Most life-like games now?

Gillette said:
Doom 3 was like cheese... It used to be milk (i.e. good), but now it just feels like it's been left out in the sun too long and turned into mold.

HL2 wasn't very impressive either.

Anyway, I much perfered the graphics in HL2. The lighting effects in Doom 3 were PAINFUL. Take a close look at them sometime, there's no depth or bump mapping to them, they just turn into a clueless black line that overlaps whatever it touches regardless of shape, light, or distance. They looked amazing until I bothered to look closer.

You call the lightning in Doom3 bad :confused:
Would you please show me a game with good lightning effects then? :rolleyes:

Terra...

LadyMakoFox said:
You people got to see things on Doom 3??! I was too busy doing flashlight, shoot, flashlight, shoot to see the laminated monsters... lol

duct tape mod for the win

Terra said:
You call the lightning in Doom3 bad :confused:
Would you please show me a game with good lightning effects then? :rolleyes:

Terra...

I have yet to find one. And I didn't say it was bad, I said they were "painful".

LadyMakoFox said:
You people got to see things on Doom 3??! I was too busy doing flashlight, shoot, flashlight, shoot to see the laminated monsters... lol

Go underground, fry the fusebox, then tell me what you see? ;)

Terra...

Thought:

I would like to se anyone here fire 5 shots of a Remington Pumpgun, and hold a flashlight at the same time...

Terra - Any contenders? :rolleyes:

there's nothin wrong with doom 3's lightin. they did good job on that part and hl2 have better graphic than doom3 btw.

HL2 has much nicer character models and textures no doubt. I was very dissapointed by its lack of real time lighting though. Even basic cast shadows would have been nice, heck I think even Thief 1 had those :p

Unknown-One said:
oh gawd, dont start that again! They both have thair good points!
DooM 3 has some of the best lighting effects I've ever seen.
Half-Life 2 has some of the best texture work I've ever seen.

Now, if a hybreed was made with half life like textures with DooM 3's lighting effects (And impressive polly count) that would ROCK! :eek:

Welcome to quake wars :D

as far as I know it uses the Doom3 engine, and the video on fileshack of it is absolutly breathtaking.

http://www.fileshack.com/file_download.x?fid=7015

Terra said:
Thought:

I would like to se anyone here fire 5 shots of a Remington Pumpgun, and hold a flashlight at the same time...

I would like to see someone go to Mars, and kill hell spawn single handedly. Any contenders? Discussions of realism never make sense to me in those kinds of games.

As for as most life like, which I would take to mean something you could actually do in your life, I'm pretty sure Doom3 and HL2 are near the bottom of the list. :p

I guess you could do GTA:SA for a while, until they caught you and gave you a lethal injection. :D

Terra said:
Thought:

It's called duct tape
Or a simple helmet much like miners have (they are mining in Doom 3) or helmets much like marines had in the movie Aliens.
The problem with the Doom3 flashlight :rolleyes:
Having a flashlight all the time alone would have made it "brighter" for most people I'm sure

nighthawk8k said:
Have you played Forza Motorsport? It's pretty incredible...

Yeah I loved it. I rented it for 7 days i think. Got about 50% through the game. It was pretty sweet. I'll prolly buy it if it ever goes down in price. I wish they would make it for PC, and freshen the graphics some.

Jonsey said:
I guess you could do GTA:SA for a while, until they caught you and gave you a lethal injection. :D

That's how the game should end so these 13 year-olds truly learn how "kewl" it is to be "gangsta"- that would be some good realism.

kpedge said:
That's how the game should end so these 13 year-olds truly learn how "kewl" it is to be "gangsta"- that would be some good realism.
LMAO.... indeed. Did any of you guys read in the news about some kid in alabama or mississippi who was under arrest, he was at the station, took the gun from a cop, shot two of them, and stole a Crown Vic? He claimed it was because GTA taught him what to do and he jsut acted without thinking.... if I recall he was around 14??! How crazy is that?

foofighter06 said:
Yeah I loved it. I rented it for 7 days i think. Got about 50% through the game. It was pretty sweet. I'll prolly buy it if it ever goes down in price. I wish they would make it for PC, and freshen the graphics some.
Yeah that would be ideal, I love the way there is damage effects and how you have to pay for it at the end... that was the reason I got it, the Washington Post said it was just like GT but better because it had the damage.

nighthawk8k said:
LMAO.... indeed. Did any of you guys read in the news about some kid in alabama or mississippi who was under arrest, he was at the station, took the gun from a cop, shot two of them, and stole a Crown Vic? He claimed it was because GTA taught him what to do and he jsut acted without thinking.... if I recall he was around 14??! How crazy is that?
Crazy that is. I don't blame computer games, though. I blame either the parents or loose wiring in their heads.

nighthawk8k said:

If it didn't take more than a game(or a video, tune ect.) to make him do that, you can't blame the game...blame his parents...

