Monitor real estate 4:3 vs 16:10. May prove controversial.

sylva

Limp Gawd
This is about LCD panels, not CRTs.

Just the other day I was visiting some offices and noticed some really big monitors. They turned out to be traditional 4:3 20"ers, but I was really surprised at how big they looked even though their bezel was rather narrow. Then I went home and had to admit that my 22"er didn't look as large as before. A week before I was invited to dinner by some friends who have a 52" SD 4:3 projection TV. Next day I went to Circuit City to see their 52" monitors and they didn't look that big anymore either. Of course, the picture was HD and some of the Samsungs and Panasonics looked quite astounding. Yet, the question of their and the monitors' dimensions kept bugging me and wandering whether I was beset with optical illusion. Therefore, here are the results of my musings. Do not be put off by the mathematics, it's simple algebra and some trigonometric function manipulation.

For the very beginning, when we trace the monitor's diagonal the result is the obvious two right triangles. This is why we calculate the area of a triangle as that of a rectangle devided by two. OK, so let's take on one of the triangles, either one since the two triangles are equal. Remember, the ratio between the two adjacent sides to the right angle is 4 (long side) : 3 (short side). The opposite side to the right angle is the hypotenuse. Now it turns out that the relationship with this hypotenuse in a 4:3 triangle is 5. Therefore the relationship that determines all 3 sides is 4:3:5. Since we're talking about 22" diagonals in such a triangle, finding the length of the adjacent legs is easy. We need some kind of a token unit length which multiplied by the numbers in the ratio relationship will give us the lengths.

We know the hypotenuse, so the length of this token unit will be 22"/5 which is 4.4".
Then the other sides will be 3x4.4"=13.2" and 4x4.4"=17.6".

These numbers are for the sides of the rectangle as well. Now we're interested in how much real estate (surface area) the traditional 4:3 monitor has. This is given by the area of the rectangle A = 13.2" x 17.6" = 232. 32" sq.
All well and good so far. However, wide monitors are not of 4:3:5 but 16:10 ratio and the hypotenuse is not in the same relationship with the other sides as in the former setting. Therefore, we can resort to two methods. The first would be the simplest, physically measuring the monitor IF we have one. I did mine and came up with 11.7" x 18.5" (both approximations). This means that area is ~ 216.45" sq. The difference with the traditional 4:3 is therefore 232.32"sq - 216.45" sq = 15.87"sq. How is this possible, though in reality when the difference is calculated rigorously it turns out to be smaller (14.32"sq), nevertheless even so it's quite a difference..

A second method, more painful, but much more useful and precise is the usage of trigonometric functions. This, if we don't have a monitor. Don't be put off, just follow the steps. The trig functions will also come in very handy when we want to find out by how much bigger should the diagonal be in order to get the same real estate for a wide 22" monitor as from the traditional 4:3 monitor.

Here we go. Again, the hypotenuse is 22" long. Again, remember, we do not use the hypotenuse for the trig purposes, except for illustrating the ratio relationships in the triangle and later in the algebra part of the operations. In order to find the length of the adjacent legs to the right angle, we'll need to work with one of the non-right angles. For this we'll use the very ratio that's given to us, 16:10 between the two adjacent legs (sides) of the right angle. I am going to turn the ratio upside down, which won't change anything, it will just save some steps (the cotangent). Let's label our triangle: If the leg with back slashes (c) is not in the right position it's because I don't know how to place these characters on the page such that they form the AB leg correctly. Please get a piece of paper and draw the triangle for yourself, uniting A with B the right way. The low case letters (a, b, c, e, e, f) stand as monikers for the sides.

A
| \
| \
| \
| \
| \
| b \ c
| \
| \
| \
| \
|__________\ B
C a

Take angle A. We call the Tangent of A the opposite side divided by the adjacent side which in our case would be a/b. In our case the tangent is given: 10:16 or 10/16 which is 0.625. The angle will be the inverse tangent of A which is 32 degrees. Now, the sine of A will be given by the ratio between the opposite side and the hypotenuse, that is a/c. But we know the angle, so from a scientific calculator sin32 = 0.53. Therefore the short side (a) will be gotten from the following equation:

a/c = 0.53 so a = 0.53c = 0.53 x 22" = 11.66" and the long side will be gotten from the cosine (adjacent side divided by the hypotenuse) function. From the calculator we get the cosine of A which is 0.85.

and for b (long side): b/c = 0.85 so b = 0.85c = 0.85 x 22" = 18.7"

These numbers pretty much correspond with the physical measurements above. And the monitor's display area is 11.66" x 18.7" = 218" sq.
The real difference with the traditional monitor therefore is: 232.32" sq - 218" sq = 14.32" sq, still a marked one.

