Monitor for Movies?

Alai

2[H]4U
What are the best monitors for watching movies? Or are TV's just irreplaceable in terms of picture quality and sharp detail? I noticed my monitor wouldn't give me smooth colors. It shows me some graininess even during BluRay movies.

Well, I guess an HD TV would be the way to go (good ones), preferably those with low input lag, like the LG LH30 series, especially if you're going to be streaming media to the HD TV itself and with an external audio source, which input lag on the screen would cause lip sync issues, which is a dealbreaker for me.

As far as monitors, if you're not gonna be gaming and you want high resolution 1920x1200 or something, avoid TN like the plague. 2408WFP wouldn't be a bad choice, nor would the U2410. The 2209WA is a good 22" alternative on 1680x1050 spec. If you want 16:9 aspect ratio, there's not a lot of high-quality LCD monitors that sport that aspect ratio as the overwhelming majority of 16:9 monitors are TN, which I would consider not ideal for movie watching.

Awesome. Good information. If I am using a receiver to connect between the HTPC and the TV/External Speakers, then I don't need to worry about input lag too much, right?

No, you'd probably still have to worry about input lag as the lip sync issues arise from the VIDEO being laggy, not the audio stream, which is being played back at real-time from the HTPC to the receiver to your speakers. If the video source is delayed because of the HD TV/monitor, then you will have lip sync issues.

Frustrating, I know, and it's not really helped much by LCD manufacturers not saying a fucking word about it.

Apparently, the word is that "standard" Samsung HD TVs are generally laggy; they had to make "Gaming" HD TVs to compensate. Not sure about Sonys, and the LG LH30 like I said is reported to have excellent input lag, which I have one of myself but I haven't really had the chance to test out video streaming, but using it as a monitor I have tried and I didn't have any input lag issues that I could discern.

Back