MP3 / MP4 Player Questions.

SAW

[H]ard|Gawd
Howdy [H] :)

Ok, so, gonna throw myself under the bus here. I know next to nothing about these devices. My head is stuck in the late 80's early 90's. If I wanted to listen to music, I slapped in a tape/CD or turned on the radio...

Here we are, wayyy later and now I have a 9yr old daughter who was given an MP4 player for her birthday. I asked her why I never see her using it. The answer, as a father, tore into me. She said she didnt know how to get music onto it. Here I am, feeling dumb cause I dont know either, but I can build a computer. Oyy.

So, what I need is, well, basically, any info regarding MP3 and MP4 players. Where to get music. How to get music. What is this going to cost me (this time :rolleyes: ).

Anyone have a basic nutshell, this is that, that is this way of "Updating" me :) Please...

Amazon/mp3 Costs on average about .99 a song. No DRM - you download them directly to your PC. Then, depending on what MP3 player you have, you copy the files over. (Most MP3 players can be seen as a removable drive when hooked up to your PC via USB - simply drag and drop the files onto them.)

Hmmm. So,....Hmmm. Again, forgive my "stranded on an island" syndrome. So, basically, what im dealing with here is a portable music file player. I just realized how insane my last statement just sounded. I am outta the loop big time.

Any other info is GREATLY appreciated. I just CANT be that "Dad" that has their kids show them what to do on computers and technology. I just CANT.

Then spend a little time and read up here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp3_player

After that, Google whatever brand of player she has for particulars - like a manufacturer's online manual.

The internet is your friend! After some self study - you can always come back and ask specific questions here - but you really need to do some reading up on the topic first.

SAW,
I do what Supercharged said. Store my music on a hard drive and drag and drop the ones I want onto my MP3 player. I'm old too so I have quite a CD collection which replaced my record collection. About 400 or so. I burned them to my hard drive. For anything I don't have I go to Amazon and download them. No monthly subscription fee, no DRM, and costs about $.99 per song. Some premium songs cost $1.29. They often have sales too and always have $5.00 albums (not that many are worth the $5.00). There are subscription services that offer so many songs for the monthly fee too.
Once I have the songs on my hard drive they become very portable. I can even load up a thumb drive and insert it into my Blu-ray player. I can stream them there too. My music collection is on all my PCs and I can listen to it from my living room stereo.
It may take a little to get started. I had to burn all of my CDs. Going on line to purchase then download music is a snap. It is a lot more convenient than going to the store and buying CDs. I only do this for music that I want to be uncompressed (lossless). I can always rip an MP3 from that.
Now all of those CDs that used to line my wall are nowhere in sight.

Back