Monitor Noob

dbu8554

Supreme [H]ardness
Alright so normally I do not care about my monitor I have a Hpw2207 it was free and its pretty decent. That was until I was at school today and all the shitty i3 Lenovo's were running like shit for some reason. So I popped over to the Mac section and oh my lord, I had never used a 27 inch monitor before. Not had I used one that looked so damn good.

So I am now looking for something equivalent to what they use on the 27 inch iMac, not to be lazy but you guys know what is up and I have no idea what matters when it comes to monitor. Thanks!

Okay so I see these monitors for sale in the Hot deals section and they go fast, what is the difference between the models that start with S or U or whatever prefix just wondering thanks.

The HP is glossy and the iMac uses glass (Plasma Deposition Coating/PDC); no Dell is going to provide an equally vibrant and clear picture aside from their 2,500$ 5K monitor which also uses Plasma Deposition Coating (read about the differences between PDC and glossy coatings). The Dells use a nearly grain free matte coating which is often referred to as a semi-glossy coating, but it is not as clear and lacks the vibrancy of glossy coatings and PDC.

The Monoprice Glass Pro (it has a high minimum brightens sof 160cdm/2) and Crossover 27QW series use Plasma Deposition Coating just like the iMacs. The Monoprice Zero G also uses PDC but it is a first class piece of trash since it has abysmal colour presets, lacks proper brightness controls and has an extremely high minimum brightness.

So what would you recommend then dude? Reflections are a total concern of mine btw.

So what would you recommend then dude? Reflections are a total concern of mine btw.

I recommend reading my post about Plasma Deposition Coating since it should help you decide if you want a glossy monitor or one with PDC. Then you will have to figure out if you want a single-input monitor or one with multiple inputs and a frame of input lag. The threads I linked with the Crossover information also includes my recommendations for each kind of monitor.

Better question, can any of those monitors listed on your page be had for under 300ish used or reburb is totally cool.

It's possible to buy new+Pixel Perfect units from Amazon for around 300$.

PDC Crossover 27QW. Midgard=green-sum from eBay and Ecomade Arena=dream-seller. Both are popular sellers of Korean monitors.

Glossy Zalaman ZM27Q1

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Usually we can offer better monitor advice for you if you describe your usage scenario:

do you read or write a lot, like coding/programming?
do you game ? what games do you play most?
do you use it to watch movies?

And the ambient light? can you control light conditions so reflections would be a non- issue? personally i hate glossy monitors, among other things because i have to work with them on low light conditions, which among other things messes with my day time cycle and dilate my pupils, worsening the eye sight.

Good questions Geok1ing, for now relfection is a problem due to the room my computer is in but I am building a new office and I think sunlight type reflection will be less of an issue. But will still have overhead lights in the room. That being said I guess something non glossy would be ideal I hate glare man.

As far as what I use it for, I guess some movie watching and stuff, and some gaming, most games are Indie games, FTL, Binding of Isaac type games rarely AAA titles.

I do a ton of reading and homework and will have to start coding and doing work with circuits this coming fall and just a ton of math homework on there. I like being able to adjust the brightness all over the place as sometimes I like it bright but at night I usually turn the brightness down a ton. Also being able to control the blue light would be nice for night time use again.

So as far as usage, I would say light gaming since I do not have much time. or I do emulators.

I do a ton of reading, and math and soon to be coding work on it.

Casual movie watching but I do watch a ton of youtube videos related to school and shit.

300 is what I MAX wanna spend, but less is better, looking for something reliable that is important to me. Also USB ports would be nice I always need more of those.

For your budget something like this maybe? It has the blue-light adjustment, anti-flicker and IPS anti-glare screen. No USB ports but a USB hub would fix that:

http://www.pcworld.com/product/1429673/lg-27mp35vq-b-widescreen-lcd-monitor.html

Selling for around $269 on Amazon and $259 on Newegg. As with any monitor seeing is believing so check out the return policy. If there is a box store around you go put your eyes on the monitors and see what looks best for the money.

Last edited:
I beg to differ, but since he does not play First person shooting games a lot and will read and code most of the time, a high contrast VA monitor is more suited.

BenQ GW Series GW2760HS. Like the LG above, this one is a 27" 1080p monitor. At $205 it is cheap enough that you can consider going dual or triple screen for increased productivity later.Review here.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back