Motherboard standoffs

SuperCell

Limp Gawd
When I built my computer, I had been under the impression that I would have to select the correct standoffs to fit the motherboard to the case.

Well, it looked as the though case had the standoffs already installed, and I simply screwed the motherboard to the case. Surprisingly, every single hole in the board lined up with the threaded standoffs in the case.

Is this typical?

The case is an Antec P-182, and I've got a gigabyte board.

It is typical. Screw holes on motherboards and cases are actually standardized (I think by Intel). So a form factor such as Micro-ATX will have specific screw positions and manufacturers who want their board labeled as Micro-ATX must have screws in most of the positions (I forget how many is minimum, 8 maybe?).

So, in short, mATX or ATX cases will accommodate all mATX or ATX labeled boards!

I think he just meant, "was the fact that my case, already had the standoffs in the correct ATX spots, typical" to which I would answer no. Most cases come without any standoffs installed, however, I could understand if manufacturers started putting the default 9 ATX standoffs in, since ATX and mATX are the most common board types.

actually on the p180 series... not only do they come preinstalled but they are part of the motherboard tray... i would have to say that is very uncommon... but not really a big deal... im assuming they think that deadens sound from the motherboard vibrating... whatever...

Part of the motherboard tray? Uncommon, I would think
Pre-installed? Sometimes not all of them are pre-installed. You have to play a bit of a matching game to find which holes fit the motherboard.

if i felt like opening up my computer id take pictures of it... the standoffs are actually part of my motherboard tray... as in u cant take them off... as in u can actually see the hardware from the backside of the motherboard tray... its hex shaped on the backside of the tray... but thats how it came from the factory... uncommon indeed...

Back