Now, a more arcane question arises, namely, by how much should the diagonal be longer in order to get the same real estate (display area) on the wide monitor as the traditional 4:3 monitor? Well, this can be solved by setting up a system of equations. The data that we have is sufficient for calculations. We just have to visualize that the result will be a bigger triangle, longer legs and hypotenuse. We have the area of the 4:3 monitor (the area we're looking for to emulate for the wide monitor), which is given by d x e (the adjacent sides, short and long, to the right angle in the bigger triangle). So the first equation will be

|\
| \
| \
| \
| \
| \
| \
| e \ f
| \
| \
| \
| \
| ___________\
d

(1) d (short) x e (long) = 232.32" sq.

and the second is

(2) e/d = 1.6 (the ratio of the monitor) so d = e / 1.6 and by substituting this into equation (1) we get (e / 1.6) x e = 232. 32" sq.

Next, e sq / 1.6 = 232.32" then e sq = 1.6 x 232. 32" sq and e = sq root of 371.2 which yields 19.28", the length of the long side of the bigger triangle. And, since the ratio between the two sides is 1.6, that is e/d = 1.6, the short side will be e / 1.6 = d = 19.28/1.6 = 12.04".

Now, by the Pythagorean theorem, the hypotenuse (diagonal of our new, bigger triangle) will be f = square root of (d sq + e sq) = sq root of 515.33 sq in = 22.7"

Therefore, for a 22" diagonal wide screen to get the same useful display area as a traditional 4:3 monitor, the diagonal will have to be only .7" longer, that is 22.7", quite close to the 23" monitors which are priced double or triple. Well these 23" inchers are PVAs or IPSs.

All mistakes and bad assumptions are those of the author, so please feel free to comment and/or correct.:)

Actually i think it's quite interesting. Shows that a resolution in between 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 would be nice on a 23" monitor maybe. Actually the following resolutions would prolly be better even for 22" monitors since i think the dot pitch for 22" units is too big for 1680x1050 already....

Something along the line of 1800x1125 or 1760x1100 to achieve the same real estate as a "true" 4:3 monitor in widescreen without going 1920x1200

What the fuck?

Anyways 23" displays are 1920x1200 so they have a much smaller pixel pitch and a lot more resolution. Your post is too long and good god I'm too lazy to read it. You pay for that extra inch, but in reality you're paying for a LOT more pixels.

I still don't get what you're getting at OP.

Nerds rejoice, you have found your KING!!!!

p.s You have too much time on your hands. :D

The thing people have to remember is that despite the size differences between 4:3's and 16:9/16:10, the widescreen monitors are the best for WS content, ie, you actually lose part of the image when watching 16:9 content on a 4:3 display.

I can't think of a single reason to value 4:3 monitors in the age of 16:9.

...I tend to use tvcalculator.com to check the height and area of different monitor sizes... ^^;

but what I used to forget is that the size of the menu and task bares also influences the experience in windowed programs (especially when displaying word documents etc.) further decreasing the usable height of a low resolution 22''er compared to a 20'' 4:3 display, and possibly making a 22.7'' 1760x1100 display still inferior to a 20'' 4:3 display given such content.
I personally never really had an issue with the physical size of displays (there's a nice little optical trick: sitting closer ^^;), but I'm rather picky when it comes to vertical resolutions and therefore usable pixels..
We also shouldn't forget that the 4:3/5:4 and 16:10/16/9 displays simply aren't meant to be used with the same content turning it more into a question of usable display area given the specific use.

...Isize of the menu and task bares also influences the experience in windowed programs (especially when displaying word documents etc.) further decreasing the usable height of a low resolution 22''er compared to a 20'' 4:3 display, and possibly making a 22.7'' 1760x1100 display still inferior to a 20'' 4:3 display given such content.
I .

Benny get yourself a 1280x1024 19incher and you'll be fine, but if you take multi-media seriously, you need a 16:9/16:10 display.

I think they still make 1600x1200 21's as well.

sorry, I didn't know this forum was supposed to be used only by ppl using the PC exclusively for leisure purposes...

