Mounting your SSD or 2.5" HD

cnick79

[H]ard|Gawd
How are you guys mounting your 2.5" drives into a standard ATX case? Does your case support 2.5" drives or are you buying an adapter? I have a SSD drive waiting for install but I'm having a hard time spending $12-$15+ for a metal or plastic adapter. It's the $5-$6 shipping that kills the deal on these things.

I use the Silverstone SDP08. It can mount 1 or 2 SSDs in the space of a 3.5" HDD. It is $7.99 on amazon.com. I don't know how much shipping is if you don't have Prime.

I use the Silverstone SDP08. It can mount 1 or 2 SSDs in the space of a 3.5" HDD. It is $7.99 on amazon.com. I don't know how much shipping is if you don't have Prime.

I ordered the same. I just bought enough to get free super saver shipping.

$5.58 shipping for just one from Amazon.

My Torqx came with an adapter, so it's mounted in the HDD cage with my other drives. If it didn't come with that, i would probably just end up laying it on the bottom of the case since there's no moving parts to worry about.

I used Scythe Bay Rafter 2.5 to 5 from directtron. Goes in the 5.25 slots.

+1. These are very nice adapters, and an excellent value, though I haven't tried stacking two drives on them.

Avoid the "rail" type adapters that are just two brackets that screw into the sides of the drive. These work fine for mounting 3.5" drives in 5.25" bays, but IMHO the thin little laptop drives are going to be more susceptible to bending stresses if the case is bumped or dropped. Also, some of the tray type adapters (e.g. StarTech) are drilled and tapped for floppy/optical drive M3 screws rather than hard drive 6-32 threads. This makes them almost unusable in cases that need custom screws to work with their hard drive bays (e.g. Antec P18x). Though if you want to mount the drive in a floppy bay it should work. The StarTech is IMHO a crappy design and should be avoided.

I was looking at the Silverstone SDP08 before I created this thread. I may leave the SSD on the bottom of my case unmounted for now until I can find free shipping on the SDP08 or I break down and spend the $14. At least these adapters can hold two SSDs so there's room for a future add-on - although there doesn't seem like there will be any space between them.

I used 2 thmubscrews to the side of my drive cage..works perfect!I just couldnt see spending any dough for mounting these as they all seemed overpriced for little benefit.

I was looking at the Silverstone SDP08 before I created this thread. I may leave the SSD on the bottom of my case unmounted for now until I can find free shipping on the SDP08 or I break down and spend the $14. At least these adapters can hold two SSDs so there's room for a future add-on - although there doesn't seem like there will be any space between them.

For SSDs it shouldn't matter as they hardly generate any heat.

Thankfully the 800D took SSDs into account and supplied the proper screw holes on the hotswap trays.

Those blasted inserts are rather pricey for what they are.

Back