Morpheus 85% done

Sounds like Sony is going to pull a Nintendo and become the Wii of VR.

are they gonna dlc the shit out of their hardware as well?
New DLC for stereo sound. Another DLC for color mode.

There's no doubt Oculus will provide the better experience. If massive corporate losses prompt Sony to jump the gun, all the better I say. Hopefully Oculus will hurry up, too. Also the Morpheus has the PS Move thing going for it I guess.

yea, but sony started VR development like 1000 years ago...

"Sony has completed 85 percent of the work it will take to make Project Morpheus available to the public." http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...speculation-to-project-morpheus-release-date/

Sounds like Morpheus may beat the Oculus Rift to market.

Beat it to what market? Its like saying orange soda is going to beat oranges to market. Morpheus will only work within PS4's closed ecosystem. Rift is open and will work on PC and any other platform that chooses to implement it, will continually be improved, has a vast and growing third party developer network, and the consumer version will be 2K, 3K or 4K res, which will require the kind of GPU horsepower that only a PC feed it.

Morpheus is a console peripheral toy, end of story.

Last edited:
And how many regular consumers can handle 2k,3k,4k res?

Please enlighten me.

I'm confused at how it's "85% done" but still "needs a lot of work before being completed". To me, 85% means minor bugs and tweaks at this point...

That's how it always is though. You can be 90% there, but the last 10% is the one that takes the most to do, like squashing bugs etc :p

Remember Zynga? Same thing is happening to Oculus - I know 2 friends that work there. After the acquisition they went bat shit crazy with spending, don't have good focus from management, and slowly falling behind the competitors. To give an example their standard workstation for an employee is around $6,000... this isn't for some developer but your run of the mill person that dabbles in graphic design and surfs the internet. They brought VR into the forefront by garnering great interest but they will not be the ones leading it into the future.

Remember Zynga? Same thing is happening to Oculus - I know 2 friends that work there. After the acquisition they went bat shit crazy with spending, don't have good focus from management, and slowly falling behind the competitors. To give an example their standard workstation for an employee is around $6,000... this isn't for some developer but your run of the mill person that dabbles in graphic design and surfs the internet. They brought VR into the forefront by garnering great interest but they will not be the ones leading it into the future.

$6,000 dollars, really? Do they get to take it home?

What does the price of an employees workstation have anything to do with the quality of their tech? They have Facebook money, I doubt they care at all.

And how many regular consumers can handle 2k,3k,4k res?

Please enlighten me.

It will be up sampled, low resolution images no doubt. I don't know what kind of gpu they will require but these aren't going to be pretty out the gate.

I keep seeing media outlets and reporters saying how it's the real deal but I honestly don't see it. I keep seeing it as a possible kinect v.1 at best for whatever reason. I might be wrong, but at the price this thing is going to release at as a peripheral I can't possibly see it getting mass market share like the original kinect.

Depending on how much graphic design they do 6k isn't alot.

There's no doubt Oculus will provide the better experience. If massive corporate losses prompt Sony to jump the gun, all the better I say. Hopefully Oculus will hurry up, too. Also the Morpheus has the PS Move thing going for it I guess.

Curious as to why you have no doubt? Sounds like you already picked a side and dont want to even give it a chance. Either way, with either one, I am waiting until VR is further along if it is indeed finally going to go mainstream. Just as with 3d tvs, i waited a good 5 years before even bothering with it, and it wasnt a primary reason for an upgrade.

Just not feeling the Oculus as it as at this stage having demo'd a few of them. Content still is whats going to make or break them.

Curious as to why you have no doubt? Sounds like you already picked a side and dont want to even give it a chance. Either way, with either one, I am waiting until VR is further along if it is indeed finally going to go mainstream. Just as with 3d tvs, i waited a good 5 years before even bothering with it, and it wasnt a primary reason for an upgrade.

Just not feeling the Oculus as it as at this stage having demo'd a few of them. Content still is whats going to make or break them.

No sides. I'll be getting one for sure. Following Oculus and the Rift's development, though, I'd be very surprised if Sony has managed to outdo them in terms of technique.

Curious as to why you have no doubt? Sounds like you already picked a side and dont want to even give it a chance. Either way, with either one, I am waiting until VR is further along if it is indeed finally going to go mainstream.

Curious what sides you believe there to be in two different 1-horse races.? Sony's device is a console peripheral. That means it will only work inside the closed PS4 ecosystem. Resolution and functionality will be hamstrung by relatively underpowered console hardware. The scope of the functionality and featureset for this device that will be sold in toy stores will be much more limited than the Rift.

And its not going to beat Rift on price - since that device aims to be sold for near breakeven - so its hard to imagine a homebrew hacker community springing up to try to get Sony's device hacked into working unofficially with Windows, when the Rift already caters precisely to those types of enthusiasts with full support and encouragement from Oculus VR.

Sony are in a quagmire with the Morpheus more than anyone realizes, they witnessed the Kinect as a colossal blunder that cost Microsoft the new gen console race, and surely know they cannot afford a peripheral of their own to fizzle nearly the same way.

Last edited:
Back