Thanks for the suggestion,
but l already got a 24''+ 20'' for work and 30'' at home so I guess I won't need the extra 19''... but I'm thinking of adding a 37'' TV or a 2nd 30''er to my home setup ^^;

I only tried to explain why the 20'' sylva saw at the office seemed bigger than his 22' monitor (the relation of pixel pitch to display size could also have crerated an illusion of looking at a bigger screen)...

But you really got the point, a 19' and 22''' monitor will seem almost similar when used for (single page) word processing..

sorry, I didn't know this forum was supposed to be used only by ppl using the PC exclusively for leisure purposes...

But you really got the point, a 19' and 22''' monitor will seem almost similar when used for word processing..

Not at all, come one, come all.

I'm a multi-media person, so I speak from that POV.....I'll leave you and others to discuss the pro's and con's as it applies to business apps.

The point I'm trying to make is that even though a 22 isn't that TALL/HIGH, when it comes to DVD/HDTV/video, it's aspect ratio is the best by miles, as you not only gain the advantage of the OAR, but you also gain footage that was excluded/distorted when viewing 16:9 content on a 4:3.

That said, I think a 22 is still small, especially with anything shot in 2.35, so that's why I'm waiting on a price drop on a DELL 27, or a comprehensive review of the new Viewsonic 28.

I can't think of a single reason to value 4:3 monitors in the age of 16:9.
I think for normal "PC" use such as web browsing, word processing and so on, a 4:3 or 5:4 AR can sometimes be more useful than widescreen - I always do this in a window on my Dell 2707 as it would be hopeless maximised, and even then the other things on screen can be a bit distracting when I'm working on a long involved document. It's nice to be able to have two pages at once on screen when needed though.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that 16:10 AR screens are very close to the "golden rectangle" (ratio approx 1:1.618), so most people probably instinctively find them more "satisfying" to look at.

I think for normal "PC" use such as web browsing, word processing and so on, a 4:3 or 5:4 AR can sometimes be more useful than widescreen - .

I'm not disputing that, but what I meant was now that we have all this HQ video content in 1.78-2.35, I'd rather tolerate any minor discomfort a 16:10 has with browsing and the like, than compromise on DVD/HDTV, games.

I have HDTV on my PC, so I'm certainly looking forward to getting a 27in LCD for multi-media.

I'm also curious why more people don't have HDTV capture cards:confused:

I'm not disputing that, but what I meant was now that we have all this HQ video content in 1.78-2.35, I'd rather tolerate any minor discomfort a 16:10 has with browsing and the like, than compromise on DVD/HDTV, games.
Well, if you really don't want to compromise on HDTV capability, you'd be better off getting... err... an HDTV rather than a relatively small PC monitor.

Having said that, HDTV playback on the Dell 2707WFP is fabulous and if you need a "dual-purpose" display I'm sure you'll be delighted with it. :)

Well, if you really don't want to compromise on HDTV capability, you'd be better off getting... err... an HDTV rather than a relatively small PC monitor.

:)

No doubt, however, the 27 will be right in my face, so it'll have the advantage of enabling me to resolve every detail of 1080's resolution+ it'll make a great PC monitor.

I'm waiting for the M81, ie, 50 000:1 contrast ratio Samsung LCD's.

If these LCD's don't "shock the world"....I'm just going to buy a Plasma.

It's nice to be able to have two pages at once on screen when needed though.
Agreed and the reason why I'll stick to 16:10 from now on (...or at least 'till the next Widescreen-for-Monitors specs are released). But in order not to give up too much vertical real estate, I think 1920x1200's the way to go. 24" seems to be the sweet spot for that rez, but I would also consider a 26-27" too - but that's about it. 30" is waaay too biiig for a workstation setup, imo.

For those set on widescreen and Word processing, a humble 20-22" 1680x1050 might be just fine as long as it has pivot capability. Then you can process in pivot-mode by day and multi-media in std mode by night :D

As for the OP's calculations, I did some similar comparisons before buying my first LCD, but with pixels [e.g. (1600*1200)-(1680*1050)] which may not be as thought-provoking but is a bit more to the point (imo)...

Letterboxing costs you part of the image.

Actually, Letterbox maintains the original AR so as not to lose any part of the image (such as pan & scanning [cropping] a 16:9 image to completely fill a 4:3 area).

