MSConfig Question (Blank Process)

nancyboy

Weaksauce
image1yy.jpg

I was looking in my MSConfig and noticed a blank process that I havent seen before.
Does anyone know what this process does and would it be safe to disable it?
Its kind of strange that it doesnt have a name like the rest. Has anyone else come across this?

Thanks,

run some spyware checkers...its probably spyware....ive seen that before and if memory serves me...which it probably don't :p , its most likely spyware....and it shouldnt hurt to disable it.....but id run adaware and spybot or even the MS anti-spyware proggy...

well first scroll over and see what exe it is trying to run of check in regedit. If it is something you dont know or never heard of run your spyware checks. Im thinking it is spyware most legit programs have a title in msconfig

My theory is, if its not good enough for a name... its not good enough to run in the background.

I kill any nameless entries.

What's the location in the registry? It's not visible in the screenshot.

image19rk.jpg

I looked in the registry and can't find a blank process, I do see the others listed.
I'm just going to disable it and see what happens. I have run adaware, spybot & both
havent found anything to do with that process.

I've noticed it running on OEM, out of the box machines, so far only Dells and Sonys, both of which have plenty of bloatware out of the box.

I've always killed it and nothing has come back to bite me yet. Yet...

Badger_Sly... While I agree with you comment in theory... you do realize if he shuts down everything his firewall goes down, right?

That would be the first Item, Zclient from Zone labs.

Leareth said:
Badger_Sly... While I agree with you comment in theory... you do realize if he shuts down everything his firewall goes down, right?

Yes.

It's just an extra 3rd party firewall.

Back