Mounting a Zalman 7000A-AlCu

ShepsCrook

[H]F Junkie
I'm having a hard time figuring out how I would mount my Zalman 7000A-AlCu onto my new K8N Neo 2 Plat board. Since the Heatsink/Fan only comes with instructions for 754. But I checked on the Zalman site that it will work with the 939 boards.

What do I need to do? Remove the current mounting brackets?

ok, I just saw how I do it, but how can I remove the backplate to the board? The K8N's backplate seems to be on there pretty good.

I always find this question perplexing. When I bought my Zalman 7000A I got 2 heights of the brass standoffs. One is full height, if you use a backplate that doesn't "poke through" the motherboard. The others are shorter, for use with backplates that protrude through the MB like the K8N Neo2 default backplate.

Do these Zalman's generally NOT come with both heights?

Thanks

B

sounds like maybe you got a 7000b maybe? all of the 7000a's we sell only come with 1 set of "nipples" as zalman calls them.

oh and to get off the back plate use a heat gun or hair dryer.

tokath said:
sounds like maybe you got a 7000b maybe? all of the 7000a's we sell only come with 1 set of "nipples" as zalman calls them.

oh and to get off the back plate use a heat gun or hair dryer.

No, the funny thing is that I got it around the time that the "A" models came out.

B

Well, I have the same one as he mentioned. My A came with both sets. Because you have to use the other set for a P4. Anyways. I got it all figured out. I was looking at the backplate to the one that came with the board and I eventually figured out that it had a form of adhesive.

The main reason why I was having trouble was because I thought that since there was already a backplate on the board, that I didn't have to take it off. But when I tested the heatsink on the mounts, it would have been loose and barely even on the chip.
After further testing of the backplate, I was able to pop a corner loose, which then made it very easy to get the rest of it off. So I then put the Zalman backplate on, and then everything else just came together.

Right now I'm just working on formatting my SATA drive and installing Windows. :)

Hints for future Inquiring minds: You WILL have to take the mounting bracket off of the board, but that's easy.
You DO have to use your Zalman backplate if the original backplate has mounts that come through the board and are raised up.

i remember reading that you can heat the backplate up with a hair dryer to loosen the glue.

ShepsCrook said:
Well, I have the same one as he mentioned. My A came with both sets. Because you have to use the other set for a P4. Anyways.

You DO have to use your Zalman backplate if the original backplate has mounts that come through the board and are raised up.

Obviously I don't know what came with your Zalman, but mine definitely came with 2 different sets of standoffs for the Athlon 64. Both sets came in a bag labeled "Zalman Nipples (For Athlon 64)". I also just looked at the instructions and the "nipples" I have are most definitely not used with the P4.

I have used this same heatsink with a P4 as well as 2 Athlon 64 systems. The first one was a K8N Neo Platinum and the current one is a K8N Neo2 Platinum. I didn't remove the MSI backplate from either board. I used the shorter nipples. The heatsink fit/fits properly and my overclocked temps NEVER exceed 46C under full load.

I also know that this is correct because A) my instructions SHOW a backplate that protrudes through the board like the MSI one, and B) when I switched to the Athlon 64 I called Zalman and confirmed that the short ones were to be used. They told me that the short ones were for boards like the MSI, and the long ones were for the Zalman backplate.

Again, I don't know what currently ships with the unit but I do know that some of them were set up for this. Since mine is one of these, that's why I was curious.

Edit: I just checked out the instructions on the Zalman site and they definitely don't show the extra nipples that I got with mine. The only P4 that I see which requires any of these is the socket 775. My cooler definitely predates that. Only the 478 was out then.

B

I found the flash video on Zalman's website to be quite helpful in installing mine. I used the AV8 backplate from Abit, only odd thing was I had to flip it upside down to get the 'nipples' (only one set, retail) to screw in securely.

May have to remove and reinstall mine today tho, as I am getting reported CPU temps around 60c with full load... maybe too much AS5...

I have a Zalman 7000 and this same board, and have tested the Zalman on it. Removing the backplate on my K8N Neo2 was easy. I lifted the board up, and used my thumbs to push on the metal cylinders that poke through the motherboard where the factory heatsink bracket screws to. I just alternated back and forth and in about 15 seconds, it peeled away with no problems at all.

You then install the Zalman backplate, along with 2 of the larger paper washers and then the two round cylinder shaped standoffs. Screw those into the back plate nice and tight and then screw the heatsink to those using the two outer screw holes and the smaller screws that are included.

It's a piece of cake!

Back