Mplayer won't play videos anymore

BillLeeLee

[H]F Junkie
Hey all,

I moved my desktop from my home to my apartment up here at campus this past week, and now my mplayer refuses to output the video stream of my videos. This worked when I was at home.

The main difference is that at home, I was running dual monitors with xinerama, but I only brought one monitor with me. I tried disabling Xinerama, recompiling mplayer from scratch (how I originally installed it), but no matter what I can't get it to output the video stream of videos I was watching just days ago.

With the '-vo x11' flag I can play video, but I can't fullscreen it since the x11 vo is a little different. I can force software zoom, but even with a 3 GHz CPU, mplayer still yells that my machine's too slow to do that.

I just want xv to play my video streams again.

Thanks.

Try -vo sdl and -vo xv. -vo gl may also work, if you've got it built in. If you find one that works, change your mplayer config to use it. The location of the config file is printed when mplayer starts - mine's in /usr/share/mplayer/mplayer.conf.

Sounds silly, but reboot your X server once or twice.

It solved it for me in a similar configuration/situation.

Thanks for the suggestions. Xv wouldn't work, which was the problem. x11 vo would work but I couldn't make it fullscreen (just has the video as original size in the center).

I then edited xorg.conf and took out the line under device saying "Monitor Layout" I guess mPlayer doesn't like that since I don't have my second monitor.

All is good for now. Thanks for the help.

Back