Motherboard NIC dead?

DarkStryke

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm running a Rampage 3 Formula that's a little over a month old in a machine here, and upon a reboot today the network adapter is completely gone. I can't find any trace of it in the device manager at all, bios reset to defaults etc doesn't appear to help at all either.

Does anyone have experience with something similar to this? It's as if the onboard via phy doesn't exist as far as win7 is concerned, and I'm really not going to be happy to have to RMA this sucker 37 days in..

its happened with 3/4 mobos ive had. hasnt happened to my main computers yet, but thats only 10 months old at this point.

i keep pci nics around and just throw them in when the onboard dies.

And well I don't know what the heck is going on, but now it's back in device manager as Intel(R) 82567V-2 with the yellow exclamation point icon, a driver reinstall and presto, it's back to working like nothing was wrong.

I'm wondering if sleep modes has been messing with this.. very weird and something I've never seen in years of my builds.

very weird and something I've never seen in years of my builds.
I've seen it quite a bit.

Like another-user, I keep spare NIC cards for this problem.

its happened with 3/4 mobos ive had. hasnt happened to my main computers yet, but thats only 10 months old at this point.

i keep pci nics around and just throw them in when the onboard dies.

I've known it to happen to others (in both homebuilts and prebuilts); it just has never happened to me.

I have PCI NICs I keep around for backups (one RealTek,based and an older 3Com 905B-TX; the latter is so old that I have to keep a driver CD around for it for post-XP flavors of Windows, while Linux live media, and even Solaris live media, have nary a quibble). As the cost of gigabit NICs drops, I will almost certainly add one to my backup drawer (I'm picking up a USB *stick* wireless-N adapter for the drawer when i pick up my new mobo)

I've seen it quite a bit.

Like another-user, I keep spare NIC cards for this problem.

Same here. At work I have a pile of NICs some of which date back to the 1990s. Windows 7 now does not support them but they still work in linux.

Back