Terra - That never understood you can't say "fuck" on the air in the US...but buy a gun you can :confused:

DejaWiz said:
Crazy that is. I don't blame computer games, though. I blame either the parents or loose wiring in their heads.
Yeah I totally agree, I think that its total and that he's just pleading that way to try to get put into an institute or something, like pleading insainity..... jsut blame video games.

edit - @ terra, it is weird isn't it, but the kid didn't buy one he just stole it off a cop (in this case)... although in England (not sure about other countries in Europe) he wouldn't have been able to even do that because the police don't usually have guns.

nighthawk8k said:
Yeah I totally agree, I think that its total and that he's just pleading that way to try to get put into an institute or something, like pleading insainity..... jsut blame video games.

That's exactly what he was trying to do- blame anything but himself. Lock his butt up. They left the part out of GTA where you go to jail and get raped.

Seriously if on Mars you'd think they would have like an assload of gods gift to the world "Duct Tape" seriously though you on Mars yet you still have a hand held flashlight...

LadyMakoFox said:
Seriously if on Mars you'd think they would have like an assload of gods gift to the world "Duct Tape" seriously though you on Mars yet you still have a hand held flashlight...
Hmm, or better yet.... That far into the future and they take the little spotlights off the suits like astronauts have today? Or that far into the future and weapons designed to be used in dark environments don't have built in lights? You'd think the Marines of the future would be taking more high tech weaponry to a foreign planet with them than something that will be in display cases of American Legion halls at that time... LOL

kpedge said:
That's exactly what he was trying to do- blame anything but himself. Lock his butt up. They left the part out of GTA where you go to jail and get raped.
Yeah... I found the story incase you actually wanted to read such garbage, lol
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/06/17/60minutes/main702599.shtml
"suing Moore, as well as Wal-Mart and GameStop" wow, they are suing places that sell the game... good luck.
edit: holy crap they are suing sony too?
"Take-Two Interactive, the creator of Grand Theft Auto, and Sony, which makes the device that runs the game, are also being sued" I never knew all this... lol :eek:

nighthawk8k said:
Yeah... I found the story incase you actually wanted to read such garbage, lol
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/06/17/60minutes/main702599.shtml
"suing Moore, as well as Wal-Mart and GameStop" wow, they are suing places that sell the game... good luck.
edit: holy crap they are suing sony too?
"Take-Two Interactive, the creator of Grand Theft Auto, and Sony, which makes the device that runs the game, are also being sued" I never knew all this... lol :eek:

Well, I'm from Bama so... :eek: .

This kid was just a thug wanna-be. He played GTA because he was sick and he murdered for the same reason. This isn't some good kid that turned bad because he played a game, this is a dead-end piece of garbage that needs one in the head. Suing the game makers for this is like suing matchmakers for what an arsonist does.

/rant

Everquest2 has very nice graphics... hell you can't even turn the candy up all the way on even the fastest machines.

I just wish the actual game itself didn't suck.

imho doom 3 is like this..how can you say things look good when you can't see them?

doom3 had ok graphics..like a lto of people i think it's a little dark...mostly for lack of a flashlight on your suit..the ducttape mod helped quite a bit..should come on the cd as a option

hl2..the settings will change a lot..in dx9 with high settings it's breathtaking in some area's..

doom3 rules the dark area's..but hl2 rules the rest

farcry takes the cake for large open area's and beaches..

each game has strength's and weaknesses..

doom3 was close quarters in a dark enviroment..
hl2 was balanced and it's water was amazing
farcry was open and free-roaming..

each engine would be amazing in it's own area..but it's hard to say which is the best or most realistic..because it depends in which enviroment you place it.

RED FACTION!!!!!!

ok well maybe not at all.... but at least you could use your weapons to blow holes thru any wall......sexxxxxyyyyyyyyyyyy

kpedge said:
Well, I'm from Bama so... :eek: .

This kid was just a thug wanna-be. He played GTA because he was sick and he murdered for the same reason. This isn't some good kid that turned bad because he played a game, this is a dead-end piece of garbage that needs one in the head. Suing the game makers for this is like suing matchmakers for what an arsonist does.

/rant

QFT.

In addition, didn't the product have the rating on the cover? Parents have given up way to much responsibility for their children over the last couple years. They seem to want the Government or someone else to deal with the topics of Drugs, Sex and now Video Games.

Don't have suggestions on how to fix this, except for individual efforts, but seriously people have to start taking "responsibility" for their own actions and the consequences, instead of "passing the buck".

Games that look more and more real are less and less appealing to me. Why play videogames if they are going to look real?

The point of video games is to escape reality... best game, Mega Man 2 - NES

Eye candy is great, but I'd much rather have gameplay. I thought Farcry pretty much murdered D3/HL2 as far as overall engine/graphics. (The shadow work in Farcry is amazing.)

When it comes to gameplay, they all are pretty crappy. I like the realism feel. This is why Call of Duty: United Offensive has me so taken. You log into a REALISM server and it pretty much kills even AA. Graphics are great, team play is important and it's pretty hard to run & gun.

