More than 5 years since launch, the Epic Game Store has still not turned profitable

Here’s what annoys me most about EGS, they brag about having the lowest fees and the best rates for developers to publish there. Why are the prices identical to Valves?

Valve who Apple was able to hold up as an example and say “We’re not gouging, look at those guys there, if they can do that with 80% of the market we should be able to do this because we’re smaller and not nearly that expensive”

So if Google and everybody else are selling their stuff in alt stores and websites for 10-30% less than the Apple web store because of the lack of fees, why aren’t games in EGS 10-30% cheaper? Developers would get the same take home as they do from Steam but we would pay less. Give me 15% cheaper option on day 1 than Steam does and I’d be buying with a smile.
Valve (steam) tos for developers prohibits having a regular price cheaper elsewhere than on their own store for a game. So you can't just price on Steam at full msrp then discount it 15% for epic permanently.

Here’s what annoys me most about EGS, they brag about having the lowest fees and the best rates for developers to publish there. Why are the prices identical to Valves?

Valve who Apple was able to hold up as an example and say “We’re not gouging, look at those guys there, if they can do that with 80% of the market we should be able to do this because we’re smaller and not nearly that expensive”

So if Google and everybody else are selling their stuff in alt stores and websites for 10-30% less than the Apple web store because of the lack of fees, why aren’t games in EGS 10-30% cheaper? Developers would get the same take home as they do from Steam but we would pay less. Give me 15% cheaper option on day 1 than Steam does and I’d be buying with a smile.

Because video games are already too inexpensive as it is. If anything, most video games should cost much more than they do.

Because video games are already too inexpensive as it is. If anything, most video games should cost much more than they do.
Ones without live service + micro transactions should, I agree. That's actually part of how devs have made it work with low msrps despite people's complaints.

We've actually seen costs go down without even factoring in inflation on games. I remember paying $70 for an nes game and $80 for an n64 game like Mario 64. Now games cost $20 to $60 with the rare 70 as msrp, and go on sale frequently. Meanwhile, they cost far more to create and market than ever before.

Publishers/developers pocket the higher margins. Only a handful of developers lowered the price to reflect the difference. Remedy priced Alan Wake 2 at $50 and explained part of the reasoning was lower fees.

This is based on what, inflation? Games and movies both cost millions to produce, and yet the cost of a game is now $70 while a newly released movie is like $20. It's not like movies don't have methods to capitalize outside of the movie itself, like merchandise and tie-ins. Games do this too, but they also have DLCs and micro-transactions. That $70 price isn't even fully accepted because some games like Baldur's Gate 3 is asking for $60 still. The nonsense of basing it on hours of game-play when modern games are infamous for just making you run around and do nothing for hours, because travel time is gameplay.

The thing I don't get here is that it's not like Epic doesn't have the resources to build out EGS correctly.
Or, it could simply be the fact that creating a storefront isn't nearly as easy as people purport it to be.
I don't think people purport anything about how hard or easy it is to make a storefront. It is the attitude that is the problem. If you kick in the doors with both legs, then you better have it all figured out, and not missing basic features. If EGS would've started out humble trying to win market share by catering to customers, then I think the majority would not have taken issue with them. And now even if they had the best storefront by now, it wouldn't really matter. I feel dirty just by thinking about EGS, let alone paying them a dime. I just don't see how they could make amends. Gaming is not essential, even if a title is exclusive I don't have to go there. If a dev chooses Epic money over customers money, that's on them. I'll buy their game a year later for half the price, if at all.
I got into so many arguments with people about Valve's 30% cut on Steam: "it costs nothing to host games and they get 30%!". And I tried to explain, "achktually, the platform is what devs are paying for. Steam handles transactions, refunds, social, automates game updates, and takes care of all management for both the devs and the customers" and people on these boards lost their shit on me for 'not getting' that Steam just provides hosting and they "don't deserve 30%".
Afaik Valve only takes 30% cut from sales on their platform, not from retail and 3rd party sales, which also all use their platform. So their actual take might be closer to 20 or 15 percent depending on how much of the game's sales happen through the steam store.
Meanwhile if that's "all it is" then these devs could easily pay for their own hosting then and put it up themselves and get 100% of the profit. And we all know for a fact that that isn't how this works. Managing a storefront sucks, and if you're a small dev you don't want to devote time to managing payment, returns, how to push updates, or even DRM (which yes we all hate, but the point is trying to sell games and prevent theft).
Paying for Steam is not about hosting or making a store, a flying monkey can set up an online storefront and hosting for one game. It is about exposure, appearing on a storefront with tens of millions of visitors.

