Morrowind Overhaul 2.0 released

evilsofa

[H]F Junkie
MGSO 2.0 is a major graphics and sound overhaul for Morrowind, with a huge list of included mods. The author of MGSO got permission to use them all.

http://morrowindoverhaul.rpgitalia.net/

Includes an auto-installer that gives you the whole shebang in one click - no more spending all day installing dozens of mods manually, hoping that something doesn't break along the way. You can choose not to use the auto-installer if you prefer.

Yes, it includes that mod. And that one too. And not only that one, but the updated XE version that allows shadows for statics! And dozens more. Here's the modlist (link opens pdf file).

Video of MGSO 2.0
Screenshot Gallery

So I have it on Steam. Do I have to fuck around with patches or does this thing just go?

I'm sure the readme will cover it, the modder in charge was always very thorough. I have a boxed copy somewhere that I'll need to install.

Since Skyrim just shit on me, maybe I'll just stick to Morrowind.

Anyone have any recommendations for leveling mods that streamline the process a bit? Something more akin to nGCD for Oblivion or Skyrim's leveling system? The whole multiplier thing has always been an annoying pain in the ass.

The overhaul doesn't include anything other than graphical mods from what I saw in the PDF.

Anyone have any recommendations for leveling mods that streamline the process a bit? Something more akin to nGCD for Oblivion or Skyrim's leveling system? The whole multiplier thing has always been an annoying pain in the ass.

Nope morrowind is for manly men!

Apparently I was manlier when I was 16 than I am now. =/

*Edit: Installed a fresh copy of Morrowind from Steam. Ran it once. Installed the overhaul and now the game just crashes on startup. Oh well...

Last edited:
Apparently I was manlier when I was 16 than I am now. =/

*Edit: Installed a fresh copy of Morrowind from Steam. Ran it once. Installed the overhaul and now the game just crashes on startup. Oh well...

run as admin? (Or install outside of Program Files)

I know a few mods have issues with the steam version of the game, requiring you to go in and modify the dates on which the primary esm files were created (morrowind, bloodmoon and tribunal). So you might want to try that. (google for a more specific explanation).

The first time around I gave all users read/write permissions to all users for the Morrowind folder (this usually fixes 99.9% of all UAC issues I've come across with older games). Some of the shaders were not loading correctly-their was a fix in the MGSO forums that worked for some people experiencing the issue, but didn't solve mine.

I uninstalled Morrowind and tried reinstalling with UAC fully disabled. No errors regarding the shaders this time around, and I'm able to start the game, but everything but menus are completely black. I can't see anything on the ship at all and there is a box around the mouse cursor.

*Edit: And the ESM files appear to have had there dates reset by the installer.

*Edit: Fixed the black screen issue by disabling the Steam overlay. Seems to run now, albeit rather sluggishly. I'll need to tweak the settings some more.

*Edit: Re-enabling UAC after installing everything still breaks the game, even with all users having read/write permission. Seems to be a problem with Morrowind Graphics Extender XE.

*Edit: Tried moving the game folder to my user's directory using junctions. Still broken with UAC enabled. Seems like it's buggered unless you're willing to compromise security.

Madd Leveler or GCD are good leveling choices.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was a big fan of nGCD for Oblivion. Didn't realize GCD was made for Morrowind.

Last edited:
I'll have to install this. Would be nice to play my favorite game with updated graphics. Thanks OP!

Third time was the charm. To the best of my recollection, these are the exact steps I followed to get the overhaul working with the Steam version under Win7.

Do a clean install of Morrowind through Steam.

Disable Steam community in game (right click on Morrowind in Steam -> properties, uncheck the box)

Go to the installation directory (../Steam/steamapps/common/morrowind). Check "Run this program as an administrator" in properties for both Morrowind.exe and Morrowind Launcher.exe.

Right click on the Morrowind installation folder, click on Properties -> Security -> Edit..... choose the Users group at the top, and check the allow full control checkmark. Apply. (This step may or may not be neccesary).

Run Morrowind once and exit.

Run MGSO20Installer.exe as administrator. Follow the prompts.

Cross your fingers and run the game.

You can change a bunch of settings by running MGEXEgui.exe in the Morrowind install directory, including getting rid of that annoying Depth of Field shader.

Still not sure what I did wrong the first two times around, but it appears to be working now.

Should I install this on my SSD or HDD? Specs below.

I'm just curious since MW is a bitch on any system, apparently.

I shouldn't say "apparently" since I've run it on several single core systems that were far better than what was available at release. I'll just say it didn't perform well then; even less well on a dual core. So I hope there'll be something of not with the current options, 10+ years on.

Last edited:
Looks interesting

If I have some spare change after getting what I want from this Steam sales, I might pick up Morrowind just for this at $10 on Steam sales.

Should I install this on my SSD or HDD? Specs below.

I'm just curious since MW is a bitch on any system, apparently.

I shouldn't say "apparently" since I've run it on several single core systems that were far better than what was available at release. I'll just say it didn't perform well then; even less well on a dual core. So I hope there'll be something of not with the current options, 10+ years on.

