Monitor goes to sleep improperly.

legrand

Weaksauce
I have a 24" CRT based on the sony fw900 tube, and it has a bit of a problem. It likes to go to sleep (or standby, or whatever it's called) at any random time. Surfing the web. gaming, whenever, it just decides that it's going into standby. Sometimes as this is about to occur, the monitor acts like it's loosing power, it kinda fades to black and then back on a couple of times, then it goes to sleep. Normally it just goes straight to standby though, with no fading in and out whatsoever.

What's worse is that it usually takes 5 minutes of turning it on and off for it to wake back up. Unplugging the monitor does not seem to make it wake it up any faster, nor does leaving it turned off or unplugged for longer periods of time. The power led just sits there blinking from orange to green at me.

I have used 3 or 4 different video cards with this and have gone through a fresh install of Windows, so I'm thinking it's definitely the monitor.

I don't suppose there's any "fix" for this other than taking it to some sort of repair shop? I got it used at a very good price, and could put a little money into it, but I don't want to throw good money after bad, if this is a sign that it's going to die completely soon.

Repair estimates?

Thanks for any input.

OK... Apparently I'm a retard. Well, let me preface this by saying I have a LiLan case that mounts everything upside down. This is important, as you will come to see.

I finally got tired of the monitor not waking up so I decided to hook up another. It was only at this point, as I detached the cable from the video card to hook it up to an old monitor, that I realized I had the cable in the secondary port, not the primary port. I can't believe that it even worked in the first place!

Look for the obvious - lesson learned (again).

Back