I think that is exactly it.

While paying for exclusives and giving away games doesn't help the whole profitability thing, I think many in the industry have underestimated how much it actually costs to run a digital distribution store.

Let's not forget that the reason all the developers and publishers flocked to Steam in the first place was because that 30% fee that people complain about now, was a HUGE bargain compared to the cost of making physical copies, printing manuals, pressing CD's, assembling boxes, warehousing all of those physical copies, shipping them across the country (and world) and then after that ceding 50+% markups at box store retail, and then having to take back all of their opened returns at their cost.

In the old model their take home was probably 10-20% at most, and moving to Steam they suddenly got to keep 70%.
Do you have a source to back up that 10% claim? CDs and DVDs and printing covers literally costs cents on volume.

Fortunately they can lay off more staff and keep giving games away.

Has anyone ever gotten a game from the Epic store and actually paid for it?
I sure the fuck haven't. If a game uses Unreal Engine it doesn't mean I won't get it - I'd be locking myself out of a lot of decent (and not) games if I did that. But as far as buying anything on Epic? That's a no-sell. I'd rather buy stuff off the Microsoft Store than do that.

The Microsoft Store downloader is glitchy and gross from the few times i've used it.
Don't use the Microsoft Store. Use the Xbox app. It works exactly like Steam these days.
Do you have a source to back up that 10% claim? CDs and DVDs and printing covers literally costs cents on volume.
The 10% was what was left over after all costs, which included shipping, the retail store cut, and everything else. I know I saw this breakdown in an old issue of Game Informer. The portion of the sale that made it back to the publisher after all the costs involved in manufacturing, shipping, and displaying a product at a brick and mortar store was in the range of 7-15%.

Reactions: DPI
like this
The 10% was what was left over after all costs, which included shipping, the retail store cut, and everything else. I know I saw this breakdown in an old issue of Game Informer. The portion of the sale that made it back to the publisher after all the costs involved in manufacturing, shipping, and displaying a product at a brick and mortar store was in the range of 7-15%.
I know, and there is no way manufacturing and distributing physical copies cost that much. Sony and MS would've stopped selling physical console games a long time ago if that was true. No way they'd just continue to forfeit 60% of revenue on every physical copy of a game. They'd have forced the digital only option much harder and sooner.

Edit: According to this breakdown manufacturing only costs three fiddy, and there is no mention of distribution cost, so I assume that comes out of the retail store's 30% cut. Because AFAIK physical games stores only have a 10-15% markup on games.

Last edited:
I know, and there is no way manufacturing and distributing physical copies cost that much. Sony and MS would've stopped selling physical console games a long time ago if that was true. No way they'd just continue to forfeit 60% of revenue on every physical copy of a game. They'd have forced the digital only option much harder and sooner.

Edit: According to this breakdown manufacturing only costs three fiddy, and there is no mention of distribution cost, so I assume that comes out of the retail store's 30% cut. Because AFAIK physical games stores only have a 10-15% markup on games.
Id imagine there is more involved, not even just in costs but complications. Shipping delays, importing crap, shipment damages or losses, thefts, manufacturing forecasts, and upfront expenses (managing MOQ's), warehousing, etc etc.

Much simpler in terms of logistics to generate licenses and distribute that way.

Maybe that is what the breakdown is like nowadays, but there is this from 2006 when physical sales still reigned on both consoles and PC:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2006/12/8479/

Correcting the > 1.00 error, and taking out the development and advertising costs, the publisher share is only 3% based on this.

The Game Informer graphic I am recalling was from when the gen 8 console were launching, when the transition to digital on consoles was a big conversation. That was around 2014.

Maybe that is what the breakdown is like nowadays, but there is this from 2006 when physical sales still reigned on both consoles and PC:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2006/12/8479/

Correcting the > 1.00 error, and taking out the development and advertising costs, the publisher share is only 3% based on this.

The Game Informer graphic I am recalling was from when the gen 8 console were launching, when the transition to digital on consoles was a big conversation. That was around 2014.
That's a different breakdown which includes marketing and development costs, we are only supposed to be comparing the difference between digital distribution and physical, development and marketing is the same for both.
I don't buy it. If only 6 bucks from a $60 physical game ends up as profit, then how did sub $10 games exist? Those would be sold at a huge loss if manufacturing and distribution really were so expensive.

