Mounting 1366 processor in MoBo socket.

sylva

Limp Gawd
Hi.

This is my first Intel processor. Till now I was an AMD guy, but recently I realised that no AMD processor will do the job for the amount of data crunching that my tasks need. My question is a very simple one:

When trying to secure the processor in the socket by lowering the lever, the top forms an approximately 15-20 degrees angle with the processor and won't go farther down. I think that the pressure on the processor becomes quite high. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? The processor is correctly lowered into the socket with its notches into the two side posts of the socket. I am afraid that too much pressure may damage the micro pins on the bottom of the socket.

Any opinion?

Thanks, S.

Thank you very much, mETRo. Another concern, derived from the first, is that becuase of the excessive pressure, the pins would be bent. Surely enough, by looking at them with a magnifier, they are not bent, but all in an angle, just like crops in the wind. This may make sense since in this way the pins get elasticity and will be pushing against the copper wafer contacts on the processor like springs. I hope this is also normal.

Anyway, thanks again, S.

good job for asking, I was super scared when I did my first socket 775 one, and you cannot RMA your motherboard if the pins are bent because its physical damage. All I do is match up the 2 notches on either side of the processor to the 2 notches in the socket, and then just wiggle it a tad to make sure theres no play. Once you do that just lower the lever and there will be some pressure, but its natural, its just the pushback from the pins to ensure a flush connection.

Thank you all. I'll procede to work on my i7 950 machine. The MoBo is an MSI X58A-GD45. It looks nice and complex and hope it's not DOA or some of its elements not working properly. I bought a big CPU cooler, since the stock is kind of a joke, considering the amount of data that will go through the processor. This will be heavy duty stuff. Any further comments more than welcome.

S.

Thank you all. I'll procede to work on my i7 950 machine. The MoBo is an MSI X58A-GD45. It looks nice and complex and hope it's not DOA or some of its elements not working properly. I bought a big CPU cooler, since the stock is kind of a joke, considering the amount of data that will go through the processor. This will be heavy duty stuff. Any further comments more than welcome.

S.

Regardless of your data load, unless you're over clocking, the stock cooler is fine.

Well,

My reason for a bigger cooler stems from the behavior of the Phenom II 940 that I have in another computer. There, when I run my sequencer's orchestral tracks the temp of the processor goes from about 38 C to close to 60 C. And, believe me, I can say that there's an air current in the box close to that of a tornado. In that computer I have 8 gigs RAM, which for the load is sufficient using 16 bit samples. But if I am to go to using 24 samples, things change and the need goes to over 16 gigs. I am not wed to the idea of big coolers though and will try the stock first. Thanks for your input. S.

PS: signing off, I have to be an early riser, but don't hesitate to leave me feedback. Thanks again.

It depends on the AMD processor. Some of the higher end CPUs come with pretty decent coolers with copper heat pipes. But a lot of the basic athlons just come with a solid aluminum? heatsink that are pretty subpar. The stock intel healsinks I actually have running in about 9 of my servers at work and run just fine, only thing I did was use some arctic silver 5 and they are running solid.

Thank you all.

After extremely careful assemblage everything worked at first shot. It still works impecably. The MoBo is an MSI X58-GD45 with plenty of PCI-e slots, but only one PCI. There's no floppy in this computer because I didn't need any for the past 5 years. Since I bought the Cooler Master 212 heat sink, I mounted it and idle temps are anywhere between 34 and 37C. I don't yet know how the temps will hold when running big music software with tons of tracks and plugins.

Now another question. I have a computer with an AMD Phenom II X4 940. This runs with its onwn stock cooler and the news is not good. Processor idles at 48C and goes up to almost 60 when running some more demanding software. I'll try to put in more Arctic Silver first, but if it doesn't work I'll try a third party cooler. Here's the rub: the Abit AX78 MoBo (an AM2+) does not have heat sink mounting holes. The stock cooler is mounted with the old-fashioned pressure clamp. So:

There are quite a few cooler manufacturers that claim their product to mount well on AM2+ boards but I couldn't download any manual to see HOW they mount on boards that don't have mounting holes for heatsinks. In some forums people complain about the plastic bracket surrounding the processor socket to brake after awhile. IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAD TO WRESTLE WITH THIS PROBLEM?

Thanks again, S.

Last edited:
Thank you all.

After extremely careful assemblage everything worked at first shot. It still works impecably. The MoBo is an MSI X58-GD45 with plenty of PCI-e slots, but only one PCI. There's no floppy in this computer because I didn't need any for the past 5 years. Since I bought the Cooler Master 212 heat sink, I mounted it and idle temps are anywhere between 34 and 37C. I don't yet know how the temps will hold when running big music software with tons of tracks and plugins.

Now another question. I have a computer with an AMD Phenom II X4 940. This runs with its onwn stock cooler and the news is not good. Processor idles at 48C and goes up to almost 60 when running some more demanding software. I'll try to put in more Arctic Silver first, but if it doesn't work I'll try a third party cooler. Here's the rub: the Abit AX78 MoBo (an AM2+) does not have heat sink mounting holes. The stock cooler is mounted with the old-fashioned pressure clamp. So:

There are quite a few cooler manufacturers that claim their product to mount well on AM2+ boards but I couldn't download any manual to see HOW they mount on boards that don't have mounting holes for heatsinks. In some forums people complain about the plastic bracket surrounding the processor socket to brake after awhile. IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAD TO WRESTLE WITH THIS PROBLEM?

Thanks again, S.

Most of the time, heatsink makers will adapt their mounting mechanism to work with the default AM2 mount system. Otherwise, coolers like the Hyper 212+ come with their own backplate and brace. You would need to remove the default AM2 mounting hardware and install 3rd party.

Back