Motherboard reports all HDs as bad

narsbars

2[H]4U
I just got an MSI board Z87 with a 3258. It came with a 250gig and Windows 7 but ran really slow and reported the HD as bad.
I replaced the HD with one of my own known good and after a fresh Win 7 install the MB reported this HD as bad.
Of course I ran chkdsk on both and got no negative results.
Any ideas before I just toss this board?

Quick update. Just found this is still under warranty, anyone have any experience with MSI?
I have my Newegg receipt.

Last edited:
chkdsk isn't really a good way to check... What about running the manufacturer's diagnostic utility or a dedicated SMART app.

The wire. Check the wire. The Sata cable. Smart will increment the UDMA CRC errors parameter if you have a bad wire.

I will be replacing the wire and swapping the Sata port tonight. Thanks and anyone with any ideas on the right utility to test with?

I will be replacing the wire and swapping the Sata port tonight. Thanks and anyone with any ideas on the right utility to test with?

Bart's stuff test is pretty cool (for Windows). It just writes, then reads and compares.
And have crystaldiskinfo and the Windows Event (system) Viewer open to periodically see what's going on behind the scenes.

Barts is looking a little long in the tooth but I will try to find it from some site that won't infect me on the download, thanks for the suggestions.

Barts is looking a little long in the tooth but I will try to find it from some site that won't infect me on the download, thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, I too have just noticed the author's page kind of got lost somewhere.
I don't know if it's legal, but I can share.
It's old, but it does the simple job of creating a huge file in free space, writing it with some patterns then reading and comparing. It's simple but effective and - most importantly - non-destructive by default.

Replaced the cable, moved to another Sata port, same results. S.M.A.R.T. reports multiple read errors. Beginning to think the MB is bad. P.S. I am definitely willing to share. Will PM my email.

Back