Monarch Computer [H]ot|Deals OEM Opteron Results

jcll2002 said:
you cant rma it if it doesnt overclock though right?

What, you getting ideas or something? hehe. No, I don't think you can. I actually meant that the chips were RMA-quality in that they didn't run well even at stock. I saw plenty of posts with temperature issues as well as stability, iirc.

Ordered mine from Monarch last thursday. (165)
It came today
Its a CCB1E 0608 MPMW
Ill put it thru its paces tonight. And post later...

some new codes are up on pcper forums so they should be up here soon too, just ordered a 3rd opty, hopefully well get 2 0608's :D
btw heres the code for the 165
Coupon - 41106-120339

toddm27 said:
some new codes are up on pcper forums so they should be up here soon too, just ordered a 3rd opty, hopefully well get 2 0608's :D
btw heres the code for the 165
Coupon - 41106-120339

I see how it isssss...pcper first ay? Well. :mad: I'm kind of scared to order another opty lol... I ordered 1, had a relative order 1... maybe I'll just wait til the next batch comes around... shit, I don't know man!!

well I saw that thread a few weeks ago and well worst case you sell the chip on ebay and break even, besides, I've got 2 guys that want opty 165's locally so I can probably make a little $ off these. ;)that is if they don't hit 3ghz :p

toddm27 said:
well I saw that thread a few weeks ago and well worst case you sell the chip on ebay and break even, besides, I've got 2 guys that want opty 165's locally so I can probably make a little $ off these. ;)that is if they don't hit 3ghz :p

Exactly. That's what I've sought to do from the start. I don't have a paypal account, though. If I did, I would buy another.. crapola.

EDIT: signing up for Paypal as I type. ;)

yeah I think thats gonna happen as they never wanted these to hit the overclocking market, but why shoot yourself in the foot and kill sales :confused:

Yeah I figure you get at least $300 even if it won't OC well, just ordered another :) paypal used this time.. we'll see if it ships out before the one I ordered last Thursday :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting those codes!

Well fellas, I just bit on another one.. I'm hoping it will go through faster this time, considering I just ordered from them on Thursday. I'm a regular customer. :rolleyes:

jcll2002 said:
how does that go against overclocking? just call up monarch and order it...

because now it is likely more difficult/expensive for Monarch to get them, you see, you buy from Monarch, but Monarch has to get them from an authorized distributor because Monarch is an authorized reseller

AMD is trying to force the overclocking community into buying the 4200, 4400, 4800 X2's in Retail boxes vs. buying up all the Opteron 165's, 170's, etc....because after all, those were marketed as a "One-Way Server" cpu, not a desktop replacement, so they likely have lots of X2's sitting on the shelf, yet Opty 1XX cpu's are flying off the shelves.....

it's all about $$ and supply/demand

notice what the OEM Opty 165 now says at Monarch

Due to High Demand there could be a Delay in Shipping

nobody_here said:
because now it is likely more difficult/expensive for Monarch to get them, you see, you buy from Monarch, but Monarch has to get them from an authorized distributor because Monarch is an authorized reseller

AMD is trying to force the overclocking community into buying the 4200, 4400, 4800 X2's in Retail boxes vs. buying up all the Opteron 165's, 170's, etc....because after all, those were marketed as a "One-Way Server" cpu, not a desktop replacement, so they likely have lots of X2's sitting on the shelf, yet Opty 1XX cpu's are flying off the shelves.....

it's all about $$ and supply/demand

notice what the OEM Opty 165 now says at Monarch
its said there could be a 4-5 day wait due to high demand, so its not much of a change

jcll2002 said:

well, i have explained it as well as i think i can, no offense meant :)

it isnt going to affect things immediately, but soon Opteron 1XX's will likely be much harder to get, or at least you will pay more for them because AMD is making the pricing and availability more restrictive

nobody_here said:
well, i have explained it as well as i think i can, no offense meant :)

it isnt going to affect things immediately, but soon Opteron 1XX's will likely be much harder to get, or at least you will pay more for them because AMD is making the pricing and availability more restrictive
yes I do get it, however it isn't going to affect it anytime soon as what I was saying, this will affect the suppliers that are trying to get the processors(monarch for instance) as amd is going to try to restrict sales just to server use, hence shooting themselves in the foot.

not to mention that same saying has been on their site for at least 2 weeks.

