motorola defy...

black_b[ ]x

[H]ard|Gawd
gorilla glass, dustproof, water resistant (3 feet) up to 30 minutes... this looks nice to me. It's running android 2.1 though...
2.1 vs. 2.2 link
1. Android 2.2 has more speed and performance optimizations
2. Android 2.2 has USB tethering and Wi-Fi hotspot functionality not found in 2.1
3. Android 2.2 allows for app installation to the memory card while 2.1 does not
4. Android 2.2 adds Flash 10.1 support absent in 2.1
5. Android 2.2 has a lot of modified and added APIs
6. Android 2.2 improves support for Microsoft Exchange over 2.1
In a demo video, they were very dodgy on the "when will it get 2.2" question.

To update from my earlier thread, I dumped the iPhone4 and switched to a G2 on t-mobile, I think I can upgrade before sunday. The G2 is great, it's been fast with no dropped calls at home, although I notice its a bit heavy at 6.5 ounces and I don't use the keyboard much. The Defy is 30% lighter, smaller (same screen size), with a bigger battery, and cheaper. Thoughts?

keep your G2 imo. F**K motorola in the ear. If you are not on red they will bone you. OTOH the g2 is getting a OTA update it looks like very soon.

i'm hoping the G2 update includes the voice over wifi feature. Why the hate on motorola though?

The idea of a phone that you can use as bowling ball does seem a bit cute... but every time I go snowboarding or on my motorcycle (or sailing for that matter) I am very conscious of keeping my phone out of harm's way. Plus, the G2 is heavy, bulky and I have zero need for a physical keyboard. Yes, the G2 has "4G" (worthless overseas and markets outside T-MO's reach, and I travel a lot), and it has 2.2. But the ability to move apps to to the SD card is up to the developer, not you. That aside, the Defy is very light, has a smaller form factor than iPhone (but has a larger screen), and can stand getting the shit kicked out of it. It has wifi calling (and was told by T-Mo the only other wifi calling Androids will be the "4G" phones). It's a really great phone and exactly what I need. Advice: don't let people tell you what you need. You should check it out.

Back