Moving from 5.1 to ???? (budget $150 total)

Owskie

Limp Gawd
I have an old Creative Labs 5.1 Speaker System down stairs in my basement, but I am sick of all the wires and hassle that goes with that system. I want to upgrade, but I don't know what is what now days in the speaker world. I only have 150$ total to spend, and that is w/ shipping..

any ideas?

so you don't want surround sound, I'm guessing?

not much has really changed in the last 10 or 20 years, in terms of technology, you've still got basic stereo setups, stereo+sub (2.1), headphones, and various other options

whats your goal with this setup (what is being hooked up to it, what is it being used for, etc)?

Gaming/music ... Well I wouldn't mind surround sound but all of the speakers in my 5.1 are wired, not wireless.

wireless speakers are fairly rare, and generally frowned upon for a variety of reasons (price, performance, the fact that they often need just as many wires as a wired solution, etc)

honestly the only thing you're going to be able to accomplish with your budget is either a pair of stereo speakers, or another 5.1 computer setup

the popular speakers around here are the
Klipsch Promedia 2.1
M-audio studiophile AV40's

if it were upto me id go with the av40's but thats becuase i listen to music way more
(have headphones for gaming)

Yeah I was looking at the AV40's, but I'm sure its a downgrade to go to 2.1 from 5.0 , im not sure what to do.

Sounds like you need to decide a bit more what you want. First question:

What is more important: Less wires or surround sound? You can't have it both ways at this point. If you want 5.1 surround, you'll have more wires to deal with. 2.0 system have less wires, but of course aren't surround. So, the first step is to decide which is more important of that.

I've pretty much decided if I went 2.0 Id go with the AV40's, what are some good 2.1 and 5.1 options?

I've pretty much decided if I went 2.0 Id go with the AV40's, what are some good 2.1 and 5.1 options?
There aren't any good PC multimedia 5.1 options in the $150 price range, may as well scratch that off your list if you're looking for a meaningful upgrade.

There are some entry level refurbished onkyo home-theater-in-a-box setups for under $200 but it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for.

I'm not up to speed on the 2.1 options for under $200.

There aren't any good PC multimedia 5.1 options in the $150 price range, may as well scratch that off your list if you're looking for a meaningful upgrade.

There are some entry level refurbished onkyo home-theater-in-a-box setups for under $200 but it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for.

I'm not up to speed on the 2.1 options for under $200.

you can add a sub to the AV40's, but that'd probably be more inline with "under $300", same is true of the Swan active monitors

theres also the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's (which are under $200)

Altec Lansing still makes a decent ~$70 pair of 2.1 speakers, but I'd probably take the PM2.1's over them if space isn't a concern

5.1 wise, start looking at classifieds, refurbs, etc

Back