Well the question is, how do we know that they will be harder to get? The prices may be higher but it's really an unknown. The chips could o/c better as we move on. Who wouldn't pay a little extra for a better overclocker? Mhz/buck, now may be the best time. But again, even theinquirer's article is speculation. If someone posts the actual new prices (eventually everything leaks) then we will know.

young-blood said:
Well the question is, how do we know that they will be harder to get? The prices may be higher but it's really an unknown. The chips could o/c better as we move on. Who wouldn't pay a little extra for a better overclocker? Mhz/buck, now may be the best time. But again, even theinquirer's article is speculation. If someone posts the actual new prices (eventually everything leaks) then we will know.

click on the link in the Inq article.....it doesn't give pricing and tells authorized vendors to contact their authorized distributor for pricing and availability

it very well could be that AMD has instructed it's authorized distributor's to only sell Opteron 1XX's if the reseller was buying.....oh i dont know....a certain number of Tyan server class motherboards......or maybe Monarch would have to buy a certain number of X2's in order to order Opteron 1XX's, in which case either Monarch buys a bunch of server related mobo's that may or may not sell in order to get the Opty's which they know will sell, but in order to make up for the mobo's that will likely sit a while, they jack up the price of the Opty's...or, because their shelves cannot bear any more X2's, they decide to not order Opty's, and "starve" the food chain until people are buying X2's again

also, it could just be that the Opty 1XX pricing is much higher, to control demand, like with anything on the free market, what do you do when you only have a little of something and everybody wants it, but you have alot of something similiar that the consumers could use in it's place? jack up the price of the item in high demand, which lowers demand for it, and hopefully make people want to migrate over to the alternative, which would be an X2, which they have tons of and need to move, but it is still money in AMD's pocket, so i really dont see where the "shooting themselves in the foot" comes from, it's a win win situation, no matter which ones they sell, they get $$, and they get to raise prices even further

nobody_here said:
click on the link in the Inq article.....it doesn't give pricing and tells authorized vendors to contact their authorized distributor for pricing and availability

it very well could be that AMD has instructed it's authorized distributor's to only sell Opteron 1XX's if the reseller was buying.....oh i dont know....a certain number of Tyan server class motherboards......or maybe Monarch would have to buy a certain number of X2's in order to order Opteron 1XX's, in which case either Monarch buys a bunch of server related mobo's that may or may not sell in order to get the Opty's which they know will sell, but in order to make up for the mobo's that will likely sit a while, they jack up the price of the Opty's...or, because their shelves cannot bear any more X2's, they decide to not order Opty's, and "starve" the food chain until people are buying X2's again

also, it could just be that the Opty 1XX pricing is much higher, to control demand, like with anything on the free market, what do you do when you only have a little of something and everybody wants it, but you have alot of something similiar that the consumers could use in it's place? jack up the price of the item in high demand, which lowers demand for it, and hopefully make people want to migrate over to the alternative, which would be an X2, which they have tons of and need to move, but it is still money in AMD's pocket, so i really dont see where the "shooting themselves in the foot" comes from, it's a win win situation, no matter which ones they sell, they get $$, and they get to raise prices even further

I understood your theory the first time, man. I wouldn't comment on such an article without reading all that was given. It makes sense and it just may happen, but let me reiterate: nothing has happened yet with prices (that we can actually see) so it's a crapshoot.

When I got my 165 in nobody had ever heard of my stepping so I didn't know what to expect. I haven't pushed it too hard yet, but so far my CCBWE 0604 runs 2.4 on stock voltage and idles at 23c-25c. My ambient temp right now is 25c! :eek: I'll push it farther once i find out what the odd 'chirping' noise is coming from my case. Almost sounds like a cable is barely touching a fan somewhere but I haven't found one that is. Maybe an odd hd noise, who knows...

computater said:
When I got my 165 in nobody had ever heard of my stepping so I didn't know what to expect. I haven't pushed it too hard yet, but so far my CCBWE 0604 runs 2.4 on stock voltage and idles at 23c-25c. My ambient temp right now is 25c! :eek: I'll push it farther once i find out what the odd 'chirping' noise is coming from my case. Almost sounds like a cable is barely touching a fan somewhere but I haven't found one that is. Maybe an odd hd noise, who knows...
keep us posted and let us know what you get out of it

computater said:
thats weird...how is your cpu idling cooler than your ambient?

jcll2002 said:

potentially a problem with the cpu temp sensor.. or reporting there of.

jcll2002 said:
possibly using a dfi sli-dr expert as the temp sensor means absolutly nothing as I've had 2 of those boards and all reported 20c idle temps

toddm27 said:
possibly using a dfi sli-dr expert as the temp sensor means absolutly nothing as I've had 2 of those boards and all reported 20c idle temps
yeah, im worried abouot that when i get my rig. How do you tell when youre hot?