It really shouldnt matter as far as performance is concern as this is so old game. Biggest problem I have faced with Morrowind on current systems was that you shouldnt have any Triple Buffering forcer on as it resulted in crashes.

Oh man I should give Morrowind a go as it is so much better game than Oblivion, slightly better than Skyrim but those two latters have spoiled me with their combat system. Morrowinds hit&miss dice combat is complete balls until you manage to level up a lot.

Can I drop one of those character progression mods in over the top of Overhaul 2.0? Anyone tried?

EvanH, looking into your issues, I thought to myself "Gee, it's too bad you can't move Steam out of the Programs folder and into its own custom directory to get it out of UAC control entirely", and found out that in fact you can do that:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php7418-YUBN-8129

This might be the way for Steam Morrowind players to avoid a bunch of problems altogether.

I install other games that have trouble with UAC in their own root folders. The two in particular I'm aware of is Freelancer, which I custom install to:
C:\Freelancer\
and Divine Divinity, which I custom install to
C:\DD\

Got it installed and the game looks wonderful. Anyone know how to get flowing, moving grass though? I thought I had that using Morrowind 2011 but can't seem to figure out how to get it back.

I like it. But, why does the video have a cover of the Skyrim theme song? Nerevarine you whore.

Version 2.0.1 has been released, and may solve some installation and performance problems.

I like it. But, why does the video have a cover of the Skyrim theme song? Nerevarine you whore.

Indeed. The Morrowind theme is the best of the lot (no seemingly "epic" horde of barbarians yelling incomprehensible gibberish at high volumes). It's a well composed piece that stands on its own and doesn't need such worthless fluff.

I've wanted to play Morrowind for a long time, only played through Oblivion and Skyrim. Looks like I know what game I'm playing next :)

Whoa. Trying this out later. I got so burned out on Skyrim. Need a change of scenery. :p

Indeed. The Morrowind theme is the best of the lot (no seemingly "epic" horde of barbarians yelling incomprehensible gibberish at high volumes). It's a well composed piece that stands on its own and doesn't need such worthless fluff.

The voices are overdone on that piece and one or two others but so much of the rest of Jeremy's music for Skyrim really is outstanding and breathtaking. He outdid himself yet again.

Okay, I'm just now reinstalling Morrowind to use the Overhaul. I have a retail DVD copy of the GOTY edition but I keep getting errors. I can install regular Morrowind just fine, but when I try to install Tribunal I am told that there's an error copying MorrowindLauncher.exe, so all I can do is click 'Ignore'. After that I try to install Bloodmoon, and I get another launcher.exe error and I can't finish. What the fudge? I can't make it stop doing that.

Wow! That's all I have to say about this installer. It literally does everything for you. Your mouse and KB move to the buttons and click/type all on their own. Like a ghost is installing it for you, lol. VERY impressed with this package.:cool:

Okay, I'm just now reinstalling Morrowind to use the Overhaul. I have a retail DVD copy of the GOTY edition but I keep getting errors. I can install regular Morrowind just fine, but when I try to install Tribunal I am told that there's an error copying MorrowindLauncher.exe, so all I can do is click 'Ignore'. After that I try to install Bloodmoon, and I get another launcher.exe error and I can't finish. What the fudge? I can't make it stop doing that.

I'll ask the obvious silly question. Is UAC off and are you running the installer exe as admin? Try installing to a directory outside of Program Files, like C:\Morrowind.

I've been running this mod compilation for about 15 game hours so far, and I can say it looks fantastic. With my poor old 5850, I'm getting 34-40 fps in most outdoor areas, but Vivec kinda kills it in the ~24 range. Oh well, playable enough that I'm not turning any settings down.

I had to disable that Depth of Field shader. Its awesome, but boy, does it need to blur every time I draw an arrow into my bow? The shader detects that my vision is, for a split second, "looking" at the bow string and for that split second, EVERYTHING goes blurry. I'd love to keep the shader on, but that just kills it for me.

I had to disable that Depth of Field shader. Its awesome, but boy, does it need to blur every time I draw an arrow into my bow? The shader detects that my vision is, for a split second, "looking" at the bow string and for that split second, EVERYTHING goes blurry. I'd love to keep the shader on, but that just kills it for me.

Is there much of a performace gain with it off? I'd trade it for a few fps, as I don't see it all that needed. It looks good in some areas, while distracting in others.

This is pretty goddamn amazing. I installed it today and been playing a few hours. The installer is impressive, doing every little thing for you in a half-dozen config programs. Very very nice.

Btw, the semi colon ; toggles shaders on/off during the game, if you want to see performance hit. Fairly huge, but for me the swing is like 150+fps without, 30-50 with, so I leave it on.

Heres some pics.

Starter town:
0q1mN.jpg

Balmora:
bLkHN.jpg

l6cXb.jpg

wow

just

wow

if it was not for old republic i would be so on this, will probly just install it soon just to check it out lol

but wow the love for this game to this day is just insane

Back