There was a fairly recent game on EGS that didn't support controllers (I can't remember what game it was at the moment); the solution was to add the game to Steam which would allow you to use their controller configuration to enable controller support. You can do the same to use Proton for non-Steam games in Linux. It's basically to the point that Steam makes gaming with other 'platforms' better too.

At this point I pretty much only use Steam even though I do have games scattered across different stores. I primarily game on Linux and Valve has removed 95% of the friction that used to be there. I like that some devs will post patch notes with every update (viewable from the Download screen AND the library page) and interact with the Steam community. I use the discussion forums on occasion and while there are a lot of shitposts it's not unlike GenMay here :whistle:. New games with Steam keys are 10-20% off on GMG/Fanatical/Humble and older game keys are usually available for almost nothing if they're not already on sale (and I often don't mind waiting for a sale). Steam for sure isn't perfect but Valve is constantly working to improve it and they seem to have the notion that 'if it's good for the gamers it's good for us' which is a refreshing take for a modern corporation to have.

EGS and Timmy Tencent are scumbags who's main goal is to wall off the PC ecosystem for their own gain and to the detriment of the gamers; screw them and I can't wait to feel the schadenfreude when they shut down and everyone loses their library of free games :smug:.

There was a fairly recent game on EGS that didn't support controllers (I can't remember what game it was at the moment); the solution was to add the game to Steam which would allow you to use their controller configuration to enable controller support. You can do the same to use Proton for non-Steam games in Linux. It's basically to the point that Steam makes gaming with other 'platforms' better too.

At this point I pretty much only use Steam even though I do have games scattered across different stores. I primarily game on Linux and Valve has removed 95% of the friction that used to be there. I like that some devs will post patch notes with every update (viewable from the Download screen AND the library page) and interact with the Steam community. I use the discussion forums on occasion and while there are a lot of shitposts it's not unlike GenMay here :whistle:. New games with Steam keys are 10-20% off on GMG/Fanatical/Humble and older game keys are usually available for almost nothing if they're not already on sale (and I often don't mind waiting for a sale). Steam for sure isn't perfect but Valve is constantly working to improve it and they seem to have the notion that 'if it's good for the gamers it's good for us' which is a refreshing take for a modern corporation to have.

EGS and Timmy Tencent are scumbags who's main goal is to wall off the PC ecosystem for their own gain and to the detriment of the gamers; screw them and I can't wait to feel the schadenfreude when they shut down and everyone loses their library of free games :smug:.

Gabe Newell is a scumbag too. Pick your poison I guess. I'll stick to physical copies of games personally.

Gabe Newell is a scumbag too. Pick your poison I guess. I'll stick to physical copies of games personally.
I agree with you... But we have sacrificed a lot for convenience of home. At a click we can buy the game, install and play.

I was willing to give the Epic Store a chance but it has been absolute shit for me outside of claiming the free games. No matter what I do I cannot get the app to download games at full speed and the app it self can be very slow at times.

Well as it turns out i can live without the Epic store since i can' be arsed to use "forgot password" every 3 months after an update.
Its Steam 2009 allover again.
Screw the games that i bought since i could not play even one epic games store game with my friends in the last few years anyway.

Paying for Steam is not about hosting or making a store, a flying monkey can set up an online storefront and hosting for one game. It is about exposure, appearing on a storefront with tens of millions of visitors.
A majority of the companies I was even talking about are all top of the market players.

Activision does not need Steam to advertise for them. Neither does Microsoft or EA. if it was just about advertising, then any store front would be fine and they could use any form of advertising they want to get people on any platform (from a money perspective, spending 30% of their income on advertising would be a better use of resources than paying Valve 30% over the long term; especially if the platform itself is the advertisement. As I noted in my posts, multiple companies tried for years, and all the advertising in the world didn’t solve their problem).

EGS, the launcher in this thread, is sinking billions into free games to advertise their platform, and is negative money. Advertising isnt enough to make EGS or any given game successful. I would also imagine even with exclusivity deals, there is still a significant portion of gamers that wait to buy on another platform.

