Most powerful gfx card to fit in a Shuttle...

Syphon Filter

2[H]4U
Hi guys (& gals),

I'm thinking about building a SFF machine and was wondering if it would be possible to get some gaming use out of it, with that in mind does anyone know what hte largest/most powerful gfx card a Shuttle (not decided on which one yet) is capable of taking?

I'm guessing due to size, power and heat issues that the latest and greatest cards are all a no go (4870 X2 etc). Any tips and info much appreciated.

TIA

SF

With a little bit of creativity and minor modding skill - you can run any video card you want :cool:

With the video card basically on the outside, temps are never an issue!

Note: I'm using a drive bay PSU from Thermaltake to power the video card and used a dremel to cut the case cover with a strip of auto door edge trim to dress it up.

8800gtx-c.jpg

8800GTX-a.jpg

8800gtx-b.jpg

G35_280-1.jpg

G35_280.jpg

hehe cool. I figured you could mod anything you wanted it, I was just wondering what could fit with the case intact!!!

That's a pretty sweet job though, but does it not get noisey with the gfx card and it's cooling exposed like that?

With no modding, only the SX48P2 can fit a GTX 260/280/285. This is because of the 4-pin ATX 12V motherboard connector being situated right in the way of these longer cards, in other P2 chassis like the SP35P2 and SX38P2. In the SX48P2, at least in recent shipments from NewEgg, this connector is bent at a 90 degree angle so the power connector fits underneath the graphics card.

However with a small mod to a 4-pin ATX 12V extension cable (no modding of the system itself), I'm running a GTX 260 in my SP35P2.

hehe cool. I figured you could mod anything you wanted it, I was just wondering what could fit with the case intact!!!

That's a pretty sweet job though, but does it not get noisey with the gfx card and it's cooling exposed like that?

All of the recent dual slot NVIDIA cards I have: 8800GTS, 8800GTX, GTX 280 - the fan is barely audible even under load!

You would need a single slot card for any of the G5 model Shuttles - the new Shuttle H series model should be able to fit most dual slot cards as well as the P series models. I have an 8800GTS in my old SN25P ;)

How long and how many slots do ATI 4870X2 cards need?

I take it they are dual slot but they look incredibly long, I'm guessing these are a no go?

The 4870X2 fits, but I would get a 5.25" bay auxiliary power supply dedicated to it.

Shuttle PSUs are amazing but the 4870X2 is probably just too much. People have tried it in the SX38/48 with the 450W PSU and I think for some it worked fine but others had stability issues.

Back