Monitor humming

jamestime88

[H]ard|Gawd
I am using a westinghouse 24" LCD hooked up to a 8500gt video card through a DVI connection. After borrowing the DVI cord to hook up a dvd player to my TV, when I returned it to my computer my monitor started making a noticeable humming noise. The noise varies depending on what is on the screen. I get very little noise from movies and/or games but black text on a white screen has a severe hum. There is no visually distinguishable damage on the DVI cord. I'd like to get this matter resolved as 3-4 hours of straight humming will give me a headache.

Have you tried changing the brightness? I had a Westinghouse that would hum when the brightness was too low. It was really rather lame.

Not uncommon in LCD's, I've found. I returned like 3 different brands (acer, samsung, asus) because of humming, but finally just settled on one. Humming caused by brightness level was one thing (mine stops at at 85/100), but I've also noticed what you describe; some pattern of color will also cause a buzzing noise (no idea what that pattern is).

Not much you can do I think other than buying a higher end monitor that have better quality control. The HP L2465w with an IPS panel I had at work made no noise for example.

Do I understand it right, that before connection the monitor to the DVD player, the hum has not been a problem?

Do I understand it right, that before connection the monitor to the DVD player, the hum has not been a problem?

you are somewhat correct. I never had the problem before, but the monitor was never connected to a dvd player. I borrowed the DVI cord to connect a DVD player to a TV.

If it were me, my first step would be to try using a different DVI cable. Borrowed from someone, maybe? A lot of "humming" in audio/video equipment is usually shielding related, and this one sounds like it could be related to that too: The humming changes based on the image on the screen (i.e., the signal being passed through the cable), and it appeared only after a couple of disconnect/connect actions (something that was barely holding together on the cable might have been forced apart).

The cable is the easiest and cheapest thing to try swapping out. If that turns out not to make a difference, then the next steps are to try testing with another video card borrowed from someone and a monitor borrowed from someone...

Back