More on 3870x2

O-Some!

I am glad ATi finally has something to compete with the G80's, it is about freaking time. :D

I wonder what the suggested retail price will be of this. It looks nice.

I've been hearing between $350 and $450, but that's complete speculation. I would think somewhere around $450-ish, considering it's 2 3870's slammed together. Still though, for the performance, that'll be an awesome price point.

rofl I have to say that by itself it does look huge but you are right, its the same size as the GTX :)
ps this is the first time I've seen it.

This might be a good card, it will be interesting to see how it compares to NVidias upcoming February offering in performance vs price and overall performance.

I'm getting the illusion of boobs from the twin coolers...

No ram sinks? I don't see heat sinks on the MOSFET's either so there's probably more to add to the card in the final version.

Humm, it still looks huge, BUT only when its alone, once put beside that 8800GTX it really puts it into perspective, it isn't that big at all, but damn the fact that ANY gfx card is twice the size of the PCIe slot is scary :p

More info from the article:

作为AMD的新旗舰,此次大家看到的HD3870 X2并非是公版卡,而是由通路大厂双敏所推出的无极系列高端显卡
The PCB IS NOT STOCK. It's from a company called 双敏(UNIKA)'s "Limitless" series.

So I guess we still don't know what the size of the common version will be.

I'm getting the illusion of boobs from the twin coolers...

No ram sinks? I don't see heat sinks on the MOSFET's either so there's probably more to add to the card in the final version.

The coolers you se on it are not the retail coolers, when some of htese sites get "leaked" samples sometimes they come without the stock coolers. Its been pictured a few times with a cooler thats much like the 2900xt cooler only longer so id guess this is the cooler it will come with:

http://pic.enorth.com.cn/0/03/15/62/3156209_086481.jpg

More info from the article:

The PCB IS NOT STOCK. It's from a company called 双敏(UNIKA)'s "Limitless" series.

So I guess we still don't know what the size of the common version will be.

Well put it this way, every (installed) pic of it so far has been of it overlapping the end of the motherboard by about a half inch which is the same at the gtx. Thers no way ati would release it longer than whats been pictured, they clearly have the capability to make it gtx size so there would be no point to them releasing a longer card.

AMD promised us a single slot dualGPU 3870 based card in January when they launched their 3000 series hardware, and they've at least come through on showing it off at CES. Anand brings us some images of the card itself. While we don't have our hands on it yet, you can be sure we will test AMD's high end part as soon as possible.

:eek:

Wow,now thats putting it to Nvidia...

Yeah, I bet nVidia is crying all the way to the bank considering ATI is still trying to compete with a 14-month old card.

Because the high end sales account for a majority of the market....right? :eek:

The 3870x2 picture Anandtech showing from CES looks exactly like a normal 3870! It is dual slot and now I want to see some benchies!

Um, we are talking about comparing two high end cards here.... right? :rolleyes:

Well the direct competition to this would be the gx2. Not the ultra or the gtx as that other guy was trying to imply.

And please have a :rolleyes: on the house.

Dual gpu cards = faliure, the gx2, rerember that gigabyte/asus cant rerember which on it was i think it was either a 6600 or a 6800 with 2 gpu's on one card?

Dual gpu cards = faliure, the gx2, rerember that gigabyte/asus cant rerember which on it was i think it was either a 6600 or a 6800 with 2 gpu's on one card?

It depends on how effective the cards are, from what i recall the 7950gx2 was effective enough when games supported an sli profile, if they didn't then it dropped to single gpu performance. Been a while since the gx2 so sli and crossfire compatability will most likely have been increased in the interim. Both card could do pretty well.

It depends on how effective the cards are, from what i recall the 7950gx2 was effective enough when games supported an sli profile, if they didn't then it dropped to single gpu performance. Been a while since the gx2 so sli and crossfire compatability will most likely have been increased in the interim. Both card could do pretty well.

Yeah i guess so, but IMO its tech thats not really needed. They take up too much space and are too hot, and not worth the money unless you are gaming with a high res, so why not go real sli?

If you dont have an sli board yeah fair enough.

Picture%202386%20copy.jpg

Dual 6600, rerember me?

How long did you see me on the market for? and how many people do you know that had one?

Well the direct competition to this would be the gx2. Not the ultra or the gtx as that other guy was trying to imply.

And please have a :rolleyes: on the house.

Hey, you started it, I was just making a point.

All I'm saying is I don't see how you would call a 3870x2 a competitor to the GX2 when two 3870's in crossfire can't even reliability outperform a single 8800 Ultra. GX2 is just a superiority maintenance release by nvidia, nothing more. The real choice will be between the 3870x2 and the single-GPU 8800GTX refresh (9800 GTX or whatever they decide to call it)

Yeah i guess so, but IMO its tech thats not really needed. They take up too much space and are too hot, and not worth the money unless you are gaming with a high res, so why not go real sli?

If you dont have an sli board yeah fair enough.

On the space front the ati x2 card is no larger than a gtx, its dual slot same as the gtx and the same length as the gtx. Heatwise the 3870 when that was introduced cut down a lot on the heat the 2900xt pumped out, shouldn't be much of an issue as the cards using the newer core revision.

Hey, you started it, I was just making a point.

All I'm saying is I don't see how you would call a 3870x2 a competitor to the GX2 when two 3870's in crossfire can't even reliability outperform a single 8800 Ultra. GX2 is just a superiority maintenance release by nvidia, nothing more. The real choice will be between the 3870x2 and the single-GPU 8800GTX refresh (9800 GTX or whatever they decide to call it)

It would be a competitor in the sense that both are usual dual processors to boost performance. Ive not seen many 3870 crossfire reviews to be honest but i do know that crossfire normally scales better than sli, supposodly ati are hammering away on drivers to make this product come out with a bang so theres nothing really that can be said in terms of performance untill legit reviews appear.

Picture%202386%20copy.jpg

Dual 6600, rerember me?

How long did you see me on the market for? and how many people do you know that had one?

thats because all the way from the geforce 6xxx to g80 not g92 it made 0 sense to xfire / sli anything other then the high end or just 1 card below it, 2 8600gts cards are slower then a single 8800GTS and 2 2600xts in xfire are slower then a single 2900xt, where as 2 high end chips(2x3850/3870 or 2x8800) are actually feasible and nothing on the market would be faster

cliff - 2 6600 gt = less then a single 6800GT / ULTRA so it made no sense to buy a dual 6600 =p

thats because all the way from the geforce 6xxx to g80 not g92 it made 0 sense to xfire / sli anything other then the high end or just 1 card below it, 2 8600gts cards are slower then a single 8800GTS and 2 2600xts in xfire are slower then a single 2900xt, where as 2 high end chips(2x3850/3870 or 2x8800) are actually feasible and nothing on the market would be faster

cliff - 2 6600 gt = less then a single 6800GT / ULTRA so it made no sense to buy a dual 6600 =p
sorry to nitpick but neither the 6800GT nor 6800Ultra was twice as fast as the 6600GT. the Ultra was pretty close to doing that and in some games it may have been but not overall.

sorry to nitpick but neither the 6800GT nor 6800Ultra was twice as fast as the 6600GT. the Ultra was pretty close to doing that and in some games it may have been but not overall.

I had 2 6600's in sli then i got an ultra, damm the ultra was quite a bit faster IMO.

Back