Most popular card of 2007

Lucky007

Weaksauce
I think it was the 8800GT 512, expecially when it first came out. Whats everyone else think?

Considering how many people had a 320MB 8800GTS when they came out, I'd say it was quite popular, too. Plus, it had availability, which I think skews perception of popularity with regard to the 8800GT. Certainly the 8800GT is popular, but there just weren't enough of them at launch.

I'd probably go with the 320mb 8800gts as well. I think the popularity the 8800gt had the last few months of the year does not cover the success the 8800gts had before that.

the 8800GTS without doubt was the most popular videocard of the year, with availability at a high and fairly resonable cost there just wasnt as much talk about it.

8800GTS all the way. mainly because it was out all year compared to the GT only being out 2 or 3 months.

The most popular card would be the 8800GT, from the fact of its initial Price/Performance ratio. In close second would be the 8800GTS 320/640.

Well, just looking at the reviews for the EVGA 8800 GTS 640 vs the EVGA 8800 GT 512, it is easily the 8800 GTS 640. This is assuming we are talking about ALL of 2007 and not just the last 2 months.

320 reviews for the EVGA 8800 GT 512.
1100 reviews for the EVGA 8800 GTS 640.

This goes on the same way for each manufacturer.

Well, just looking at the reviews for the EVGA 8800 GTS 640 vs the EVGA 8800 GT 512, it is easily the 8800 GTS 640. This is assuming we are talking about ALL of 2007 and not just the last 2 months.

320 reviews for the EVGA 8800 GT 512.
1100 reviews for the EVGA 8800 GTS 640.

This goes on the same way for each manufacturer.

Well then wouldn't you find the first 2 months of the GTS 640 and compare it to the first 2 months of the GT? Not a year to 2 months....:eek:

I forgot about the GTS 320, I wasn't really following the video card scene when it came out. Pretty much I baught a 8600GTS a month before the 8800GT came out, then got the GT. LOL I didn't even bother to read the hype about the GT before it launched.

I would have to say 8800GT. Only reason was that many people were perfectly happy with their 7900 series and x1900 series cards for the games that were out. Many were not looking to spend the $320+ for the GTS. As soon as the GT popped up with some benchmarks and their price point many people were looking to dump their old cards for the new cheaper and faster than the GTS cards.

The idea is the most popular card. Even though the GTS was leader for most of 2007, I still believe that there is a much bigger demand for the GT.

So my definition of popular is demand for a card.

Your definition might be amount purchased. Others might be in use over time.

I guess it depends how you look at it.

I would say the 8800gt's were the most popular cards,just look at the demand for these things were,'out of stock',those three words were real popular with the 88gt's.

In cards sold per week, 8800gt must of killed that record this year.

Here are some real numbers for you:

http://www.gpureview.com/database.php

Since the 8600 GT has been out longer, I would call that the most popular card of the year based
on the page views on my site.

The 8800 GT is very popular right now and has been since it came out.

The 512MB 8800 GTS has been in spot 7 or 8 since it came out. I think there is too much
confusion in the GTS line now.

I should ask Mike (the site owner) if we can come up with page view data for all of 2007.

The only way to truly tell the most popular would be sales records. Sure the 8800gt had a high demand, but the number of people that actually got them may be different plus you have to consider the 3850 and 3870 owners that took away from the 8800gt. I think the 8800gts 320mb was the most popular all year because of the price point it had also it was widely available. Again find some sales records so we can know for sure.

i second the 8800GT Ppl were going wild everyone wanted there hands on it ! TIll this day theres barely any in stock

For all of 2007 it would be the 8800GTS. For the best bang/buck card, it would be the 8800GT.

8800GTS 320/640, nvidia had to of sold way more of them in the 8/10 months prior to the 8800GT. People who said the 8800GT was more popular are stupid, it was only more popular because of its price point / the holiday season, the 8800GTS was out for way longer, and got more sales.

I am sure the 8600GT got the most overall sales this year, but how popular is that card, lets be honest.

Perhaps if that wording were used it would be the GT however if most popular then the GTS series

according to this, anda lot of guys use this, the gts 320/640 was number 1, then gtx. then 8600gt then the gt.

http://service.futuremark.com/orb/index.jsp

here, it shows that there were almost 5 times as many submissions for gts than there were for gt. i know this isnt sales, but it is probably a decent indicator of the popularity.
http://www.yougamers.com/hardware/stats/3dmark06/alltime/

here the gt doesnt even make the list for most poplar graphics card, only the list for most popular dx10 graphics card it is number 5 (this probably a good representation of 2007 vid cards.)
http://www.yougamers.com/hardware/stats/yougamers/alltime/

My guess is any card over $180 would not be the most popular. Aren't the lower end cards the real money makers?

If so I would guess 8600GT.

My guess is any card over $180 would not be the most popular. Aren't the lower end cards the real money makers?

If so I would guess 8600GT.

Yes, as they are included in Dell/HP/YourFavCompanyHere system's. I figured the OP ment the most popular for enthusiasts though.

The most hype about a card this year has to be the 8800gt.

3850/3870

The 8800GT was popular, but how many of us broke down and bought a HD38** when they couldnt find a 8800GT at sane prices.

I did!

Yes loads of people have the original gts, but there wasnt really any rush or huge demand to get them like the 8800gt.

i find that hard to believe.... i dont remember the 8800GTS being as popular as the 8800GT when released....

But it had a whole year vs the 2 months or so of the GT.

Also, many GT owners were previous GTS owners.

ALOT of ppl stepped up to the 8800GT or sold there 8800gts ! But yeah thinking about it i think the gts sold alot more. It was a great card !

Back