Most popular gaming platform by country

J W

[H]ard|Gawd
Has anyone ever created such a list? It seems like eastern and central Europeans are more into PC, where Americans/British/Japanese are more into console. I can't find any actual data to support this, however.

I've never heard of PC vs console data, though there's plenty of console vs console data around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars

You could probably compare that to individual PC games, for example The Witcher 2 gave its sales region by region, I'm sure you could find others. So if a console has sold more in the US compared to Europe, that would imply there are more console gamers in the US, then if a PC game sold equally well or better in Europe than the US, that'd imply there's a greater proportion of PC gamers to console gamers in Europe than the US.

I'm not saying that IS the case, I'm saying that's how you could test it. But you'd have to do it with a few different consoles and a few different games, as certain games would be more popular based on region (I know TW2 sold heaps of copies in Russia, I'm not sure if that's common and Russia has a huge gaming community that rivals the US, or just because Russians love TW2).

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/08/cd-projekt-will-never-use-drm-says-ceo/#more-98196

WOW the N64 only sold 5 million units in Japan but 20 million in the US? I didn't know it wasn't that popular in Japan.

Japan is actually a bit of a stand out in terms of console popularity in East Asia. The consoles you know of are technically illegal for sale in China. They were also banned in South Korea I believe until the PS2. The gaming culture is overall quite different compared to Western markets.

A side issue though with the markets where PC gaming is actually more popular as a platform is that it does not translate into the same type of software revenue like the Western markets more dominated by consoles.

PC gaming is hard to say. I have bought a few games for the PC, but I don't really consider myself a "PC Gamer," by any stretch of the imagination. I'd probably be still lopped into the "PC gaming," category, nevertheless. Otherwise, it's mostly work + surfing on my computers, and rarely, gaming. I think I spend more time dicking around with my PS3's interface before/during a bluray movie, than I do gaming on the PC.

Back