This thread reveals this is far beyond just advertising to a wide audience. It’s all of the things. Again, the platform is what they're paying for. Advertising is a part of it, but just a part. Stability, UI/UX, speed, community features, and management also matter a lot.

Last edited:
A majority of the companies I was even talking about are all top of the market players.

Activision does not need Steam to advertise for them. Neither does Microsoft or EA. if it was just about advertising, then any store front would be fine and they could use any form of advertising they want to get people on any platform. EGS, this thread in question, is sinking billions into free games to advertise their platform, and is negative money. Advertising isnt enough to make EGS or any given game successful. I would also imagine even with exclusivity deals there is still a significant portion of gamers that wait to buy on another platform.

This thread reveals those things.
I often do that. Get excited about a game see it as epic exclusive and just think "eh ill wait". Which has been good for me actually because then i tend to just forget about it saving me from impulse buying.

That's a different breakdown which includes marketing and development costs, we are only supposed to be comparing the difference between digital distribution and physical, development and marketing is the same for both.
I don't buy it. If only 6 bucks from a $60 physical game ends up as profit, then how did sub $10 games exist? Those would be sold at a huge loss if manufacturing and distribution really were so expensive.
I said I took out marketing and development cost. It was 1.47% before I took those out.

I agree with you... But we have sacrificed a lot for convenience of home. At a click we can buy the game, install and play.
We also sacrificed ownership. With a click of the button, companies can take away your convenience by not being able to download and play the games. We've seen most companies do this, including Steam when companies release a remaster of their game. Those remasters don't always live up to the original.

View: https://youtu.be/_VEQ78WS5UE?si=fqIkJ5mvmhENT2yf

We also sacrificed ownership. With a click of the button, companies can take away your convenience by not being able to download and play the games. We've seen most companies do this, including Steam when companies release a remaster of their game. Those remasters don't always live up to the original.
Foamy is the best!

We never really had ownership, we were just on the side where it wasn't enforceable, usually. Music and movies always come to mind first. Hell you couldnt even sing happy birthday as a restaurant for a while. But everything going digital or streaming now has put all the cards in the media/game publishers hands and we wont ever get them back sadly.

Foamy is the best!

We never really had ownership, we were just on the side where it wasn't enforceable, usually. Music and movies always come to mind first. Hell you couldnt even sing happy birthday as a restaurant for a while. But everything going digital or streaming now has put all the cards in the media/game publishers hands and we wont ever get them back sadly.
This digital rights problem has gone beyond the media we consume. It got to the point where we can even fix our own stuff without breaking copyright. At some point we really need to be given rights over the digital goods we purchase, and it needs to be as good as ownership.

Those asshats responsible for this practice need to go wear a Kavorkian scarf already...

What if I wanted the original verson of something to run on lesser hardware, or didn't feel the remaster was worth it, as you pointed out? God forbid, what if I wanted to sell my game once I was done with it? In an all digital era that isn't possible. Or how about if a publisher or developer folds? Shit outta luck. Physical media FTW. It doesn't have any of these issues. CDs/DVDs/Blu Rays of course comes with it's own, but it's nothing that can't be solved by making disc images and a burner...

EDIT: for those who don't get the reference...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwacyhwgEto

Last edited:

I think it was closer to $12-20 or so back in the day between distribution costs and retailers cut. Steam's 30% was obviously cheaper, but there was a bit more than that as well. Retail stores occasionally had certain stipulations which was another headache. It would depend on the store of course. I know with the Strike Fighters series, the original game had a separate Walmart version due to some demands Walmart made. I also recall something similar with Red Orchestra, both publishers and stores had some odd hoops to jump through which is why Tripwire went with Steam.

This digital rights problem has gone beyond the media we consume. It got to the point where we can even fix our own stuff without breaking copyright. At some point we really need to be given rights over the digital goods we purchase, and it needs to be as good as ownership.
Not really. I'm OK with not owning it... as long as the price reflects that.

Less rights = less valuable.

I used to buy physical media (games, dvds, etc.) For full price. I could always resell it or do whatever. If I can't do those things then I'm not willing to pay as much for the product. It's really that simple. I haven't payed full price for a game in a looooooong time.

What games on Steam can you no longer access the original version after the remaster was released? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Reactions: t1k
like this
I so wanted this to succeed, but what an awful piece of software. Valve's near-complete controlling of the PC gaming market place isn't good for us, but they've also never actively made it bad for us. Epic needed to bring quality to this contest and they didn't, they tried to game the system by limiting consumer choice.

