most part, many people play games like cod for fun, and they usually play it with friends who they want to talk to without hearing other people yelling in the background
totally agree with everything you said.... im in the same situation with friends being on cod but not in the same game type.

i have a feeling infinity ward will update the game to remove that...

I don't know for certain but I think you'll be fine if you disconnect your 360 while playing

Not true.

MW2 uses and checks against a new Wave 4 security layer that gets updated to the console when you first launch the game. It caches launch settings regardless if you're online, or regardless of any work-a-round you try.

Wave 4 is the reason why so many people have been banned lately.

Mute people. MS is already providing your with the option you're looking for. If you cannot understand why MS is allowing DEVELOPERS to enable this new feature... you are part of the problem. Whats the point in a competitive MP shooter where the team isn't even communicating?

Whether or not you want to agree with it, Party Chat did a world of hurt to competitive shooters when it released. The feature being enabled isn't MS's fault, if you're looking for someone to blame.. blame IW for implementing the feature. Meanwhile team voice chat has been restored, and players simply need only mute players they do not want to hear.

Mute people. MS is already providing your with the option you're looking for. If you cannot understand why MS is allowing DEVELOPERS to enable this new feature... you are part of the problem. Whats the point in a competitive MP shooter where the team isn't even communicating?

Whether or not you want to agree with it, Party Chat did a world of hurt to competitive shooters when it released. The feature being enabled isn't MS's fault, if you're looking for someone to blame.. blame IW for implementing the feature. Meanwhile team voice chat has been restored, and players simply need only mute players they do not want to hear.

im not blaming microsoft for the feature, but as i said earlier, im blaming iw since its seems to be done in haste.

i do know about competitive gaming, i actually used to play competitively myself and the main problem people had with party chat was in private games, not public ones, so if they implemented an option to disable party in their i'd understand. but on the hand, if you were just looking to play a more competitive game by yourself, or just with a friend or two, then they should have separated the playlists into ranked and unranked since not all people go into a game to play competitively but instead just for fun.

and as for muting players, im aware of the feature, but the problem is still there since muting people doesnt allow me to talk to my friends in other games, so im still screwed because iw doesnt understand that not everyone's concept of fun is playing to win every time. maybe i just wanted to sit back, relax, and play some call of duty online since its one my favorite games. what do i then?

just to let you guys know... I never got banned and my stats weren't reset (level 50 now :p)

guess all the things going around were just a scare tactic or something

Back