If you see smoke, you're too hot. ;) seriously, if you're too hot you'll get system crashes and lockups... the temp sensor can be used as a guide-line.. not always very accurate.. you can try and put a case temp sensor on the side of your sink at the base, or right on the side of your IHS maybe ..(as long as it does not affect the sink contact with the chip).. if your're feeling really motivated, I reckon. :)

jcll2002 said:
yeah, im worried abouot that when i get my rig. How do you tell when youre hot?
I found out that my temp sensor on my second board was off when I pulled the ihs off my 165 and saw temps in the low 20's, and in reference on how to tell when hot, its normally off by about 7-10c as thats what my ultra d shows, idle of 28-29c

I'd venture to say it's probably off a little too, although my zalman 9500 is barely even warm to the touch. I do have a dfi ultra-d.

Welp, my 0608MPMW is up for sale on teh eBay, for those of you on here who were asking me about it that want an 0608MPMW for sure. :) As per forum rules, I will not post the link, but if you're interested, PM me and I'll give you the link. I assure you, it's not hard to find though if you go looking. :p

Also, while playing with my unlidded 165 tonight, I accidently applied 1.77v, which is like 1.82v set (1.35v * 136%!!!!!). I diddn't even realise until I got into Windows and checked CPU-Z to make sure I had the right settings (damn good thing I did). I point to direct die cooling and water to keeping the chip from exploding. Once I saw those voltages, I hard rebooted, found the error, and rebooted as fast as my fingers could type. My heart was racing, waiting for it to blow up. Doh! :mad:

tsuehpsyde said:
Also, while playing with my unlidded 165 tonight, I accidently applied 1.77v, which is like 1.82v set (1.35v * 136%!!!!!). I diddn't even realise until I got into Windows and checked CPU-Z to make sure I had the right settings (damn good thing I did). I point to direct die cooling and water to keeping the chip from exploding. Once I saw those voltages, I hard rebooted, found the error, and rebooted as fast as my fingers could type. My heart was racing, waiting for it to blow up. Doh! :mad:

that wouldn't have been good, what did that 2nd chip get to?

toddm27 said:
that wouldn't have been good, what did that 2nd chip get to?

I never tested it, as I'm selling it brand new. I was debating cherry picking between the two I have, but the truth is that the one with the IHS still attached will sell for more, reguardless of their speeds. So, testing it will only make me cry if it's indeed faster than my current one. :p 2.8GHz on stock vcore 24/7 dual prime stable for over 24 hours is A-OK by me. I wanted at least that, and I got it, so I can't complain. So there it sits, in the OEM container, waiting to find a good home. :)

tsuehpsyde said:
I never tested it, as I'm selling it brand new. I was debating cherry picking between the two I have, but the truth is that the one with the IHS still attached will sell for more, reguardless of their speeds. So, testing it will only make me cry if it's indeed faster than my current one. :p 2.8GHz on stock vcore 24/7 dual prime stable for over 24 hours is A-OK by me. I wanted at least that, and I got it, so I can't complain. So there it sits, in the OEM container, waiting to find a good home. :)

I don't know if thats all that true as mine hit 440 in less than a day with the pic of the bare chip, but thats your choice, It would kill me not to at least test that bad boy. good luck selling it for double your money at least :p :D

toddm27 said:
I don't know if thats all that true as mine hit 440 in less than a day with the pic of the bare chip, but thats your choice, It would kill me not to at least test that bad boy. good luck selling it for double your money at least :p :D

Well, being as they're so close in manufacturing time, I'm fairly sure they'll clock very similar. Who knows, maybe I'm just getting used to toys, but it really doesn't bother me all that much to be honest. The thought of un-mounting my 165 I have now (carefully, since I don't want to chip the core), having to re-build my loop and re-bleed out the air (I have a dual rad that I'd like to add, but I won't put it in until I'm already removing my chip), wait for that, then try to mount the chip to see if it gets a few extra MHz, just doesn't seem worth it, considering I'd be taking the IHS off again, and I'm almost sure they'd do damn near the same, and I don't have to cut the new one open again to find out. And while others may test a chip then claim it's "new", I'm actually selling mine as new.

It's just all around easier to go this way. ;) Perhaps if I had a completely different stepping and I had a bit of a shitty clocker, I'd be itching to pop it in, but as it stands, not really.

Back