Modular worth an extra $50?

Well looking right at em here are the differences.

S12D only comes with two 6+2 pin Pcie then two regular 6 pin. While the M12D has all 4 6+2 pin. M12D has 3 more Sata connectors, 2 more peripheral, another floopy connector.

As for the modular question, well its very simple. Are you a wire management freak like myself? If so modular might be worth the extra $$. If you don't mind it or work with it to make it clean then the get the non-modular and save some $$.

Internally both PSUs are identical. So the only determining factor is whether or not the superior cable management of the M12D is worth the extra cost to you. And you're the only one who can make that determination.

Ahh, it may be worth the extra cash then just for the connectors, since I may end up with 3 or 4 GPUs for F@H. I totally neglected to look at that before hand lol

do yourself a favor and go modular!

i thought i'd save myself a few bucks by going non-modular, and i regret it. cable management took me a good long while, and i'm still not happy with it.

I just bought myself a Corsair TX750W. I wish I bought a modular.

Well, I'll just say that if I were to buy another PSU, it'll have to be modular.

The main reason I don't like modular is because I can lose any cables I don't plug in.

It also bugs me that "modular" is a stupid name for it. ;)

it really just depends on what $50 is worth to you. In my opinion its a waste.. I have used both and it doesnt save THAT much space in my opinion

modular psu's actually loose current due to more connectors. non mudulars have more "solid" current. its one of the sacrifices you make for neat cables

modular psu's actually loose current due to more connectors. non mudulars have more "solid" current. its one of the sacrifices you make for neat cables

Did you read this off of the PC Power and Cooling myths page? The one they took down after spreading a bunch of other lies such as 120mm fans being detrimental to airflow and that 80mm fans were the way to go. Every top PSU manufacturer has modular power supplies except PCP&C. Corsair, Seasonic, Enermax, Antec...they all have them. They've all garnered tons of awards and praises. Heck, even server power supplies are modular. Any notion that modular connectors lose current is a bunch of BS. In theory sure, in REAL WORLD performance there is absolutely no difference.

Oh and here's a picture of PCP&C's new psu with a 140mm fan.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ces-2010-ssd,2531-2.html

Jon Gerow of Jonnyguru.com tested this myth once. The conclusion was that any loss because of modular connectors was negligible at worst. So there's no worries. I only use modular supplies, and if there are any drawbacks I've sure as hell never noticed them. :D

If money is tight, go with the cheaper version. If not, get the modular. Once you buy a modular PSU you will never go back! Trust me!

I always go modular unless the cost is a crazy difference.
I personally would probably pay $50 for modular, assuming you are going to be using that PSU for at least a couple years.

modular power supplies are awesome, especially in those moments when you need to hook up an extra drive temporarily...

that and i'm not sure how i was ever able to do cable management without it.

How many connections do you need to make? There's no use in buying a modular power supply if you have to use all or most of the cables anyway. Other than that and price go modular.

Did you read this off of the PC Power and Cooling myths page?

. . .

Any notion that modular connectors lose current is a bunch of BS.
Everybody knows that the current is higher before the series resistance than after it. ;)

go modular if you can afford it, if not go with a good standard unit. The benefits are there but is not a necessity.

Back