Motherboard audio drivers with optical out?

Raxxath

Limp Gawd
I'm wondering if I should install the audio drivers from my motherboard if I'm just going to be using optical out to my receiver. Does it make any difference?

I'm only hesitant because so many game crashing problems seem to come from audio driver problems.

99% your motherboard is going to have Realtek audio - I usually say download the latest drivers directly from Realtek.

In my case I download them from Gigabyte for my Z68XP-UD3 because I like the Dolby app and EQ they bundle with it.

I've not tried, but I'm surprised it's working (or will work) without drivers installed. Especially as you select in the drivers/hardware configuration which output you want to use.

I've not tried, but I'm surprised it's working (or will work) without drivers installed. Especially as you select in the drivers/hardware configuration which output you want to use.

I think it's built in to Windows 7, just like the LAN drivers.

Win7 may have drivers for that audio chipset, as it does for most chipsets and other hardware, but it's not "built in". So the question is whether or not the current drivers are working for your intended use. If they are, leave it alone. It they are not, then try other versions starting with the motherboard manufacturer.

Back