All of the mods out there just add so much more value to the game. Less shots needed to die, get hit from a bullet in an important place or get hit by nade splash and you're shellshocked.. Get shot in the hand and you drop your weapon.. That noise/blur you have when being knocked down or shellshocked is intense. Some servers make you bleedout. Add in pretty much being required to aim down your iron sights and it makes for some very fun/interesting/immersive experiences. To hell with CS Source and all those other noob games where you shoot from the hips nailing people with headshots and no scope from 200+ yards.

mentok1982 said:
Splinter Cell Choas Theory is more realistic than Half Life 2 but not by much.

Sam looks around with his eyes, he rests on his knees if he has remained in crouch position for too long.
The AI in that game is the best I have ever encountered.

I have to agree,I am playing Chaos theiory now with my GTX and the eye candy is well, spectacular

Americas Army was realisitic to me but I have notplayed for ions, i wonder howfar alongit has become

I would like to see someone go to Mars, and kill hell spawn single handedly. Any contenders?

Lol QFT man!

Any ways In terms of Graphics I perfer HL2 and Far Cry over DOOM3. Their is pretty much one reason and thats that you can see the enviorment. Also Gameplay wise Far Cry and HL2 Beat DOOM3 on all acounts. But none the less I play games such as Rainbow Six Three Raven Shield, BF1942/2, CS/S (all the others too) and Guild Wars because the Game play in my opinion is so much better.
Not saying they are bad games though.

{NG}Fidel said:
Lol QFT man!

Any ways In terms of Graphics I perfer HL2 and Far Cry over DOOM3. Their is pretty much one reason and thats that you can see the enviorment. Also Gameplay wise Far Cry and HL2 Beat DOOM3 on all acounts. But none the less I play games such as Rainbow Six Three Raven Shield, BF1942/2, CS/S (all the others too) and Guild Wars because the Game play in my opinion is so much better.
Not saying they are bad games though.

doom was a bit of a dissapointment for me. ITs alot more fun in god mode with the music turned up, and a 6 pack of beer rofl

Isnt the new AA being done with the Unreal 3 engine? Its graphics seem to get slightly better every time I see it.

HL2 graphics are BEAUTIFUL at max settings, nothing even comes close to it, IMO.

Farcry is a close second, with the game at max settings and lots of AA/AF its just freaking amazing, the best level to see this in is the Dam level where you are starting atop the waterfall, you look over and you just have to take a second to realize how far and how detailed it still is.

IMO, Doom 3's graphics SUCKED. Nothing around it at all, just totally sucked ass, and to add onto that it was a freaking boring as game. Sorry kids, but spawning a monster doesnt scare me, I'll simply turn around and blow its ass to chunks.

I'm looking foward to seeing if the Splinter Cell guys will use the Unreal 3 engine, since the current games engine is just an extremely modified Unreal 2.5 engine.

LadyMakoFox said:

Marine From DOOM 3 said:
They give me a BFG9000 but can't spare some duct tape!?

For the most life like game I would have to say Half Life 2. The combination of both graphics and physics made it more immersive. In that airboat level, looking at all the chaos being reflected in the water was just :eek:

doofus question here, how much does having a Ti4200 affect the image quality? I'm running with WinXP Pro SP1 and Directx 9c. Some scenes in Far Cry looked a little cartoonish to me.

I would also have to say Half-Life2, some games look so good, but Half-Life2 is the definite winner. Swat4 looked good though.

forumposter32 said:
doofus question here, how much does having a Ti4200 affect the image quality? I'm running with WinXP Pro SP1 and Directx 9c. Some scenes in Far Cry looked a little cartoonish to me.

Well, your card can only do DIrect X 8, which makes water in HL2 look like crap for the most part.

Farcry's graphics are kinda cartoonish, they look like clay models, just like Doom 3. That's why neither game is very life like.

Though from knowing your system specs its not like you're running anything beyond 800x600 and medium details.

Anthem515 said:
Are you kidding me? Half-Life 2 beats all when it comes to realism. The environment is much more life-like, and the story is some-what attractive. Not like Doom 3. First off, Doom 3 has no lifeness to it at all. You barely go outside your ship onto Mars, so you can't enjoy it fully. Another thing that I would talk about is the scripting in Doom 3. The AI is horrible! I go to open up a door and an enemy is just sitting there not attacking me. Obviously, the AI didn't kick in yet, so I pull out my shotgun and blow its face into pieces. Same thing happened a couple second later. Overall, Half-Life 2 owns Doom 3, in both storyline, AND realism. I would definitely recommend it over Doom 3 :) .
The reason why HL2 looks so good is because of the small items laying around everywhere and how they mapped it. Doom 3s graphic engine is way more beter. If you were to convert a HL2 level with all the goodies inside it(like tables and stuff) and redid some of the bumpmaps than that would be one of the best games. Valve did a really good job on the maps of HL2 and using graphic engine to its best. Doom 3s lighting is soo much beter than HL2. Doom 3s bump maps and some of the effects are a lot beter as well. HL2 textures,specalar maps and map design is what really makes HL2 look great.

So basically this: Valve makes a pretty decent engine, but they are AMAZING game makers. HL2 impresses me more each time I play it, just so, I dont know, amazing, the feeling of the game is just so good.

Back