I guess you meant part of the panel's real estate - which I can totaly relate to because for the longest time I was watching my DVD movies on a 19" CRT...
... from about 2.5M away... :eek:

Now the real irony is watching a letterboxed movie being transmitted via standard 4:3 TV on a 16:10 monitor where the TV content is already "pre" letter-boxed and of course the widescreen panel is letterboxed to preserve the AR of the 4:3 TV image... :eek:

And of course being an LCD panel, this four-sided letterbox-ing will kindly remind you of any backlighting bleed and/or murky blacks... :p

Guys,

I think many of you are missing the point. The ONLY thing I wanted to show was that for the same diagonal you get less real estate on a 16:9 than on a 4:3:5 monitor. I was NOT talking about resolution, pixel pitch or any other monitor properties. If I wanted that I could've, since I have more than enough electronics, computers and physics under my belt to do just that.

To those who are talking about nerds, well, ALL, and I mean ALL technological and scientific progress can be attributed to some nerd out there who thought about things no one bothered or could think of.

In this forum we do NOT use expletives. So please desist if you want to stay on as a contributor.

I totally understood you from the beginning (well, i understood your intention). However, you can't ONLY talk about real estate without ever mentioning amount of pixels or pixel pitch. Those 3 things simply go hand in hand on a monitor. A huge 60" monitor has mucho real estate but if the resolution is 640x480, then no matter what, the picture will look like shizz when used as a computer monitor.

Guys,

I think many of you are missing the point. The ONLY thing I wanted to show was that for the same diagonal you get less real estate on a 16:9 than on a 4:3:5 monitor. I was NOT talking about resolution, pixel pitch or any other monitor properties. If I wanted that I could've, since I have more than enough electronics, computers and physics under my belt to do just that.

To those who are talking about nerds, well, ALL, and I mean ALL technological and scientific progress can be attributed to some nerd out there who thought about things no one bothered or could think of.

In this forum we do NOT use expletives. So please desist if you want to stay on as a contributor.

Then what's the point?:rolleyes:

...I have more than enough electronics, computers and physics under my belt ... In this forum we do NOT use expletives..

No one asked you for your CV and imo, is a waste of space just as any expletive you may come across in "this" forum.

...So please desist if you want to stay on as a contributor.
Who died and made you king? I certainly had no problem with your initial post, but after such a tasteless retort...

Are you seriously suggesting your "point" has never occurred to anyone else?
aznx said:
Then what's the point?:rolleyes:
"How to state the blindingly obvious as verbosely as possible, causing your unfortunate readers to lose the will to live." :D

...are actually 5:4?
Well you Sir, clearly do not have the necessary amount of "electronics, computers and physics" under your belt (unlike our esteemed Dr. Sylva who has ample credidentials) otherwise you would have correctly noted the panel's ratio as a relationship of its corresponding triangle's Hypotenuse, 5:4:6.4! *

Well I sure damn dun Q.E.D.ed your sorry a$$, huh... *

(*j/k ROFL LMAO etc.)

remember, if people who own 16:10 or 16:9 monitors get an inkling that you are trying to say there is ANYTHING remotely better about a 4:3 monitor compared to their hallowed investment, you will be dragged to the gallows! widescreen monitors are popular and awesome! so they have to be superior in every way!

remember, if people who own 16:10 or 16:9 monitors get an inkling that you are trying to say there is ANYTHING remotely better about a 4:3 monitor compared to their hallowed investment, you will be dragged to the gallows! widescreen monitors are popular and awesome! so they have to be superior in every way!

...not really.

I like my widescreen monitor because of the aspect ratio for movies (and some games where allowed) and the cool factor. However I'm not going to have a hissy because my old 20" lcd has more real estate than my 20" ws monitor.

Am I mistaken, or are human eyes more rectangular than almost square? 4:3 is simply unnatural to the anatomy.

Aside from that, letterboxed movies might retain the actual widescreen image but do so by shrinking it to fit on a 4:3 display, which better be well over 1080p resolution if it wants to compete in detail to the original widescreen image.

I don't know if that is exactly right.... It looks right but I'm sitting in front of a 4:3 20" Samsung and a 16:10 22" HP and the HP is definatly bigger in physical screen real estate than the Samsung.

No one is arguing that 1600x1200 has more pixels, but this is an issue only because 20" LCDs are not 1920x1200 (yet).

I thought everyone knew that a square with a 22" diagonal had more area than a rectangle with a 22" diagonal. That was a really really really long post just to say that.

I guess you meant part of the panel's real estate - which I can totaly relate to because for the longest time I was watching my DVD movies on a 19" CRT...
... from about 2.5M away... :eek:

:p

My views can be summed up like this....4:3 sux....LOL.

As long as one feeds their 8bit panel{or late model TN screen} HQ sources, they'll be greeted with excellent IQ.

Back