movies not playing

gwai lo

[H]ard|Gawd
ok..so my friend has this problem..his movies don't play, but the sound comes through

Monitor is Rosewill r911e
Movies tried were in mpeg and avi
Media Players tried windows media player, real player, quicktime, divx player, winamp

System specs, if relevant:
AMD athlon XP 2600+
640 MB of RAM
Diamond Stealth ATI 9200se
Albatron kx600 pro

He said it was working fine this morning..but now there's no video :eek:
I'm no video expert..so I have no idea...and since it was working, but doesn't work now..that makes it even worse. ><
Sounds like overheatage..but LCDs don't get hot..so I have no idea :confused:

So..yeah anyone got ideas? :(

i really doubt that is a display problem... i mean does it display the os or play games at all? i figure its some sort of codec problem or something wrong with your overlay, check gspot codec checker or whatever and try reinstalling some video codecs... ive had a lot of problems with xvid and what not.

i dunno why that would be monitor problem

it sounded like a display problem because it was working...and he hasn't done anything different...

works just fine in OS and runs games just fine, just no movies...i'll have him take a look at the codecs and stuff

well nevermind it's fixed..and how he did it makes no sense to me..

had to have been some messed up video codecs, i've had mine go bonkers for no reason before

Sometimes with dual displays and such there will be no overlay on one screen. Like if you ever tried to present a video on a tv through a laptop. You'll find that the video appears only on the laptop screen but is gone on mirrored desktop on the tv, it can only do one screen at a time.

On dual displays, usually the computer knows to switched this, once the video is dragged all the way to the other screen it updates to that side.

Maybe some odd thing like that happened on his system, even if he doesn't have dual screen. I bet if he let one play with a blank screen, then opened another video in a different app it would work because the second video would be done by cpu this time.

Though, he fixed it so it doesn't matter.

Back