Monoprice 27in Zero-G 2560x1440 IPS $350+$15 shipping Massdrop

PnkPwrRngr

Gawd
I don't think I've seen anyone post a link from massdrop here before, but it's a pretty cool group-buy-esque organizing site.

I think you need to create an account to view the link, though.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/monoprice-monitor

*Let me know if I'm not allowed to post links from sites like this.

*edit: Looks like Massdrop is standing behind a 0 dead pixel policy. Monoprice has a 5 dead pixel policy.

so.... wtf does "Glass laminate glossy panel with antiglare coating" mean?

BB

If only this thing could overclock! Dang. Good deal.

So they don't overclock at all? Dang, I'm torn between getting IPS and something that can do 120hz....

I both game and some occasional lightroom. This would not be a good gaming monitor?

I game on a 60hz Korean IPS panel and it works fine for what it is. Is it as smooth as a 120hz panel? No. Does it have substantially better image quality than a TN panel? Yes.

If you play a lot of twitchy competitive FPS games you'd probably be better off with a TN 120hz panel, but if you play a wider variety of games and use the computer for some photo editing you'll do better with IPS.

I game on a 60hz Korean IPS panel and it works fine for what it is. Is it as smooth as a 120hz panel? No. Does it have substantially better image quality than a TN panel? Yes.

If you play a lot of twitchy competitive FPS games you'd probably be better off with a TN 120hz panel, but if you play a wider variety of games and use the computer for some photo editing you'll do better with IPS.

Aren't some of the ebay IPS panels overclockable though? To 90 something hertz? WOuld that be a better way to go? I do play BF4 and other twitch based games. Currently using a Westinghouse 37" which is probably slow and locked to 60hz... Looking for some improvement. Not sure 1 290x will be enough for the higher resolution, but I could pickup a second one if needed.

Aren't some of the ebay IPS panels overclockable though? To 90 something hertz? WOuld that be a better way to go? I do play BF4 and other twitch based games. Currently using a Westinghouse 37" which is probably slow and locked to 60hz... Looking for some improvement. Not sure 1 290x will be enough for the higher resolution, but I could pickup a second one if needed.

unless you're playing at the height of the professional scene and you need every advantage you can get, you absolutely do not need a 120/144 Hz TN. get a qnix qx2710. pretty much guaranteed to hit 96 Hz, might hit 120 if you get a good one, and has less than 3 ms input lag. currently the best all around panel. the best setup would be one of those as well as a lightboost capable 23/24" when you feel like sacrificing color and size for zero motion blur.

60 Hz is completely unplayable to me since i got my vg236h three or four years ago. i will never, ever go back. much more important than resolution imo.

at 1440p you don't need traditional aa, and if you notice it you could use an smaa injector. very little performance cost for similar image quality as msaa. your 290X would be fine for 96 or even 120 if you play on high instead of ultra (i personally don't see a difference.)

Last edited:
you will get owned if you play bf4 with this monitor. there is too much input delay

A+ panel and one of the better budget bezels hmmmmm

IF you have one of the Korean samsung PLS panel monitor. They can overclock. I have a Qnix QX2710 atm at 110hz. I could do 120 but I get a red scanline every now and then. If you buy the LG IPS korean versions, you will have to buy a special pcb in order to overclock.

you will get owned if you play bf4 with this monitor. there is too much input delay

A+ panel and one of the better budget bezels hmmmmm

I always get owned at BF4, is it because I game on a 37" Westinghouse TV?

Wow I wish I had a definite answer, some say yes others say no. I have never liked TN panels as everything but gaming they are terrible. I game a lot when I have time to do so, but I probably spend more time on my computer NOT gaming. Lots of reading coding and working with lightroom.

How the hell does anyone get a decent monitor these days, sounds like I need to get 2 of each types and switch them out depending on what I am doing, but really? who does that!

I always get owned at BF4, is it because I game on a 37" Westinghouse TV?

Wow I wish I had a definite answer, some say yes others say no. I have never liked TN panels as everything but gaming they are terrible. I game a lot when I have time to do so, but I probably spend more time on my computer NOT gaming. Lots of reading coding and working with lightroom.

How the hell does anyone get a decent monitor these days, sounds like I need to get 2 of each types and switch them out depending on what I am doing, but really? who does that!

chances are, if you're using a panel made in the last five years, you'd get owned regardless of which one it is you're playing on

chances are, if you're using a panel made in the last five years, you'd get owned regardless of which one it is you're playing on

I think it's from 2007, but I don't remember exactly. So no, not using one made in the last 5 years. So there are no 27" 1440 monitors that are guaranteed to do 120hz?

Last edited:
Chances are, if you're blaming input lag on your loss, you probably lack enough skills to win in the first place.

Really good players will dominate no matter what setup, be it at a buddy's house or their own. Same goes for professional athletes or people in the workplace. Adapt or go extinct.

Chances are, if you're blaming input lag on your loss, you probably lack enough skills to win in the first place.

Really good players will dominate no matter what setup, be it at a buddy's house or their own. Same goes for professional athletes or people in the workplace. Adapt or go extinct.

Not exactly but I do wonder what I am missing out on.

It means you've got a piece of glass on top of a glossy finish panel which reflects and glares like a mother fucker.

No, the new AH-IPS use glass typically referred to as Plasma Deposition Coating which is not very reflective while older glass models like the Apple Cinema/Thunder Bolt Display, Dell S Series, Samsung S27B970D and models use edge-to-edge glass which is extremely reflective and makes the blacks look gray.

Last edited:
Wow that thing sounds very impressive, I wonder if there will be more.

The website shows it for $500, but its sold out. I wouldn't be too impressed since it says "Capable of Refresh Rates up to 120Hz". That "up to" is quite the qualifier. If you read the comments there are people that hit 120Hz, but its no guarantee.

The website shows it for $500, but its sold out. I wouldn't be too impressed since it says "Capable of Refresh Rates up to 120Hz". That "up to" is quite the qualifier. If you read the comments there are people that hit 120Hz, but its no guarantee.

Any better than the Qnix then? Those really are not capable of over 96Hz for the most part right? Too bad this mass drop one isn't overlockable according to the comments above. How much of a disadvantage or whats the loss of smoothness going from 96htz to 120 to 144? Is it as noticeable as going from 60 to 96?

Any better than the Qnix then? Those really are not capable of over 96Hz for the most part right? Too bad this mass drop one isn't overlockable according to the comments above. How much of a disadvantage or whats the loss of smoothness going from 96htz to 120 to 144? Is it as noticeable as going from 60 to 96?

My understanding is that all of the IPS monitors are limited to ~66hz except the original Catleaps, and a speciality OC Catleap right now.

As for PLS, Monex is also limited to ??? (low) hz.

And Qnix and the other one, DP2710, can usually do 120hz, but many require custom settings in CRU for over 96hz.

This Tempest supposedly has better electronics, but with absolutely no proof of that, I would say its a load of crap. If they really beefed it up, they'd be showing what they did.

Back