Monitor for PS3 Gaming/Movies

fauxmatic

n00b
Hey guys, I’m new to the forum, but I’m glad I found it as I need some expert advice on a monitor purchase. There’s a few threads covering the monitors I’m interested in purchasing, and I’ve read through most of the posts, but my needs are a little different that’s why I’ve decided to create my own thread.

I have a custom USB device that allows me to use my mouse and keyboard to play games on my PlayStation 3, but it needs to be wired to my PC at the same time. Therefore I’ve decided to buy a monitor that can double as a PC display as well as a PS3 display. At the moment I have a monitor and a 720p HDTV next to each other to get the job done.

I should also note, I’m building a new PC and I’m purchasing a Radeon HD 6850 video card, however PC gaming is not as important to me as the quality of PS3 games and movies on the monitor. When I'm not gaming, I watch everything from standard def, to sub HD, to full 1080p video on my PS3. I'm assuming I could watch stuff from my PC once I build it with the newer graphics card, but I still prefer running my PS3 so the quality of video matters as well.

Estimated Time of Purchase: Late November - Early December

These are my choices so far:

Dell UltraSharp U2311H

Price Range: $240 - $319
Size: 23" - 21.57" x 14.02" x 7.25"

LCD eIPS
DisplayPort, DVI-D, VGA
Power Consumption 33W
10,000:1 | 1920x1080 | 16:9
No Support for 24FPS (Heard this in a YouTube review)

ASUS VE278Q

Price Range: $359 - $364
Size: 27" - 25.32" x 17.54" 8.66"

LED-Backlit
DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI
Power Saving < 45 W
10,000,000:1 | 1920x1080 | 16:9
Picture-in-Picture

LG 32LE5400 HDTV

Price Range: $599 - $830
Size: 32"

*This is a 120Hz TV, and I thought I'd list as it's on my list of options, and I know it could function as a monitor, but it's a very expensive option. Thoughts?

--------------------

Both of these have the pro's and con's, for example, the Dell has a better panel but it's smaller and has no HDMI input, which means I have to connect my PS3 via DVi and I'm not sure if this will reduce quality. The ASUS is bigger but more expensive, and I believe its a TN panel, but it has HDMI.

So which route should I go guys?
Are there better monitors that I've missed?

THANK YOU

Digital to digital shouldn't have a loss in video quality (assuming no problems). Just make sure you have the things necessary to output sound, since it will likely not carry the audio signal and/or the monitor won't have speakers/sound out.

What size is the TV you are currently using? For most people going from a larger to smaller display is quite jarring.

You can also consider the Sony 32ex400.

Go with the dell if you have to.... out of your picks the only thing I could suggest is to not get the Asus. I am not sure why they get good reviews but I bought one a few weeks ago and the colors and viewing angles and absolutely Horrible!

Limitedaccess: Yeh that's what I heard, HDMI-to-DVI should retain quality if there's no HDMI port. Oh and I'm coming from a 19" 720p Polaroid ...Polaroid should be all I need to say lol, that tv is TERRIBLE but I bought it years ago when I didn't know anything about smart shopping. I just checked out the Sony, if I do buy a TV I want an LED 120hz.

Falconman515: Yeh all their monitors seem to be getting great reviews that's why considered the VE278Q ..and truth be told I'm more inclined to the Dell cause I've seen IPS displays but at the same time it was 27"

Lol still so conflicted, appreciate the input so far though fellas

Back