Moving Quantum SDLT320 from external housing into computer

the_cheeky_badger

Weaksauce
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me move my external Quantum SDLT320 drive into my computer. Currently it is housed in an external unit that supplies power, a terminator and the channel selector.

I no longer want the drive external and want to put it inside my computer. I've taken off the case and can see that the actual tape drive is designed to fit into a dual CD bay. I believe this card will satisfy the internal connectivity but I'm not sure what to do about the terminator or the channel selector as they are moulded to the external housing, is there anything I will need to do when I move the unit into my PC? I've included some pictures of the dismantled unit to provide some visual aid

20120225_130516.jpg

20120225_130508.jpg

20120225_130448.jpg

Thanks!

Well, the SDLT320 is available in both LVD and HVD SCSI. What is the specific part # of the drive you have? The card you posted (for 100+ $$$) is available on ebay as the Adaptec 2940UW for about 10-15 bucks. The 2940UW is good for up to 40Mb/s if you have the HVD. If you have the LVD version, you will be better off with the AHA-2940U2W, which will match the 80MB/s capability of that version. The AHA-2940U2W is also available on ebay for about 5 bucks more, and it also does HVD so is the better choice. As for the terminator, you will need a cable with attached terminator such as http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCSI-U320-6...502?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d32825bc6 which is available for $10-15 delivered. Lastly, the scsi ID switch is just a multi-jumpoer connector. Depending on how the drive acts with no jumper, it will either show up as ID0 or will error out. If so, just download the manual and jumper the proper pins and make it ID0 (I expect this will be the only SCSI device on the chain).
One last thing, moving the drive about could possibly jar loose a dust bunny, so if you have a DLT cleaning card I would use that once after the move. If not, grab one off the bay because you will need it eventually.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks mwroobel for your reply, the model I have is the TR-S23AA which I believe is LDV so I should probably get the model you mentioned to achieve better speeds, I've found this one on ebay that seems to match

Will the cable you mentioned be compatible with that card if so I'll get both of them together and I should be good to go!

I have cleaning cartridges and a number of jumpers in case I need to jumper the ID switch, I'll see how it goes with nothing on at first

I've uploaded a picture of the details on the drive in case you need any of the other numbers to check anything, thanks for your help!

20120225_160528.jpg

Here is the link for the jumpers http://www.quantum.com/ServiceandSu...oads/SDLT320/JumperSettingsSDLT320/Index.aspx It seems that all jumpers off should be fine and will set the unit for ID0. The card should be set for ID7 but if by chance it is also set for ID0 you will have to re-set the card first. Also make sure that you flash the card to the latest firmware, some of the older firmware 2940U2Ws (2.11) had issues which were fixed with later firmware (2.57.2) with tape drives www.adaptec.com/en-us/downloads/bios_fw/bios_fw_ver/productid=aha-2940u2w&dn=aha-2940u2w.html

ok slight problem, the aha-2940u2w does not support Windows 7 x64 which I should have mentioned I am running. So I despite everything connecting ok I could not use the card or drive!

I did have an Adaptec SCSI Card 29320LPE which is low profile only, I removed the bracket and installed it into my machine to test which has proven everything to be fine.

So, I could do with a recommendation on either a bracket to buy to attach to the Adaptec SCSI Card 29320LPE to make it fit into a full size computer or another card that is both full size and supported by Windows 7 x64 and of course Windows Server 2008 r2 as this is what I will be connecting to the tape unit via a virtual machine.

Many thanks for your advice so far and I hope you can help me with this too

Thanks!

ok slight problem, the aha-2940u2w does not support Windows 7 x64 which I should have mentioned I am running. So I despite everything connecting ok I could not use the card or drive!

I did have an Adaptec SCSI Card 29320LPE which is low profile only, I removed the bracket and installed it into my machine to test which has proven everything to be fine.

So, I could do with a recommendation on either a bracket to buy to attach to the Adaptec SCSI Card 29320LPE to make it fit into a full size computer or another card that is both full size and supported by Windows 7 x64 and of course Windows Server 2008 r2 as this is what I will be connecting to the tape unit via a virtual machine.

Many thanks for your advice so far and I hope you can help me with this too

Thanks!

Ah. If the 29320 is working for you, stick with that. If not, there is a hack I read about and used in the past that might work... http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=35074&st=0&p=327126&#entry327126 Can't make any guarantees though. As to the bracket, you might email some of the sellers on ebay selling the low profile card and see if they have the standard profile bracket to sell (it came with both).

the full width bracket from an lsi 20320-R should fit that card, i think. they are cheaper than dirt on ebay, should be less than 10 dollars shipped (you don't even need a functional one)

Last edited:
Thanks for your help but I can't seem to find a suitable bracket in the UK, and all the ebayers I contacted said that they don't supply them!

So, if I can't get hold of a bracket what is a good low profile card to buy so I can just put it in the system and be done with it!

Thanks again for your help so far

Thanks for your help but I can't seem to find a suitable bracket in the UK, and all the ebayers I contacted said that they don't supply them!

So, if I can't get hold of a bracket what is a good low profile card to buy so I can just put it in the system and be done with it!

Thanks again for your help so far

Pi. Has brackets which may or may not fit your card. They are less than a buck each so you might want to try a few different ones such as http://www.pimfg.com/Product-Detail/BRACKET-310 or the main page at http://www.pimfg.com/Sub-Category/Mounting-Brackets. Another option is to buy some old pci lp card off ebay with a full height bracket, like the adaptec 2903 which MAY fit and can be had for $10 (you will have to check out the adaptec datasheets which should have board pics and dimensions.

Back