Moving in Nine Days - How should I transport LCD Monitors?

CanonicalAbstract

Special Attention Whore
Hello,

I currently have an Acer 19" WS and a NEC 15" LCD monitors that I will need to transport to my new apartment. I currently don't have the boxes to either or, and I want to be EXTREMELY careful so as to not damage these monitors.

Does anyone have any good ideas as to how I should transport these? For reference, I will most likely be packing everything up in a UHaul, however, I'm not opposed to leaving these behind and transporting them in my car once I'm done with the UHaul.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

With no boxes, I'd just wait and put them in your car. Pretty risky packing it in a U-haul with lots of other stuff that could fall onto/crush the screens. Regardless, you could find a box that fits, then take off the stands and rap the panels in a lot of cloth/clothes if you're desperate. Also, if you have any drawers/closets to be packed in the U-haul, you could put them inside those after wrapping/securing them for protection.

I used to just wrap a towel around my LCD and lay face down on the seat.

never had any problems... as for moving my current LCD... :|

Yeah, I'm thinking of wrapping both in blankets, or just putting them in the back between pillows or something. The UHaul I want to use mainly for furniture and my TV, and the other electronics can go in the car with me.

I should have thought of that, thanks! :D

A bit off subject, but at Quakecon every year, I see some guys literally DRAGGING their crt's by the power cords and/or vga cables :eek: Of course these are the same guys with several year old rigs that can barely run CS 1.6 at 30fps.....

Go to your local stores such as Autozone and see if they have any boxes, I got a ton of boxes from them at the end of the day on a delivery day.

I would towel wrap the monitor as others have said.

I actually kept the box my 245BW came in because I knew I would be moving sometime in the next month.

A bit off subject, but at Quakecon every year, I see some guys literally DRAGGING their crt's by the power cords and/or vga cables :eek: Of course these are the same guys with several year old rigs that can barely run CS 1.6 at 30fps.....

Yep, I saw a dude drop a 20" Sony Trinitron at a LAN in Chicago 2 years ago, man did that make a mess. I just used my laptop at the lan, screw lugging around the desktop case and monitor.

Wrap the lcd screen itself with a clean garbage bag so that it doesnt get scratched. Then wrap soft clothing around it.

Put that bundle in a luggage case so that the lcd bundle cannot move.

See, this is why I'm glad I keep my boxes for my LCDs, so I don't have to worry about this, lol. In lieu of using the original boxes, I'd perhaps use some bubble wrap, and keep the monitors in the car if possible. Just anything you could do to keep them immobile would be for the best, I would imagine. Maybe look to see if you can get some thin boxes in order to put the monitors in. Sorry if that's not any help, but I would definitely keep them out of the U-Haul if possible, that just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

See, this is why I'm glad I keep my boxes for my LCDs, so I don't have to worry about this, lol. In lieu of using the original boxes, I'd perhaps use some bubble wrap, and keep the monitors in the car if possible. Just anything you could do to keep them immobile would be for the best, I would imagine. Maybe look to see if you can get some thin boxes in order to put the monitors in. Sorry if that's not any help, but I would definitely keep them out of the U-Haul if possible, that just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Yeah, as I said before, any electronics (computer, laptop, video games, DVD player) those are going in my car. I have towels, blankets and pillows, my LCDs are going to be towel-wrapped and sit in the front with me.

Now I just need to rent the UHaul :D

There's CaseAce and their GearGrip LCD harnesses, but the cost of the harnesses is probably more than the value of the monitors at this point.

I have the Wide model (fits up to 24" LCDs) which I use with my 20WMGX2. The stand is still exposed, but the LCD panel itself is well protected.

Back