"Most noise reduction" headphones

LtWaldo

n00b
I would like to find headphones that have the most noise reduction. I don't care about that "hissing" sound you get from active noise cancelling - I would rather have the hissing sound that my roommate's voice. My roommate plays WoW with teamspeak all day long and it's getting kind of annoying, as well as leaving the tv on. I could go somewhere else, but I would just rather get some nice headphones. I've shopped and read some reviews. I'm looking for the sub $200 range. I've tried a few and the headphones that rest on my ears tend to be uncomfortable after awhile. I'm looking for some that are comfortable for many many hours. Should I just suck up the cost and buy the Bose ones? There are many other "noise cancelling" headphones...but which ones actually block noise the most efficiently, as in dbi?

Thanks.

edit: Thanks for all the advice, guys! I ordered the HD280Pros from headphone.com and I'll try them out. I've ordered (and returned) many other headphones from them in the past, including the Etymotic ER-6i, which were a little annoying for long hours. In addition, I hated clearing out the ear wax all the time. However, they did give excellent noise cancelling functionality. My question is that does active noise cancelling in an environment that I described above actually make a difference? There are active noise cancelling headphones for as little as $50 from Plane Quiet.

Instead of the noise cancelling phones, I would suggest a good set of closed headphones. I am not very knowledgeable in that field because I prefer open phones. I am sure that someone knowledgeable will chime in very soon and point you in the right direction. Just please do not buy the Bose headphones because a) they sound horrible b) a good set of closed phones will do the same, if not better job at blocking outside noises. I will not make any suggestions(except telling you not to buy the Bose), since it has been a long time since I have listened to closed cans.

Noise cancelling does not help to reduce voice, since the frequency of the two sounds are not in the same range. Buying noise canceling phones will not help in your situation. Instead, I suggest that you buy some closed phones, as molson had suggested. Some good closed headphones that comes to mind are the Sennheiser HD280, Audio Technica A series (500,700,900). You might also want to look into IEMs (in ear monitors), which also isolates noise well.

If you would entertain the posibility of earbuds, the shure e series, e3c and up should provide much isolation with the right earbud piece (i've mine with the cuscom foamies and can't even hear the busride ambient thrum when it's on 5 on my karma).

The HD280pro do an ok job at reducing outside noise, although it does not compare to a good set of Ear Muffs. Still, unless your roomate is yelling into his mic, chances are it will do the job just fine for blocking out his noise and TV.

~Hope this helps

yep, hd280s are about the best isolating full-size headphones available. IEMs (in-ear monitors, earplug phones like the etymotics, Shures etc) isolate even more, but you may find them uncomfortable.

I have a set of the Bose headphones- they are great, very comfortable.

As AdamW suggested, IEMS are the best choice, followed by good closed headphones. I find it uncomfortable to wear my ER-4Ps for more then a few hours, but it's good for when my roommate's RPG group is here.

As others have suggested, IEMS are the best choice, followed by good closed headphones. I find it uncomfortable to wear my ER-4Ps for more then a few hours, but it's good for when my roommate's RPG group is here.

I can vouch for the HD280pro's. I got my mate to crank his stereo to moderately high volumes while I listened to music at normal volumes with the headphones (in the same room btw), and the only part of the stereo that affected me was the bass, which feels really weird when listening to completely different music :D .

Back