What games on Steam can you no longer access the original version after the remaster was released? I can't think of any off the top of my head.
A few. Depends on the publisher. Most of the AAA ones pull the originals to upsell you on a "remaster". You can't buy the Steam version of the original Skyrim unless you have the page link itself, for example. They remove them from search results in the Steam app. At least, this was the case a couple of years ago.

I've used Steam since it's Day 1 release and have never had a problem with it. I enjoy having my entire library in a single location and the few times I had to return a game outside the 2 hour window, Steam has never pushed back as long as I typed out why.

EA and Battlenet learned to just list their games on steam... not sure if anything is exclusive to EGS that you can't get on steam right now anyway? Not sure, have not loaded up EGS in ages (probably since I got a free copy of "Control" when I got my 2080Ti)... which shows you how unimportant it is.

A few. Depends on the publisher. Most of the AAA ones pull the originals to upsell you on a "remaster". You can't buy the Steam version of the original Skyrim unless you have the page link itself, for example. They remove them from search results in the Steam app. At least, this was the case a couple of years ago.
If you own them you can still download and play them. Steam doesn't remove games from your library.

I was willing to give the Epic Store a chance but it has been absolute shit for me outside of claiming the free games. No matter what I do I cannot get the app to download games at full speed and the app it self can be very slow at times.
There is 2 methods to fixing the launcher's horrendous dl speeds.
The one that worked for me was inputting 100000 for my dl speed vs the 0 for the so called unlimited throttle speed.

1700152853719.png

The second is:

1. Don't have the launcher open.
  2. Locate C:\Users\You\AppData\Local\EpicGamesLauncher\Saved\Config\Windows (or whatever it looks like for you, you might need to <show> the hidden folders like AppData if it isn't there)
  3. Open the Engine.ini file (it will only be here if you've downloaded and opened the launcher at least once before)
  4. It should be empty, and either way, paste in (as the only text in the file):
[HTTP] HttpTimeout=10 HttpConnectionTimeout=10 HttpReceiveTimeout=10 HttpSendTimeout=10

[Portal.BuildPatch]
ChunkDownloads=5
ChunkRetries=20
RetryTime=0.5

5. Save

6. Right click the Engine.ini, properties, enable Read-only, apply, close

7. Now, reboot your pc

8. Open Epic Games Launcher, and test if it helped (both for the launcher updates themselves, and for game downloads and updates).

Not really. I'm OK with not owning it... as long as the price reflects that.

Less rights = less valuable.

I used to buy physical media (games, dvds, etc.) For full price. I could always resell it or do whatever. If I can't do those things then I'm not willing to pay as much for the product. It's really that simple. I haven't payed full price for a game in a looooooong time.
I haven't payed full price in a long time. As GoldenTiger pointed out, I pirate first. If I like the game, like truly liked the game then I'd buy it. Usually at a discount because by the time I want to buy the game, the price has dropped. I also buy the keys from another website and then register the game on Steam. Gabe Newell said that "piracy is not a pricing issue", but it totally is. Just what excuse does a game have to be $60 or $70? Elden Ring off Steam is still $60, while Fifa 24 is $70. Demon Souls for the PS5 was released at $70, which is a remake of an old PS3 game, but they still wanted $70. Elden Ring is almost almost 2 year old but still $60 on Steam. Meanwhile physical copies for the PS5 and Xbox Series X are $40 off Amazon. You could buy it off key sites for $31, but you can't activate it on Steam if you live in USA. Which means that games on Steam are region locked, which is bullshit. You can actually buy a physical copy of Elden Ring for PS5 or Xbox Series X for $40, and actually own it, but the same game that's now nearly 2 years old is still $60 on Steam and you don't actually own it.

Sorry but it's a pricing issue.

View: https://youtu.be/lSofMoSdMqw?si=tfdsmBCmaMncx-5M
I so wanted this to succeed, but what an awful piece of software. Valve's near-complete controlling of the PC gaming market place isn't good for us, but they've also never actively made it bad for us. Epic needed to bring quality to this contest and they didn't, they tried to game the system by limiting consumer choice.
We do need competition in the PC store front, but again if Epic is just trying to entice people with game discounts then that alone isn't enough to get people to shop on Epic. In Epic's case, it is a service problem not a pricing problem.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back